Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
minniedisney1
Mouseketeer

I tried to read some of that thread, but could not get thru Spoons post. Yikes!!! Imagine having to listen to that in person. UGH!!!

Please don't be put off by the CB. We are not all bad, we just have a few rotten apples. Unfortunately, they are the ones that leave a lasting impression.

I do not agree with what I read on that thread & am sorry that crap is going on over there.
2000-BC-honeymoon
2001-Off-site-1st anniversary
2002-Pregnant-no trip
2003-New Baby-no trip (well worth it though!)
2004-CSR-DS first trip to the mouse house!!!
2005-CBR-DS first MVMCP!!!!

Mommy & Son trip with Friends!!!!
Disney & Sea World 4/23-5/1/06

Family trip (a short one!!!) 9/29-10/3/06 & MNSSHP!!!!!

Annual Trip Dec. 14-22, 2006 WL and MVMCP!!!

Last edited by minniedisney1; 03-08-2006 at 03:19 PM.
minniedisney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
nordkin
DIS Veteran

I worked my way through that thread and was delighted to see the number of CSP supporting us. When I first started reading the thread I began to get angry and then remembered a saying my father used to always use which is "I don't discuss things with people more ignorant and closed minded than myself because I can't learn anything from them." He was one of those CSP that worked for our rights and was totally accepting of his two gay children.

I appreciate that there is a forum to discuss things on these boards and I am grateful their are people chiming in to show support for us.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Saxton
DIS Veteran

I read the thread while I was at work today and I normally try not to do that while I'm at work ... but it was like a car wreck ... I didn't want to look but I couldn't stop myself! On the plus side it showed once again how many CSPs there are - thank you all!! And that makes the very few who posted negative comments in the minority .... wow, ignorant people are now a minority ... I wonder if they'll soon start to see things through our eyes. No, probably not!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:19 AM   #19
majortom
Mouseketeer

Location: Winter Garden, FL, Venice, CA, San Francisco, CA, Skokie, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald...really
The idea of a Best Picture really is subjective. And I agree it's just a movie. But the Brokeback loss really did bother me, mostly because I, as well as other people, see it as hollywoods homophobia rearing its ugly head. It's difficult for me to not come to that conclusion when you have quotes from Academy members like this out there:
I am curious, did you see all five nominees? Did you actually feel that Brokeback Mountain was the best of them? I saw all five. I think that Brokeback Mountain was an important film, but I do not think it was better than Crash.

/carmi
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #20
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

I know that there is discrimination against gay and lesbian people. It still hurts, though, to read comments from people who believe that we are innately immoral and that we lack value to society.

It's at moments like this when I feel gay pride. Despite all of the hate and persecution over the centuries, gays and lesbians have continued to love and contribute to civilization.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #21
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

I am disgusted that some Academy members did not watch Brokeback Mountain. If they are going to accept the responsibility to vote on the nominees, then they have a responsibility to watch ALL nominated films so as to make an informed voting decision.
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukenDC
I am disgusted that some Academy members did not watch Brokeback Mountain. If they are going to accept the responsibility to vote on the nominees, then they have a responsibility to watch ALL nominated films so as to make an informed voting decision.
Agreed. They are provided with screening copies of everything they vote on (their own branch (e.g., directing) plus all the films that everyone votes on). For someone like Tony Curtis to say he would not watch Brokeback Mountain (when it's his job as a voting academy member) is just unprofessional, tacky AND homophobic. Do Academy members sign something or somehow indicate they've seen all the films??
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #23
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

I was surprised that Tony Curtis of all people would refuse to watch Brokeback Mountain. Jamie Lee Curtis is the godmother of Jake Gyllenhaal.
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #24
RickinNYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukenDC
I was surprised that Tony Curtis of all people would refuse to watch Brokeback Mountain. Jamie Lee Curtis is the godmother of Jake Gyllenhaal.
Tony Curtis? Yeah, he's so butch he wears silk scarves, Yoko sunglasses and more brush than a Grandma.
RickinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #25
Saxton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinNYC
Tony Curtis? Yeah, he's so butch he wears silk scarves, Yoko sunglasses and more brush than a Grandma.
And he also dressed in drag in Some Like it Hot ... not to mention Sparticus.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #26
Viki
Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
I am curious, did you see all five nominees? Did you actually feel that Brokeback Mountain was the best of them? I saw all five. I think that Brokeback Mountain was an important film, but I do not think it was better than Crash.

/carmi
Hi, Tom, for many of the reasons outlined by Stephen King in his most recent articile on the topic, I thought Brokeback was a much, much better film than Crash. And, yes, I saw all five films , unlike many members of the Academy who freely admitted they were never going to see Brokback but were going to vote for another film anyway.

Here are my favorites from top to bottom (so to speak - yikes):

Capote
Brokeback Mountain
Good Night and Good Luck
Munich
Crash

Because it's hard for me to separate Hoffman's stunning portrayal of Truman from the film itself I might actually have liked Brokeback better and I am open to the argumnet that fifty years from now Good Night and Good Luck will be a classic while all the others are almost forgotten. I had a vested issue in liking Crash - my family is multiracial - but its treament of race relations was so thin I was disillusioned and bored halfway through. Frankly, I can't believe it was nominated and I know homophobia was the reason it won.
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #27
majortom
Mouseketeer

Location: Winter Garden, FL, Venice, CA, San Francisco, CA, Skokie, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
Do Academy members sign something or somehow indicate they've seen all the films??
Not for Best Picture.

/carmi
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #28
bubie2.5
Oh, so that's what a tag fairie does
She has everything a villain needs... she's mean and looks like someone I know ;-)
I need help in the kitchen. I can't even boil water

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinNYC
I kept waiting for YEARS for him to come out... my gaydar is not working, guess I'm gonna have to ask for a refund.
bubie2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #29
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Not to change the topic here, but did anyone else read the point/counter point type of article in USAToday today? (3/9)

It was debating gay adoption, the last page of the first section.

If it we not so sad, it would have been comical.
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #30
donald...really
Gotta watch out for closed minded Winnie the Pooh fans...

"I am curious, did you see all five nominees? Did you actually feel that Brokeback Mountain was the best of them? I saw all five. I think that Brokeback Mountain was an important film, but I do not think it was better than Crash."

It really doesn't matter what movie I think was the best. Like I said, that is a subjective question. The facts speak for themselves (see the article I posted). A number of members of the academy said they would not see or vote for Brokeback Mountain because of the subject matter, and in any other year a movie with the awards and critical acclaim that Brokeback Mountain had (one of the most honored films of all time) would have won best picture. And a movie like Crash, with it's poor showing in other awards (including not even being nominated for the Golden Globes), and it's very mixed reviews and poor box office, would not have had a chance of winning.

This made me realize something that I have suspected for a long time, that the Academy Awards mean absolutely NOTHING. The awards are empty. And this has nothing to do with which picture won or lost. People can actually vote for Best Picture without seeing a single nominated film, or vote against a film for political reasons. How does that prove the merits of a film? I have not really been into the Academy Awards the past few years, but I don't think I will be watching them anymore. Like I said, they don't mean anything.

Our boys, Weasley and Fester (as puppies then all grown up)

Last edited by donald...really; 03-09-2006 at 09:51 PM.
donald...really is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: