Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #256
Jilian
DIS Veteran

That is a hard question to answer, I think it is a matter of preferance. With a swan/dolphin wedding you could have mickey and any other character but you can not have a MK photo shoot. The basic package @ s/d starts just over $1500 but includes any amount of guests you want (I'm having around 70). S/D weddings don't seem to have as many restrictions as DFTW, you can pick and choose through s/d's vendors or you can bring your own in without penalty. From what I've heard s/d wedding planners get back to you a lot faster than DFTW, we have Karen as our planner and I almost always get a response within an hour or two. With a S/D wedding you cannot use any of the DFTW locations like wedding pavillion, etc. You also cannot wear your dress in the parks, even if you book a dessert party @ epcot after. I think that is about it. I guess it is all a matter of what is most important to you. Good luck deciding!

Adventures in vow renewal planning! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727345
Jilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #257
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

As Jilian says, it is difficult to say what would be best for you!!! I certainly have nothing but praise for Karen and the team and the S/D. Our VR went like clockwork and I honestly couldn't fault anything!!!! There are a lot of things (eg communication with planners) which seems to go better with S/D than with DFTW, but I have only reached that opinion by reading these boards!!! I guess you need to decide on what is important to you and decide which is the best route to take
Good luck with your decision!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #258
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !

Oops double post!!!

Last edited by tinkerbell 766; 07-10-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #259
pixie921
DIS Veteran

I dealt with both DFTW and Karen at Just Marry for the Swan. We were contracted with DFTW and left them for the Swan for a whole SLEW of reasons, most of which come down to the fact that DFTW is understaffed and that the organization as a whole doesn't personally care whether their clients are happy or not. We had an MK shoot scheduled and they canceled it on us, and that was the last straw for us.

By going with the Swan, we are having exactly what we want with none of the rules and restrictions that DFTW imposes (though to be fair, you probably wouldn't have too much of an issue with those if you're only looking at a Memories event) and we are literally saving thousands of dollars. We are having 16 people total and our ceremony will be out at the beautiful Crescent Terrace. We are also having Mickey & Minnie.

Good luck with your decision ... I know personally that it's a difficult one!!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #260
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie921 View Post
I dealt with both DFTW and Karen at Just Marry for the Swan. We were contracted with DFTW and left them for the Swan for a whole SLEW of reasons, most of which come down to the fact that DFTW is understaffed and that the organization as a whole doesn't personally care whether their clients are happy or not. We had an MK shoot scheduled and they canceled it on us, and that was the last straw for us.

By going with the Swan, we are having exactly what we want with none of the rules and restrictions that DFTW imposes (though to be fair, you probably wouldn't have too much of an issue with those if you're only looking at a Memories event) and we are literally saving thousands of dollars. We are having 16 people total and our ceremony will be out at the beautiful Crescent Terrace. We are also having Mickey & Minnie.

Good luck with your decision ... I know personally that it's a difficult one!!
Spoke to Karen today; she is going to give me a quote. I'm wondering if it is the way to go. With the Memories pkg, my parents can't attend; they'd meet us for tea following. No such limit at the Swan. I'm also thinking Crescent terrace--beautiful. We don't need a photographer or music, my sister is a photographer and an IPOD would do. And I'd really like Minnie and/ or mickey. Have to crunch the numbers. I was thinking if we didn't get characters, we could have dinner with the characters at the Garden Grove. Have to add a cake at both venues, although at the Swan they would serve it, not so with the Memories pkg. Rambling, sorry, my head is spinning...
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #261
bellaminnie
Mouseketeer

quandrea - it was a really hard decision for me between disney & the swan. at the beginning i was going with a swan wedding because it was cheaper and the flexibility. what i really wanted was to get married at disney, so i switched over to the dark side and went with the escape wedding. when i worked with karen at just married she was great, she answers emails quickly. just married can provide prerecorded music for a small cost. i think if you bring your own ipod you either have to have the swan setup a speaker system or bring your own portable speaker. i bought a portable speaker for our first dance at our cake ceremony. it was really loud but i'm not sure how far you are when you start walking towards crescent terrace, if you will hear it. it worked great on commander terrace (grand floridian) though. Attached is a link for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...pr_product_top

i know you mentioned your sister can take the photos, if you want a professional though, i'd recommend randy chapman, he was great and his rates are great if you just want to get your pics on cd/dvd and print your own.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #262
tinkerbell 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaminnie View Post
quandrea - it was a really hard decision for me between disney & the swan. at the beginning i was going with a swan wedding because it was cheaper and the flexibility. what i really wanted was to get married at disney, so i switched over to the dark side and went with the escape wedding. when i worked with karen at just married she was great, she answers emails quickly. just married can provide prerecorded music for a small cost. i think if you bring your own ipod you either have to have the swan setup a speaker system or bring your own portable speaker. i bought a portable speaker for our first dance at our cake ceremony. it was really loud but i'm not sure how far you are when you start walking towards crescent terrace, if you will hear it. it worked great on commander terrace (grand floridian) though. Attached is a link for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...pr_product_top

i know you mentioned your sister can take the photos, if you want a professional though, i'd recommend randy chapman, he was great and his rates are great if you just want to get your pics on cd/dvd and print your own.
I have to say that getting married at the Swan is getting married at Disney - it is just not being arranged through DFTW. You can have exactly the same things (except Cindy's carriage and bridal MK shoot)!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #263
quandrea
DIS Veteran

That's what I think. In fact, being able to get the characters at the swan but not with the memories pkg is a tipping point for me. I think the two pkgs will be about $700 apart. A character isn't much more than that so we'll probably splurge. Having a character really is a dream of mine, so it looks like it will be the Swan. Also, Crescent Terrace is so beautiful and private, much more than the sites offered by memories pkg with DFTW. I have so much to tell; I'll have to start a planning journal. How do I post pics?
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #264
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
That's what I think. In fact, being able to get the characters at the swan but not with the memories pkg is a tipping point for me. I think the two pkgs will be about $700 apart. A character isn't much more than that so we'll probably splurge. Having a character really is a dream of mine, so it looks like it will be the Swan. Also, Crescent Terrace is so beautiful and private, much more than the sites offered by memories pkg with DFTW. I have so much to tell; I'll have to start a planning journal. How do I post pics?
The easiest way that I've found is to use photobucket. Upload your pics and use the IMG code
Congrats on choosing the Swan!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #265
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
I have to say that getting married at the Swan is getting married at Disney - it is just not being arranged through DFTW. You can have exactly the same things (except Cindy's carriage and bridal MK shoot)!!!
You actually can rent a carriage though!
Not Cinderella's, but certainly princess-y!!
You can also do other park shoots (not MK). I know Randy Chapman does them.

I 100% agree that getting married at the Swan IS getting married at WDW. You are just going through a different company & paying alot less money for more flexibility. We are getting married at Crescent Terrace and it is located in the same general area as two DFTW ceremony sites (Commander's Terrace & Sea Breeze Point.....actually I think SBP is the view behind Crescent Terrace).

We also have the wonderful Karen (I wonder if she handles all the S/D weddings?) & I have to say that so far, I absolutely feel like I'm getting the "Disney treatment." Karen always gets back to me within an hour, she is so thorough, and we are getting top notch floral, photographer, musicians (same musicians & photographers that DFTW hires, by the way). Their pastry chef is replicating a cake I saw on here that was made by DFTW. We are having a cocktail hour and a ballroom lunch reception (plated), just like people do in DFTW except there is no limit to number of guests. We started out as 25 guests and our list has doubled, without any penalty or questioning from the S/D. We are also getting Mickey and Minnie (hired through Disney) & having an Epcot Illuminations Dessert Party.

Swan weddings are such a hidden gem!

I will have to post our total BEO for everything once we are finished, to be able to compare it to what a Wishes wedding would have cost us!

Tinkerbell 766: I haven't been on these boards in a while and I see you had your VR! I'll have to catch up in your PJ. I hope it was wonderful!!
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #266
tinkerbell 766

Thank you sweetie - Our VR was the most magical day of our lives!!! I agree about S/D weddings being a hidden gem!!! Please feel free to check out my (work in progress) TR. I have a few photos up there and pictures of the ceremony will follow shortly!!
I did know about the carriage, in fact we looked in to it but decided it was not for us!!

I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but I am pretty sure that Randy cannot do in-park shoots in bridal attire. I think that anybody can do an in -park shoot in bridal attire in any park except MK (which is a privilege reserved for just DFTW brides), but they have to (officially) use DPS.

Also, I think you will find that Commander's Terrace is over at the GF. It is the place used for the cake/champagne reception of Escape brides who have used the WP for their ceremony. Sea Breeze Point is, of course near the Swan, but is actually over the other side of the Boardwalk to the Swan, on the Epcot side. You may be able to see it from the Crescent terrace, although it would probably be behind you.

Last edited by tinkerbell 766; 07-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #267
minniebride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Thank you sweetie - Our VR was the most magical day of our lives!!! I agree about S/D weddings being a hidden gem!!! Please feel free to check out my (work in progress) TR. I have a few photos up there and pictures of the ceremony will follow shortly!!
I did know about the carriage, in fact we looked in to it but decided it was not for us!!

I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but I am pretty sure that Randy cannot do in-park shoots in bridal attire. I think that anybody can do an in -park shoot in bridal attire in any park except MK (which is a privilege reserved for just DFTW brides), but they have to (officially) use DPS.

Also, I think you will find that Commander's Terrace is over at the GF. It is the place used for the cake/champagne reception of Escape brides who have used the WP for their ceremony. Sea Breeze Point is, of course near the Swan, but is actually over the other side of the Boardwalk to the Swan, on the Epcot side. You may be able to see it from the Crescent terrace, although it would probably be behind you.
Hmm...what is the venue I am thinking of? I was thinking of the ceremony site at the Yacht Club. Thought it was called Commander's Terrace-do you know which place I'm thinking of?

I will definitely check out your TR-I'm so happy to he4ar you had such a wonderful day!!
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #268
pixie921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebride View Post
Hmm...what is the venue I am thinking of? I was thinking of the ceremony site at the Yacht Club. Thought it was called Commander's Terrace-do you know which place I'm thinking of?
I believe that one is simply called the Wedding Gazebo at the Yacht Club. As Joanne said, Commander's Terrace is the pretty spot on the 2nd floor of the Grand Floridian that they use for Escape weddings' cake cuttings.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #269
J.ThaddeusToad
Mouseketeer

Hello fellow Swan brides! I have a few questions and I would appreciate any help you can give! A little background on my upcoming nuptials: Getting married at the Crescent Terrace on November 20th with a reception to follow at Il Mulino. We are expecting about 30 guests.

I have been reading some of your planning journals and y'all have probably mentioned some of this info before, so thanks for repeating in advance

- Have you ladies had much contact with your officiant for planning the ceremony for your special day? I have emailed Rev. Tim and since the date is still a ways off, I'm not sure if he was eager to say much to me lol! He basically said to trust him... which I do since I have heard great things about him. Still just makes me a little anxious.

- Our guests are staying at multiple places (most non-Disney) and only a few are staying at the Swan, so we want to help people out with transportation. I've researched some options for having a shuttle, but we know plenty of people will have rental cars so we have thought about paying for people's parking. What have you ladies done? I've thought about contacting the Swan and asking if we can get a discounted parking fee or have it waived since we will be spending quite a bit of money at Il Mulino and have brought some guests to their hotel... any thoughts?

- Has anyone experienced having the music provided by JustMarry? I would love to hear how this has worked out for others. We had planned on hiring a musician, but instead my brother will be performing a song for us during the ceremony and I'd like to use his musical talents for our recessional as well... but for the processional he will be walking me down the aisle, so I'm thinking of having the pre-recorded music.

Thank you so much for your help!

Me DH
J.ThaddeusToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #270
tinkerbell 766

Catherine sweetie - Good to see your plans are moving along!!

Rev Tim is an absolute sweetheart and composed for us the most beautiful and personal ceremony, but I agree that the way he goes about things is a little scary and seems a bit dis-organized. He is not too good at replying to e-mails and when he does eventually reply, he comes over as being a bit impersonal and to the point. I think that he is not too comfortable with cyber communication, as in real life, he is the most darling and chatty of men.
I, too, found it hard to trust him and felt I should have more control. He doesn't start working on your ceremony until a couple of weeks before, so sending him your contributions before this would probably be futile.
My advice to you would be to work on everything you want included in your ceremony at home (eg readings poems etc) and have it all ready to go. Then at about two weeks before, e-mail it all off to Rev Tim. At this point he will be more 'in tune' with your ceremony. He will then, if you ask him, email you the order of how things will proceed. I was printing out my own ceremony programmes, and so I left it until two days before we left for the US before I did them. However, if you are having a lot of guests or having your programmes professionally printed, you will need to bug him for the order of service (which, luckily, I don't think changes, fundamentally, very much, apart from things like having a sand or candle ceremony etc).
When it comes down to the wire, he will come through, I am sure. We added a bible reading into our ceremony at the last minute (literally the same day I was preparing the programmes for printing), and I e-mailed him with this new information. He immediately emailed me the new running order and the new reading was included in the ceremony.
I think Karen works with him a fair bit, so if you can't get any direct joy from Rev Tim, ask Karen to give him a nudge on your behalf. Good luck - I know how hard it is to be trusting and patient, but with our Rev Tim I am afraid you have no choice. I am confident it will all be alright in the end!!

Transport - Are your guests all staying on-site at WDW resorts? How many do you have? If you were wanting to provide transport, a mini-bus scenario might be the way to go. This may be more difficult if your guests are all off-property and spread about though!!
Again, talk to Karen. She will have some ideas for you I am sure. She really is the most efficient of planners and is excellent at her job. Use her, sweetie - she won't let you down!!

Music - We had a musician, but I know this question has come up before, and recorded music can be used at a quite reasonable charge. Once again, Karen will have all the answers for you. She really knows best!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: