Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #31
loriandmatt
DIS Veteran

ohh - thought of another one......

crock pot sheppards pie

before you leave prepare and freeze:

browned/drained ground beef, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 small can peas (or corn, or what ever veggie gets you going), 1 small can mushrooms.

AND in a different container prepare and freeze:

mashed potatoes (we like to spike ours with some garlic powder and some grated cheese)

when you go to make it in the crock pot:

generally the two frozen things above are pretty much thawed so you can spread them in two layers (meat on bottom, taters on top) in your crock pot and cook on low for about 4-5 hours. (if you are going to be gone longer than that, you may want to add a bit of water to the meat mixture to keep it from drying out. have done this when cooking it on low for closer to 8 hours and it held up well.) TIP: freeze these items in large ziplocks or coolwhip/butter tubs. that way you can pitch them when you are done and not have to worry about cleaning and dragging home good tupperware from a camping trip.

OR

if you have a tall round crock pot like mine (as opposed to the crocks that are more wide and shallow)

freeze the above two mixtures (meat and taters) in empty large cool whip containters. plop them on top of each other, still frozen, in your crock pot. they are the perfect size.
8/1980 (a one day trip to MK, but the magic was planted), 9/2000 ASMo (the long awaited return - i am hooked), 10/2001 - FW, 2/2002 - offsite, 6/2002 - ASMu, 8/2003 FW (it's been over a year- ack! I am going thru withdrawl), 3/2004 FW, Wow - a new house and a new baby - will have to wait a while for out next trip. How long do you think we can hold out?!?!?!?, 9/2005 - Pop (Held out for 18 months - that was hard!), 8/2006 - ASSp and POR, 8/2007 - FW,6/2008 - off site windsor hills villa,8/09 - just swung by for two day trips while staying at Cocoa Beach,07/10 - WL, 07/11 - AKL,8/12 - POR, 7/13 - Poly, 2014 - planning - leaning towards FW cabin
loriandmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #32
tnmom25
I don't say anything funny, I just laugh at everyone else!

Easy cleanup!!

I'm sure you all know about this, but I wanted to remind you that Reynolds (I think) makes the crock-pot cooking bags and they are wonderful!!! I know that after a full day at the parks, the last thing I'm going to feel like doing is clean my crock-pot. I was so excited to find this thread, we are leaning towards camping this December, and now with these recipes, I think I'm leaning even more!! Thanks and keep them coming!

2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 Offsite ~ March 2010 Princess Half Marathon ASMu ~ Sept.2010 POR ~ Sept.2013 FW Cabin for Villains Party

tnmom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #33
tnmom25
I don't say anything funny, I just laugh at everyone else!

Silver Dollars!

I didn't see any posts about silver dollars. Growing up a Girl Scout, we always made them at camp. I now make them for my family and they are a big hit!

I freeze hamburger patties at home (ground beef mixed with onion soup mix)
sliced or diced potatoes (or whole red ones)
baby carrots
broccoli (optional)
onion

At camp, put one patty and a handful of each veg onto a large square of heavy duty foil. Wrap it up and toss it onto the coals about an hour or two.

I've also done this at home in a reynolds cooking bag in a 9x13 pan, just put all patties on the bottom and toss veggies on top and bake. This is easier at home, since you can check for doneness without unwrapping each "meal."

I'm wondering if it can be done in a crock-pot... I might give it a try soon.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 Offsite ~ March 2010 Princess Half Marathon ASMu ~ Sept.2010 POR ~ Sept.2013 FW Cabin for Villains Party

tnmom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #34
Iott Family
DIS Veteran

Crockpot Desserts

We love to camp and we love our sweets but we get tired of the banana boats and s'mores all the time. So we pull out the crockpot and with 3-5 ingredients have amazing dessert. You can also use a dutch oven over coals. If you do this line your dutch oven with aluminum foil for quick clean up!

We make something called dump cake. The premise is a box of cake mix, filling, stick of butter/margarine and spices. Filling goes in the bottom, sprinkled with a box of cake mix, pour melted butter over that and sprinkle with spices.

Cherry Cordial/Black Forest dump cake is a can of cherry pie filling, box of devils food cake mix and stick of butter and a little cinnamon. Cook on low 4-6 hours

Tropical Delight is a can of pineapple tidbits(drained), can of cherry pie filling, box of coconut cake mix, stick of butter, sprinkle with coconut and cinnamon. Cook on low 4-6hrs.

Traditional Apple pie is a can of apple pie filling, box of spice cake mix and stick of butter. You can also use a yellow cake mix sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

Applesauce cake is a med-lrg jar of applesauce(chunky or smooth) and a box of spice cake mix, stick of butter.

Peanutbutter and fudge cake mix is so rich and gooey but yummy!

You can also mix pie fillings. Like cherry and apple. Blueberry and blackberry. Pineapple and cherry. Apple and cranberry. I use yellow or spice cake mixes with these.

I really hope you enjoy any or all of these!
Iott Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #35
bevtoy
bevs_toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
This is not a recipe but a suggestion. We just bought a Kitchen Kettle made by Presto. It is a 6 quart electric pot with a nonstick surface inside and out. It can be used to steam, boil, or fry. It comes with a steamer/fryer basket. We have been testing it out this past week and so far it works wonderfully. It only cost us $22.00 at Wal-Mart. We have made pasta, instant mashed potatos, and chili in it. So far so good. We haven't tried steaming or deep frying anything yet. It is easy to clean out with the nonstick surface which is a must in our popup camper. We highly recommend it.
We bought one of these also. It takes a long time to get the oil hot but works well otherwise.
October 1998 Disney World
7 Night Eastern Magic, October 13-20, 2007
7 Night Western Magic December 12-19, 2009
bevtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #36
bevtoy
bevs_toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesussavedme View Post
Ingredients:

marshmallows
Keebler fudge stripe cookies

Just like always, roast your marshmallow but then you just put it in between 2 fudge stripe cookies and OH MY GOSH they are AWESOME!
We sometimes use Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread instead of Hershey bars,its awsome!(Next to the peanut butter in the grocery store.)
Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #37
bevtoy
bevs_toy

Peach Yum Yums

Take peach halves and place them on aluminum foil square. Put 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in the hole and sprinkle with cinnamon plus a few minature marshmallows. Fold up foil and place in campfire untill marshmallows are melted....delicious!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #38
Iott Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevtoy View Post
Take peach halves and place them on aluminum foil square. Put 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in the hole and sprinkle with cinnamon plus a few minature marshmallows. Fold up foil and place in campfire untill marshmallows are melted....delicious!
Are these fresh or canned peaches? Thanks!!!!!
Iott Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #39
bevtoy
bevs_toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iott Family View Post
Are these fresh or canned peaches? Thanks!!!!!
Oh sorry! They are the canned peaches.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #40
bennythepug
DIS Veteran

Try this out in the crock pot. Its easy and the FW kids loved it!
1 small jar grape jelly
1 small jar chili sauce
1 package kiebasa, cut up

cook on low 3 hours. serve with crackers and cheese. FW 7/08 !!!!
'09 Caribe Royale
'10 Saratoga Springs
'13 FW (?)
bennythepug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #41
Boomer1
Mouseketeer

Microwave Cake from Cooks.com

1 box reg. cake mix ( any flavor)
3 eggs
1/3 c. oil
1 c. water
Mix all ingrediants together and pour batter evenly into a microwaveable bundt pan or cake dish and microwave on medium high for 10 minutes, turning every 3 to 4 minutes if your microwave is not equipped with a turntable. If it's not done, keep microwaving it for intervals of 3 to 4 minutes. Cake is done when it pulls away from the sides of the dish and it looses its "wet" look and/or when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
A white or yellow cake will not brown in the microwave so if you will not be frosting the cake you may wish to use a chocolate mix. Any cake mix will come out very moist and delicious.
We will be using this recipe in our TT microwave at the Fort this Christmas!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #42
jsmla
DIS Veteran

Not really a recipe but I like to buy several pounds of on sale ground turkey and brown it at home with onions and green peppers. I divvy it up in meal-sized portions and freeze in Ziplocs. Then at the campground I just add the ground turkey and whatever sauce I want to the crockpot.

Spaghetti: Add spaghetti sauce of your choice. Sometimes I add the noodles to the crockpot (macaroni works best for me), sometimes I cook them separately if we want real spaghetti. When I do the macaroni I stir it in after we get "home", top the whole thing with cheese and cook it on high for about 30 more minutes. We have a salad and garlic bread with this.

Tacos: Taco mix and water. We use this to make big taco salads with all the fixings: lettuce, tortilla chips, beans, canned chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, etc.

Chili: I add Trappey's red beans, black beans, canned tomatoes and chili spices. Sometimes I used frozen cooked and shredded chicken breasts instead of the ground turkey. We'll usually have crackers and some sort of fruit or fruit salad with this.

Sloppy Joes: I use Manwich sauce in the can when we're on the road. We like baked beans (I doctor up the canned ones with ketchup, honey and spices) and broccoli salad with our sloppy joes.

I set the crockpot on low before we leave and dinner is waiting for us when we return. Not exactly gourmet or super healthy, but cheap, filling and easy peasy after a long day at the parks. I don't usually use so much canned stuff at home but our trailer's fridge is small and, anyway, it's my vacation too!

Jennifer
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #43
graciejane
Mouseketeer

We like to put 1 1/2 - 2 lbs - of round steak cut into serving sizes in the crockpot, cover it with dry beefy onion soup mix and 1 can cr. of mushroom soup and 1 can of cr. of chicken soup (the low fat soups work great). Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8. I serve it over baked potatoes done in a different crockpot or noodles if we have time.

I won a piggy
graciejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #44
disneynan
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all these great recipes. We bought our first camper last fall and will be camping for the first time next weekend locally (weather permitting).

We will be camping at FW 8/08 and DH is already planning our meals! I have copied and pasted many ideas from this thread.

Made beef brisket in the crockpot a few nights ago with cream of mushroom soup, one beef boullion cube and a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce. Everyone loved it served with rice. Thanks for the inspiration for a quick, easy and delicious meal.
disneynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #45
WeRblam
Dis Veteran

Kielbasa and Brown Sugar

Here's an easy crock pot recipe. Get two links of Turkey or Polksa Kielbasa and cut into bite size pieces. Add about 3/4 cup of brown sugar and stir til all the kielbasa is covered. Heat on high for 3- 4 hours or low for 7-8.

This is a great appetizer or meal. When I serve it as a meal I cut back on the brown sugar I use. A nice salad and rice pilaf makes this quick and easy!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: