Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #31
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Why can't I get off the DIS? I love reading these trip reports! I loved them before, but now that I started one - it's even worse!! Especially folks who were there the same time!!

Keep it up - I'm enjoying it!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #32
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Part 4 1/2, still Day 2 March 24th[U]

A friendly reminder about the cast-- Me, The Fixer (because I fix problems and situations, not things), 42 year-old obsessive Disney planner, wife and mom
DH 44, Baloo! Told me early in our dating he wanted to honeymoon at Disney. Shrek (sorry, but he is…an ogre with a heart! Everyone calls him Shrek. We’ve never been to Universal so don’t flame me. ) , Mr. Incredible, too.
DS11, A, Calvin AND Hobbes, sweet, the imagineer, black belt, lives for Disney magic, Cal, has firm plans to work for Disney. Not a greedy spender like his brother…
DS6, E, Schmev, made of steel but terrified of Splash Mountain, Happy, Golden Sunshine, Buff. Loves to spend money like his father.

Our friends:They will be known as The Gatelatch family. Explanations to come! Keep reading! CookMaster, GS12, GS9 (Gatelatch sons)
The CookMaster, became my friend through our sons’ friendship. Songbird and lover-of-life, has zesty hair, Scoutmaster, The Magician (you’ll see!)
Cledus B. Gatelatch: The RugDoctor, , Aladdin, can’t vacation more than 6 days
Their DS12, GS12, actor and awesome kid, Boy Scout, Captain Hook, terrific friend to my A!
Their DS9, or GS9, comic book writer extraordinaire, Beat, C, has written two hilarious comic books about “The Fixer” (me) and “The CookMaster” (his mom). More on that later.

When we left our band of eight, seven of us were dripping off Splash Mountain. Did I mention it was cold that morning? The CookMaster and I were disgruntled with our flat hair and drippy waistbands. Then, her phone rang. She had a call from a friend. Not just any friend, but a genuine Disney cast member.

Now, the CookMaster had a glorious performing career in the parks and on the stage of our wonderful now-laid-to-rest Opryland theme park in Nashville. She has been on the stage with many a Grand Old Opry member and is a dynamo of a singer and dancer herself. Whew, the stories she tells!!!!!!! On this day, though, she is chattin’ it up with one of her former Opry stagemates who has gone on to the live stages of your-favorite-park-and-mine. More on his actual cast role later.

This guy, who had lost touch with the CookMaster in recent years, happily answered her pretrip email and is calling with surprises for us!!!!!!!! Yes, all of us!! Cause he knows some really big secrets about how to get sneaky hooty-hoo meet-and greets with characters and performers. And would we be available to wait behind The Castle at the end of the 4:15 Cinderellabration to meet the cast? Do you think the boys would be OK with that? Boys, toys. WE want to go!!!! And yes, our sons will smile and show gratitude in the presence of Disney royalty!! You bet we’ll be there, soggy waistbands or not!!

TourGuideMiKE even allowed us time to go. The day was not even half over, full of promise, and best of all, we still had plenty of time to go back to the Poly for a quick meet-and-greet with our hairdryers….

Lots more to come on Day 2 and we still have 8 more days! I’ll be here forever! But will you????

Jamal, enjoying one of The CookMaster's cookies at the EPCOT gate!!

NEXT chapter:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=39
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!

Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2006 at 01:48 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #33
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

Jamal,

Ooohhh, this sounds like such a special trip! I'm really enjoying your report! Keep 'em comin!!

(Did you meet the Beast Prince? Rhonda will be SOOOOOO jealous!!)
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #34
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshClan
Ooohhh, this sounds like such a special trip! I'm really enjoying your report! Keep 'em comin!!

(Did you meet the Beast Prince? Rhonda will be SOOOOOO jealous!!)
Maaaaaaaayyybe
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #35
GeorgiaAristocat
Côôl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Wonderful, wonderful. One of TR Board faithful lurkers checking in to encourage both speed and thoroughness when writing (that is, stretch it out as long as possible while still posting LOTS of installments.)

Amy
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE
Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #36
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Thanks Amy. It's nice to know you're along for the read!

A little encouragement makes me want to get the next chapter done faster!
Now playing:

Old 04-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #37
eemiles03
Earning My Ears

loving it so far!!!!! Can't wait for te next chapter!
Old 04-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #38
mkjmom
disneymom

Great trip report - please tell us more!
1985 - Contemporary
1989 - Polynesian
1992 - off-site
1994 - off-site
1995 - off-site
1995 - Carribbean Beach
1997 - Boardwalk
2001 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Coronado Springs
2010 - Gaylord Palms (hubby conference)
2012 - Gaylord Palms (hubby conference)

Old 04-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #39
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Part 5, still Day 2, March 24

Excited about the possibilities for our afternoon Gathering with Grandeur, our drying out, now giddy, group proceedded to Philharmagic. We love that show!!! I can smell that apple pie right this minute. Haunted Mansion was next, and GS9 had no intention of going, happyhaunts or not. E felt brave and decided to go with the group (against my better judgment). GS9 and I kept the Bethmemorialhappyhaunt bench well-attended as we watched for meltdowns, fights, and the new category: inappropriate clothing. Now I am ALL for freedoms as laid out by our founding fathers, but I admit I am flummoxed when a guest plans a park day, buys a pricey ticket, then intentionally, dare I say confidently, leaves their home dressed like this:

I felt I should wash my young friend’s eyes out with soap after he was witness to this mess!! Everyone, please, a full-length mirror and/or honest friend is a worthwhile investment…

E reported the HM was pretty scary (I wanted to gooooooo!!!) and did not appreciate the in-character cast members. Someday he’ll appreciate that as the best part, as I learned later that week on the Keys to the Kingdom tour (more later…).

We caught a few minutes of Cinderellabration on our way to Crystal Palace for lunch. Grumpy CM Petra was working the door that day when we were buzzed and stepped forward to be seated:

Grumpy Petra: Party of 8
Me: Hi, that’s us. You rang?
GP: I only see three. I CAN’T seat three.
Me: Well, what about the other five breathing down my neck here??

GP handed us over to Grumpy Terri, our waitress. She didn’t seem very happy about hosting lunch with Pooh and friends that day. I love the Crystal Palace. The 110 Acre Woods crew is so cozy, friendly, and familiar. DS11 claims they have the best macaroni and cheese on the planet. He would know. We like to pose happy when Pooh, Tigger, and Piglet come over and all sympathetic and gloomy with Eeyore . For our second TS meal this vacation (Chef Mickey’s the night before…that seems like 100 pages of typing ago…) we had a lovely round table for eight. This was the case many times that week and is one of those little things that plants happy memories about the trip. I mean, we could see and talk to everyone AND give a nice glare or swat at a spouse or child when required.

We finished up and thanked Terri for taking our cards and charging our TS credits. That’s about all she did. Her parting words to the children: “Make sure your parents take their medication!”
Whhhhhaaaaattt?? OK, MAYBE she said, “Have a great rest of your vacation!” but it sure didn’t sound like it.

Before we returned to the Poly to rest and blow dry, we grabbed FPs for Space to smugly use them later in the day. We’ll see how that worked out…

The barbershop quartet was singing on Main Street as we made our way to the exit. Cledus was filming with his BRAND NEW FOR THE TRIP video camera as he did 99.9% of the week. I heard the DHs laughing as they heard the singers work “Lens cap off” into their song.

The CookMaster, meanwhile, had ducked in the Confectionary (love that word)~~ Confectionary~~ Confectionary to buy some of her favorite form of spun sugar in pink and purple.

On the windy launch back to the Poly, E snuggled up to me and confessed he rode the HM to impress the big boys and that it scared him. He didn’t like “the guy with all the green limps on his face” and thought he might have nightmares about them. Green Limps. Yuck.

You people asked for more installments, even if they were shorter, so here it is and, to quote a favorite teacher, you get what you get and you don’t have a fit! Moremoremore tomorrow!!!

NEXT chapter:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=43
Now playing:

Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #40
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Location: If I'm not at Monk's, check the Hawk & Dove, or else I'm playing tetherball

Quote:
Everyone, please, a full-length mirror and/or honest friend is a worthwhile investment...
You see, this is exactly the kind of good stuff I go looking for in a trip report!

Jamal, I am really enjoying your report so far. I think you've got a real knack for setting the scene for us. Also, unlike someone else's report, I don't get sick to my stomach reading your report.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'they are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited by ZZUB; 04-06-2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: I can't help it. I'm adicted to adding additional messages down here. Will you adopt me? Your vacations sound more luxurious than mine.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #41
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal
[B] Now I am ALL for freedoms as laid out by our founding fathers, but I admit I am flummoxed when a guest plans a park day, buys a pricey ticket, then intentionally, dare I say confidently, leaves their home dressed like this:

I felt I should wash my young friend’s eyes out with soap after he was witness to this mess!! Everyone, please, a full-length mirror and/or honest friend is a worthwhile investment…
Whoa. I think that's all I can muster right now. Just Whoa.

p.s. loving your TR!

*Shannon
Old 04-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #42
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

My heart is racing!! zzuB is reading my trip report.
Now playing:

Old 04-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #43
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Part 6, Cinderellabration!

Napped at the Poly. No details required; it was the usual snore. We did the best we could to make ourselves presentable for royalty then monorailed back to MK. The CookMaster’s CM friend gave us a specific time and place to arrive for the meet-and-greet. As soon as Cinderellabration ended, a friendly CM opened a tiny tiny door in the temporary castle wall. I honestly felt like we were going through the back of the wardrobe into Narnia! No winter here, though. It was FANTASYLAND!! The CookMaster cried when she saw the faces lined up to meet us. I think I was shaking. The husbands were filming…Jasmine, we think. Princes and princesses in full regalia filled the room. The costumes! The jewelry!

First picture I could snap...

I love the way Aurora is holding her hand:

A kind CM took a group shot!

Note that Cledus remains a bit removed from the group. He's not much of a hugger...

Here are some examples of the comments and conversations during the meet–and-greet--
Belle and Prince Vincent (never knew his human name!!) to E, who was wearing a Dash shirt:
Are you fast? Will you show us how fast you run? Oh, my, you are fast, little Prince!!

Jasmine: Where are you from? Did you arrive by magic carpet? Or camel?
Cinderella: You came on a plane? Well, I prefer horse-drawn carriage myself.
Aurora: You young princes play football? My prince doesn’t play football, but he’s very good on a horse!

The CookMaster and I are bookmasters, too, so we had a photo with Belle.

Thoughts about the meet-and-greet:
• Even our boys were impressed.
• Cinderella’s white dress is fantastic! Her earrings not attached to her headband like they are when she wears her blue dress.
• The princes are hilarious because they are so, well, no offense, plastic!! Not many lines for these hapless footmen. All that rescuing and horse-riding and Beast-evolving seems to have sucked their personalities away. It’s all about the girls…except Aladdin. He’s cool and had a few things to say.

The meet-and-greet ends after about ten magical minutes. We leave the castle and my DH, Mr. Incredible, christens the CookMaster….The Magician. She has produced magic for us today and we are in awe of her talents!

This is a short chapter but I wanted to get my faithful readers these pictures! The Magician has more up her sleeve….

Next chapter: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=58
Now playing:

Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #44
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

Wow, Jamal, I've never seen such princess pictures! Absolutely fabulous. I never had a desire to hit the Princess meals, but this makes me want to go!

Great report, BTW!

And this picture....

Quote:

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
Old 04-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #45
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Superiffic!
Fantabulous!
Wonderifimous!
Absotively Posilutely Grrrreat!

Last edited by SoNotAPrincess; 04-07-2006 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Cuz your trip report ROCKS!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: