Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #151
Born 2 Fish
I'D RATHER BE FISHING.

The complete dinner.
sardines inna pull top can
and a twist top beer.

no fuss, no mess, and neither has to be cooked.

course that was a recipe from my bachelor dayz.
then again, doing the laundry in them dayz meant you took a shower with your clothes on.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #152
Memph1s
DIS Veteran

Man Frank that's tuff.
No mustard, hot sauce, or crackers.
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #153
DeVineMom
Love That Disney Magic

subscribing
DeVineMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #154
Running_Bell
Mouseketeer

We cook loaded baked potato everytime we camp. We just coat the potato with olive oil (or butter) sprinkle of salt.. double wrap in aluminum foil and put directly on coals and cover with coals. In about 35 minutes you have perfectly "baked" potatoes. Just load with whatever... The skins get nice and crisp with the oil/salt coating so they are actually the best part. This is perfect for those campgrounds with no electricity. We camp at a lot of state parks... and none have electricity that we've been to.

Returning summer 2014 - FW
August 2013 - Boardwalk & FW
Nov 2010 - Pop & FW
Oct 2009 - FW
Sept 2007 - FW
Sept 2005 - POR & FW
Sept 1997 -All Star Sports

Last edited by Running_Bell; 07-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Running_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #155
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Three of our favorite crock pot dinners and one dessert

Stupid Chicken

Place 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in crockpot, sprinkile with 1 pkg dry onion soup mix and 2 cans of italian style stewed tomatos. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Spoon over cooked egg noodles or rice. (I like the precooked 90 seconds in the nuker rice) Yummy and sticks to your ribs.

BBQ Pulled Pork

Place one 2lb pork tenderloin in crockpot on top of a thinly sliced onion. Sprinkle with Essence of Emeril. Pour one can of beer over the mess and let cook for 6-8 hours on low. Pull the tenderloin apart with two forks and pour in 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce and serve on buns. You can also eliminate the bbq sauce and add one dry package of taco seasoning and serve in flour tortillas as carnitas.

Barbacoa Tacos

Place one boneless beef or shoulder roast in crockpot and sprinkle generously with Cavender's Greek Seasoning (on the ***** aisle in a yellow can) Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred beef when tender with two forks and add in 1/2 cup salsa (we like Pace hot) and 2 tsp of cumin.

Serve in flour tortillas with shredded lettuce (the stuff in the bag works great) chopped tomato and shredded cheese.

Crockpot Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Pat one boxed lemon cake in bottom of large oval crockpot. Drizzle with one stick melted butter or margarine. Cover with one can of blueberry pie filling or 2 pints of freshblue berries mixed with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Drop two softened blocks of cream cheese in a gallon ziplock and add one box of powdered sugar and two tsp of vanilla. Mush to mix then cut off one corner of the bag and pipe dollops on top of the lemon cake/bluebery mixture. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Place top on the crockpot (or dutch oven) and cook on high for 2-3 hours or place on coals with coals on top of 60-90 minutes. In the crockpot it's easier to slice these into bars once they cool. In the dutch oven serve it like a spoon bread or cobbler while warm and enjoy.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #156
Judy in Texas
1150 miles too far from the Fort

bump
Judy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #157
Nature Mom
I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.

Wow, I had no idea I could do so many desserts in the crockpot. Cool! Although I think the majority of the time it will be cooking my meals while there, but on steak night, we can definitely give it a try! Thanks!

Lots of good recipes on this thread. Saw lots of roasts, noodle dishes, etc., but wanted to add one of our favorites.

Salmon fillet (or your favorite fish, marinated in Soyaki (from Trader Joe's- or use your favorite marinade) which I freeze in a vacuum sealed ziploc. I go ahead and clean, cut up and prepare bok choy, bean sprouts, a variety of shrooms and maybe some water chestnuts or other stir fry add ins and put that in an vacuum sealed bag for freshness the day before we leave. When we cook it at the campsite, the salmon (which is usually the first meal that defrosts) goes in a foil wrap on the grill, the veggies get stir fried on the grill wok and I make coconut rice on the cookstove (pre-measured jasmine rice in ziploc bag so I don't have to worry about measuring cups or the whole box taking up space). Yummy, easy, eating within 30 minutes.

Nature Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #158
hotmamac
Mouseketeer

OMG! Nature Mom, that recipe sounds uber-yummy!!! I'm subbing to this thread, for sure!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #159
Nature Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamac View Post
OMG! Nature Mom, that recipe sounds uber-yummy!!! I'm subbing to this thread, for sure!!!
Thanks hotmama! I have a ton of recipes. I don't want the kids to think they are missing out on the 'fancy' meals in the restaurant, kwim? Plus, my DH LOVES to cook (wishes he was a chef!) and has really helped me get organized in the kitchen to the point that I now have every meal semi-prepared, (frozen if needed) and sorted by each day before we ever leave on the trip (he's not coming this trip, so food duties fall all on me). It makes it so much easier and makes it where it doesn't seem like all I do when camping is cook, clean up and then cook again (which is how I used to do it ). I like this organized way better and I love being able to crock cook while in the parks all day. Kudos for my DH . He rocks in the kitchen and really taught me much. (although that has made us kinda food snobs and now we hate spending money on going out to dinner when he can cook it just as good, if not better at home. lol)

Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #160
Nature Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn View Post
Crockpot Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Pat one boxed lemon cake in bottom of large oval crockpot. Drizzle with one stick melted butter or margarine. Cover with one can of blueberry pie filling or 2 pints of freshblue berries mixed with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Drop two softened blocks of cream cheese in a gallon ziplock and add one box of powdered sugar and two tsp of vanilla. Mush to mix then cut off one corner of the bag and pipe dollops on top of the lemon cake/bluebery mixture. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Place top on the crockpot (or dutch oven) and cook on high for 2-3 hours or place on coals with coals on top of 60-90 minutes. In the crockpot it's easier to slice these into bars once they cool. In the dutch oven serve it like a spoon bread or cobbler while warm and enjoy.
I will be definitely trying this one. I may try it this weekend, YUM!

Oh, BTW, I am Dawn too and wanted to name my first DD Aurora, although my ex-H (no D in that one, lol) said NO. I am hoping that my first granddaughter will be given this name, although that can wait a while (a LONG while, lol). Aurora is Dawn's first light. Don't you just love that?! (SORRY: I know... ) Forgive, please?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #161
Judy in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw2 View Post
We bring homemade sandwich spread camping
bolonga ground
sweet relish
Mayo
I decided to check out random pages and came across this recipe that reminds me of when I was little. Mother made it all the time and called it Ham Salad. She used Miracle Whip instead of mayonaise. I still make it once in a while. It's especially good on toast with lettuce and additional Miracle Whip. Ah, comfort food!!

Last edited by Judy in Texas; 09-11-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #162
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

My husband does not like camping, but that does not mean I cant cook these at home. YUM!! Jo
usnuzuloose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #163
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

I have been reading and lurking around the camping board and this thread for a few weeks and I just wanted to add that these recipes sound awesome and most of them seems fairly easy to prep and cook.

I also wanted to add so others may benefit is The Fix it and Forget it cook book, I saw it at Walmart last week and it is great, there are tons of recipes all made in the crock pot. Hope you find this helpful.

As for my camping recipes, so far we haven't ventured past hamburgers/ hot dogs and sandwiches yet but our trips have only been 1-2 nights, we are planning a trip again and I am looking outside the buns so to speak. I've really enjoyed reading your recipes and posts about camping. Thanks!

Kim
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #164
Judy in Texas

Bump
Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #165
lorac4disney
Mouseketeer

My most simple Vietnamese recipe is for chicken congee (rice porridge).

Take one or two cooked pieces of chicken breast and shred in the bottom of a crock pot. Add six cups of chicken broth and two cups of uncooked rice. Add salt, pepper, and diced green onions to taste. You can add sliced bamboo shoots if you like. Turn crock pot on low in the morning. It's ready that evening for supper. Just stir and serve.

One treat we had growing up was to roast calamari jerky over an open fire. Once it's toasted, just eat it plain. Another simple treat was toasting rice paper over an open fire. Take a sheet of rice paper and put it over a fire until it puffs up, being careful not to set it on fire.

A big hit in my family is grilled, garlic shrimp kabobs. Skewer shelled tiger prawns on a bamboo skewer. Brush with olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Grill until pink. Serve shrimp skewer with a bowl of rice and soy sauce. You can use any kind of meat with this dish (chicken, pork, beef, etc). If you like it spicy, you can add a few drops of sarrachi chili sauce to the olive oil.

My personal favorite is shrimp spring rolls. Cook vermicelli rice noodles until al dente. Dip a sheet of rice paper in water. Place on a plate and wait a few seconds for it to soften. Place a leaf of crisp lettuce on the rice paper, making sure the lettuce is smaller than the rice paper. Place a little bit of noodles in a cigar shaped roll in the center. Add peeled, sliced, and Juliened cucumber, fresh torn cilantro leaves, and fresh torn mint leaves. Fold in the sides of the rice paper and roll. The moist rice paper will stick to itself to seal the roll. Slice into one inch sections. Serve with soy sauce, fish sauce, peanut sauce, or chili sauce. Like with most other Vietnamese recipes, you can use any kind of meat you like. It just needs to be shredded meat. If you use beef or pork, it is customary to sprinkle it lightly with crushed, roasted peanuts to balance the flavor. It makes a great, cool lunch for hot days.

I could write all day about Vietnamese food, but I'll try to stop here. Don't even get me started about the huge variety and subtle variations of Vietnamese sandwiches.

lorac4disney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: