Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
MattNash
MattNash

Boarding pets while staying at a Disney Resort

Since I haven't seen a thread like this, I offer this for all those who are bringing or are thinking of bringing their dogs with them.

When I stayed at Animal Kingom Lodge around Christmas of last year, I boarded my dog at the Animal Kingdom kennel. They told me on the phone when I booked that there was a "dog-walking" service and that for just over a dollar a walk someone would walk my dog, but I should come by and walk him myself anyway.

When I checked him in though, I was told there was no such service (except maybe at Epcot - they weren't sure), so I had to spend a lot of time every morning and evening driving to the Animal Kingdom, parking (sometimes they let me park close and sometimes they didn't), and then hiking the distance to the kennel, walking my dog, putting him back, and then going back to the Lodge, then catching the bus. As a result, the first day I didn't get to Epcot until almost noon.

One person said they were planning to build a large, centralized kennel with grooming, indoor/outdoor runs, vet service, etc. Another person said that they'd never heard that and they doubted it was true.

On the up-side, I met a lot of other nice dog-owners and nice security people when I went into the Animal Kingdom park daily around Midnight. One guard told me he'd met his wife as a monorail driver ("hey, wanna come up front and watch me drive the monorail?" is a great line that few get to use) Also, the park was beautiful and magical with no one around. One night the music was still playing and the mist was wrapping around the Christmas tree. VERY nice

On the down-side, the kennels at the parks are just "crating" services (some people actually never came to walk their dogs!). It's time-consuming, and time is at a premium at an expensive resort.

In short, it's best to leave your dogs at home or board them elsewhere.

Anyone else want to share?
MattNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
becky1960
DIS Veteran

I believe Epcot is the only dog walking service, we usually leave ours at the TTC since we are usually going thru this area to change Monorails etc. that way we don't loose a lot of time . We have found a local Kennel for the same price that has indoor/outdoor runs and they get to run in a play yard every day. We a Epileptic dog who needs daily medicine so he usually gets to go on vacation also.
becky1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We have an older dog that is very comfortable staying at our vet's boarding facility. We know that she is safe and cared for and it's more like home for her. She loves the staff, so she's happy.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Thanks for the info. I thought they required the owners to walk the dogs daily, but I didan't realize they don't have indoor/outdoor runs. That is horrible. I'd much rather leave my dogs at the kennel they are used to here at home. I guess I could see the usefulness of the kennels at WDW for day visitors, but for long trips, they seem inconvenient and unfair to the dogs.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

depends upon you.

I have 2 cats that stay at home - a friend, neighbor, family member or pet sitter comes to check on them....

I also take Spicey with me!!!

When I stay on WDW property he is at the FW kennel. I stay at OKW so not a big problem. during the day he likes little walk - but at night he wants a long one.

I was told that there was not alot of room to walk your dog at AK...

FW and Epcot both have lots of room to walk and run your dog. Spicey does appreciate a walk....

So he generally stays at one of them.

and yes I fully realize the problems of people not walking their dogs. the FW kennel CM will tell you upfront that it is necessary to walk your dog.

a mean dog will not be cared for - unless you walk him - or maybe I should say scared dog....some dogs can get really mean when their owners leave them. the kennel rules will not allow the CM to clean the cages or feed a dog that fulls intend to bite them....

I joined the DVC years ago - so the hotel expensive is not a big problem for me.

Sorry I remember the years before I joined (Spicey has been going since he was 3 months old, he is now 19 years old) - when I would even stay offsite to be able to have him in my room....

but he likes the kennel....I have the problem leaving him.

anyway there are other kennels in the area - where your present is not required at all. they don't work for Spicey because he likes night walk. These places generally close at 5PM.

http://www.abka.com/abka/

the disney kennels are in Lake buena Vista.

Kissimmee and Orlando are both fairly close to WDW.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

Why can they just not open a new hotel themed around dogs and cats in Disney movies and let that hotel allow pets. This way at least people would have the option of bringing their pets.
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

I have asked Disney and DVC - the reply ' we are not interested in that type of hotel' not even a maybe.

Oh the thing you were talking about - I received a survey last year. It asked a ton of questions... Only the supervisor were aware that it went out....

It will be wonderful if and when it is built.... It will be near the All Stars (if it is built).

I like Spicey to be closer to me and at present they are not going to close the other kennels because some people actually think that they can take their animals into WDW. Right now it is helpful to be able to point to the kennel and tell them to take it there.

the ferry and monrails are not surpose to allow you to take your pets on these things - so that is why the kennel is there instead of at MK.

the new kennel will in direct competiton with the other kennels. and will have all the stuff of those kennels... I don't remember everything - but massages, grooming, bigger and better cages, having a playtime for your pet with a CM, a bunch of things - the survery was very, very long....

Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Too bad they are not interested in a hotel/resort that would allow that. Or maybe cabins that did in FW. We've not stayed on property except once during our last 12 years of trips due to having our furry friends with us. There are a few nice places offsite that allow them so we usually do that.

We did find an awesome lady in Lakeland that watched our poochies last year, it was GREAT to be able to find someone we trusted and that didn't close at 5pm. That is my only gripe about the kennels at home, they all close at 5pm or 6pm and on the weekends, no one is there except once in the AM to feed and once in the PM to feed.....that's crazy!

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

My parents always travel with their cat -- no matter where they go, if they are gone overnight the cat comes too. They always stay in hotels and, if they can they carry her in, (and yes they have hid her in their coat a few times). But when in SC or at WDW they always board her and have been very pleased with the facilities. My dad has a sensitive nose and if he walks into a kennel and it smells he leaves. The kennel at AK (at least the cat section) never smells. He goes over three times a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) to see her and has never had a complaint. Just a cat owners point of view.
MinnieSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Poohbear123
Will travel without lipstick
I was tingling at SSW
Born and raised in MIAMI
I sing along to the Piped in Music!...LOUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi313
Why can they just not open a new hotel themed around dogs and cats in Disney movies and let that hotel allow pets. This way at least people would have the option of bringing their pets.
That sounds GREAT to ME!
Old 02-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSummer
My parents always travel with their cat -- no matter where they go, if they are gone overnight the cat comes too. They always stay in hotels and, if they can they carry her in, (and yes they have hid her in their coat a few times). But when in SC or at WDW they always board her and have been very pleased with the facilities. My dad has a sensitive nose and if he walks into a kennel and it smells he leaves. The kennel at AK (at least the cat section) never smells. He goes over three times a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) to see her and has never had a complaint. Just a cat owners point of view.
I feel sorry for the guests who stay in the room after your family leaves. Hope none of them are allergic to cats. I guess your dad doesn't have such as sensitive nose after all. By the way, I am a cat lover, too. Just don't have any at the moment, but had four in the recent past and they were well into their teens when they died.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #12
MattNash
MattNash

Thanks for the replies

I hope they build a centralized kennel with all the services. I can't find a decent kennel in my area. Could someone please post contact info for a good kennel near WDW? That would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
MattNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 AM   #13
MBW
Mouseketeer

Service dogs?

We have a service dog for our autistic son (6) who always travels with us. However, we don't want to take him to the parks, as I think it will be too distracting for him (he's a herding/safety dog, not a guide dog). But we definitely need him to be in the resort with Jonah.

I've heard that we can board him during the day. Is the kennel at FW the closest to VWL? How about at BWI - would that be Epcot?
OKW - 9/01, Epcot day-trip - 9/02
VWL/BWI - 2-3/06
Disneyland - 5/07, 12/07, 2/08, 5/08
AKL - 1-2/09
MBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
Doting Grandma
Earning My Ears

Epcot kennel

We boarded my niece's dog at the Epcot kennel. Like some of you, we understood that a walking service was available. It was not. So, she went to the kennel 3 times a day to walk her dog. We were staying at Beach Club, so it was not a hardship for her. However, my niece was very pleased with the kennel and the staff there.
Doting Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNash
I hope they build a centralized kennel with all the services. I can't find a decent kennel in my area. Could someone please post contact info for a good kennel near WDW? That would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

well I like the Disney kennels

but if you want something different

http://www.abka.com/abka/findAFacility/default.aspx

WDW is in Lake Buena Vista - also Kissimmee and Orlando are close by

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: