Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #16
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Part 2: Let’s get on with it!:

What’s on the dining room table in the days before we go: sunscreen, sunstick, Neosporin, Mickey backpack, NEW** Tink messenger bag, Ziplocs, swim goggles, 97 pages printed from TGM, two digital cameras, and three disposable cameras

Since we are going for nine nights, I’ve packed ten pairs of shoes. The mostly fun, colorful flip-flops are in their own bag, tucked away from DH’s eyes. By the time DH gets home from a short work day, I have everyone’s bags packed, no sleep under my belt, and the travel folders tucked under my arm. Let’s go, already!

We scoop up the kids at school and kick off spring break by heading straight to the airport. Woo whoooo!! The four boys think we are on different flights, but we surprise them by jumping on the plane together. The other surprise-and yes, it’s a huge one- is the fact that through a generous friend/benefactor of DH, we are ALL going on a private plane!! We are not rich folks, people. We are not rich people, either, folks. This is the treat of a lifetime, maybe two. The CookMaster is never thrilled about flying and makes sure the pilots are cheerful and clear-eyed before we take off. While she chatted and tried to distract herself and her boys during takeoff, I spotted one of my favorite sights on God’s green earth. It was a shiny red bag of the CookMaster’s famous chocolate chip cookies!! She handed them to me and smiled her comforting smile: “They’re straight out of the oven! This bag is for your room!” Joy, joy. A little aside on the history of The CM’s cookies. She has made them for years, even selling them to faithful addicts during leaner times. Well I was leaner too before I met these little gems. Here’s the kicker, though: she won’t share the recipe. Hmmmph. We’ve tried. Her friends have bribed her kids, rifled through her pantry, and offered great reward for The Recipe (and I don’t mean Miss Mamie and Miss Emily’s for all you Waltons fans out there; I’m a charter member of that club, too). If you ask for the recipe, she just says she’ll make them for you whenever you want them.

I ate three before coming up for air.

DH was sitting near the front of the plane in a seat that prompted E (our DS6) to say, “It looks like Daddy is sitting on a potty.” Sure enough…

He felt close to the pilots so he suggested we offer them some cookies. We surrendered four. Nice, huh? Four cookies for a man and woman who hold your family’s lives in their wrists.

They scarfed them down and…you guessed it… asked for the recipe.
AHA!!! THAT”S IT!!! She’ll HAVE to give the recipe to her pilots! I lunged forward an urgent request for them to hold their own. They said they couldn’t guarantee a smooth landing without possession of the recipe.

It. Almost. Worked.

But the CM is smart enough to know this man and woman love their families, too. She didn’t budge and we took the rest of the cookies with us to the Poly!

I looooove the Poly. We stayed at the CR last year and I loooooooved the view and the walk to MK. The Poly just feels like everything we want in a vacation. It has a beach, great pool, view of a princess castle, sleek transportation by land, sea or air rail, peaceful landscaping, and friendly staff.

We entrusted our luggage to the bellhop while we strolled to the Hawaii building to check in. I felt so classy plopping in front of the concierge with my dog-eared folder of Dis-info. “I hope we are on the second floor, as requested.” “ We have you on the third floor,” she aloha-ed.

Is that the SMOKING optional third floor?

Yes.

**NOTE: This portion of the TR will offend smokers who don’t like pious anti-smoking preteens. This will happen again, so be warned.

DS11, the honest D.A.R.E. graduate, hates smoking. His eyes almost popped out of his head when he heard the “S” word. I rolled my eyes to no one in particular since none of you were around and hoped the Concierge would get the hint. She (sweet Betsy, by the way, she does have a name) offered Room 1501 on the first floor. “It’s on the other side of this wall,” she said.

OK, your ears. We walked in, fell in love with our temporary home, grabbed our luggage when it arrived, and dashed off to meet the Gatelatches at Tokelau.

We had a mouse cooking a late dinner for us and were not about to be late!

NEXT: Chef Mickey’s, MK, and tallying meltdowns and fights… NEXT chapter: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!

Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #17
jes77
Earning My Ears

Looking forward to your next post!!
You can't really mean that there were some fights along the way ... ohhhhh ... I'm shocked
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Love your writing - and the notebook full of Dis info.

I can not believe we were both on the bummed Spaceship ride!! It really is a small world, isn't it? (that was a really cheesy cliche)

Anyway, look forward to hearing about your experience at the Poly. We were between it and the YC and chose YC because of the pool. I still want to try the Poly, though.

Happy writing!!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #19
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

4/4 NEW**Part 3, #19

Part 3, still day one

We bounced up to the Great Ceremonial House (where I have never seen a ceremony) and, after a quick spin around the pin kiosk, walked out to the monorail. A asked if we could ride in front and I gave him my best ‘sure, dear’ even though I knew the front would be taken. Well, those four boys DID get to sit in the front of their first monorail ride! We adults considered running away but wished the driver luck and hopped in the next car. We loved imagining the fun in the front car with four excited boys. I used the opportunity to spring into TourGuideJaMI mode, explaining the wedding pavilion, GF, and the exhausted parcel of children being pulled out of Magic Kingdom.

At the CR, the boys showed off their monorail co-pilot cards and we rode down to Chef Mickey’s. The first character we saw was Genie! I’ve never seen him at Chef Mickey’s before. I didn’t even know the Mouse and Genie were buds! We plowed and waved through our favorite way to kick off a Disney vacation. First Night at Chef Mickey’s has become a tradition; it gets us in the Disney frame of mind and magically turns 11 and 12 year-old boys into napkin-waving autograph hounds!

It also turned all four boys into soft-serve ice cream gluttons; I stopped counting E’s trips to the machine at three…

One more explanation of the Dining Plan to the DHs and we were ready to settle our bill. GS9 spent the final minutes dancing—he’s really good—during Mickey’s celebration, much to Goofy’s delight. I loved watching the CookMaster receive kisses from Chef Mickey and the other culinary kindred experts.

When we got home (yep, I wanted it to be!) I spent about 30 minutes unpacking and settin’ up housekeeping. We were all too excited to sleep but DH managed to drift off about 4 minutes after we slid our key in the door. Once the discussion about the daybed was settled (E claimed it and everyone was thrilled—he’s STRONG and restless day and night!!) I pulled out my MightyBright (clip-on reader light. Oh, come on.) and rattled my TGM pages until I could fret the next day’s itinerary no more. I fell asleep thanking God for our rich blessings and the love I have for my family!!

Next up: The Magic Kingdom, and yes, the promised meltdowns and fights we witnessed! Next Chapter:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=25
Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!

Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #20
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Cool a Private Plane, did you land at Orlando or a different airport.

You made me think about the smoking issue. He never smokes in our house or in a hotel room, but WDW is pretty strict about places that you can. Are there places on a map that shows were smoking is permitted?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #21
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

We landed at Marathon, nearby.

I think the parks maps show smoking areas. It seemed there might be a few in each park. Not sure.
Now playing:

Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #22
frankenpooh
Mouseketeer

Oooh, I like your report. Keep going so we can see if we crossed paths. If you "private jet, concierge level" folks mixed it up with us "minivan, moderate resort" types!

Wasn't it fun to be there, though? I am so in withdrawal this week.

Wow, I figured out had to put something in bold. That will come in handy!

I run so I can go to WDW every January WDW Half Marathon 2007, 2009, 2010; WDW Full Marathon 2008; Next Family Trip: August 2009 at BWI

Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #23
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Trust me: I drive a minivan (The Silver Bullet) w/ 115k miles on it and do NOT live like this on a regular basis. We had some MAJOR pixie dust for this trip, and that's why I am writing about it!!

Yes, reentry has been very difficult. What is this grocery/laundry/ phone/bill paying thing I'm doing today??????
Now playing:

Old 04-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #24
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari
Cool a Private Plane, did you land at Orlando or a different airport.

You made me think about the smoking issue. He never smokes in our house or in a hotel room, but WDW is pretty strict about places that you can. Are there places on a map that shows were smoking is permitted?
The smoking areas are identified on the park maps and you really do need the map to find most of them, most are not obvious or well marked.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #25
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Part 4, Day 2, Friday, March 24

Mickey and Stitch call at what will be our almost-daily wakeup time: 6:45AM. Only because I am sharing a bathroom with three men and DO NOT want to enter after them do I drag myself to the shower. Now, I love our pretty pretty room, all rehabbed and classy, but what’s with the shower for short people???????? If America is truly taller than we were a century ago, isn’t it time to install showerheads a bit higher when we rehab expensive resorts? I’m only 5’5”; I got to snicker later when DH (6’2”) tried to stand and shower…at the same time.

And now, a getting-dressed story which will tell you more about E, our DS6. This one likes to dress like an NBA player. Sleeveless jerseys and baggy shiny shorts are his fave look; these do not meet the public school dress code. Of course that’s what he’ll get to wear in Disney. Except it’s about 44 degrees. So he has to wait a few days before he can show off his guns (that’s biceps for our city readers).

He also insisted he needed some Crocs for the trip. I thought that seemed reasonable so in February I ordered two pair of navy beach Crocs (one for DS11) from some online outfitter. I always set out the boys Ziploc-bagged clothes in Disney; today the Crocs were next to the clothes.

Except now E is not sure he wants the Crocs. This schtick is par for the course with him. He almost didn’t live until breakfast. He has a mind of his own and that mind does not mind my mind!!! He did get to wear the new Dash shirt I found at the Disney Store at home before I left, so after a stern you’re-not-gonna-talk-to-your-mother-like-that-and-ruin-everybody’s-trip-after-all-the-time-and-money-and-planning-we’ve-done-for-you talk from his loving father, he strutted to breakfast (3 bowls Fruit Loops, 2 cinnamon rolls, 2 cups milk, a banana…standard fare) to get a healthy start to his first park day.

On the monorail to the Most Magical Kingdom, I announced we were all going to keep our eyes out for meltdowns and fights. I do not mean wicked witches in the presence of water OR live wrestling, rather the following:
Meltdowns=mad toddlers/preschoolers having fits of anger, exhaustion, frustration or the gimmes….common at Disney, especially in the hotter months. Surely you know what I mean.
Fights=husbands and wives in loud disagreement.

We decided to tally them each day. I’ll keep you posted and report on the more colorful scenes.

The CookMaster and I were the designated FastPass runners this first day. Our sixth grade sons thought this was hysterical. “Mom, you run like a chicken,” my DS announced. Do you or do you not want to ride Space, Splash, and BTMRR this AM, sweet precious number one son?

Feeling festive and spirited on the highs of Disney, we all decided to enjoy the splendor of a walk-on at Splash Mountain. Except the CookMaster’s DH. You will find out later why we call him Cledus, or Cleetus, or Cleat-us. We never could decide how to spell it. He doesn’t want to get wet. Shouting ‘Party-pooper’ and ‘wimp’ over our shoulders, the seven of us hopped in our no-wait boat.

You know that first turn where other boats are going down the big drop? The one where passing boats sometimes get wet? Yes. It did. That boat DUMPED, well, a Splash-load on top of me and The CookMaster!! Our zesty matching short haircuts were zapped. Worse was the chill of wet cotton clothing that reminded us of our recklessness all day..

By 11 AM:
Meltdowns: 3 Fights: 2

I must go fix some supper for my poor family!! No more chapters today!!! No! No!
I do thank you if you are reading this. If you’re hoping for a quick happy ending, FORGET IT!! There’s MUCH more to come… NEXT Chapter: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=32
Now playing:

Last edited by jamal; 07-06-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #26
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

We love Epics. No need to rush.
Feel free to feed your family and then get back to work.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #27
honeybee213
Mouseketeer

I love it! I ran out of ink from printing so much from TGMike!

Hope that few of the meltdowns and fights involved your families
Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #28
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

As much as I'd like to meltdown a few of the Mickey bars that seem to have traveled home on my hips, I am happy to report that we had no meltdowns in our party. More tomorrow...or the next day..
Now playing:

Old 04-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #29
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Quote:
Jamal- Did you ever see that old indy movie? cuz I'm thinking your title was inspired by that. The cook, the butcher, the wife....am I right? Loving your tr Horsegirl
To clear up any confusion about the title of the report, I'll share what I posted on another thread...

Quote:
Oh no!!! I've never even heard of the movie you all are talking about! No, the title comes from the names The CookMaster's son gave us in the comic books he writes. I am The Fixer b/c I have been known to clear up a problem or two. Pest Control, if you will. As Elaine from Seinfeld once said, "You know me...I walk into a room, problem solved." Well, this funny little 9 year old author has written two comic books starring The Fixer and The CookMaster (his mom, an awesome cook). We solve problems and pests on my flying Fixer-board and her flying Spatula.

OK, this sounds odd. I will have to try to figure out how to send a pic of the comic...

More on the Fixer and CookMaster to come!!
Now playing:

Old 04-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #30
horsegirl
I feel blonder than a cocker spaniel!
I tell people I am 30-10-15 so they are super impressed
I got distracted by all the lovebugs on the pool bar

Location: running from the fruit stand and hiding all my nature pictures

Jamal-

This is a great report! Really, aand don't worry about the title. Probably not many saw the movie that I am thinking of!

Your trip down gives a whole new meaning to first class!!!!! Wowsie, cool.

Take your time, and keep writing. I guarantee we'll be reading you...

Need a Smile? Snowstorm pix of a beautiful snowy day [/SIZE]
A Day at the Punkin Patch-A Celebration of a New England Fall Day
A Week by the Lake- A trip report designed to soothe and calm the reader
How to Make $3600 on Your Disney Vacation...A Trip Report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: