Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
ryan840
just wants to be noticed...
Too young for hot flashes!
I find Snoop Dogg strangely irresistable

Cooking chicken breasts in crock pot?

Hi. I've never posted on this board but I have a quick question for you all: how long and on what setting should I cook frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot? Thanks!

1992(?) Off-site- one day at MK that I barely remember; May 2005 OKW; May 2006 OKW and Pop; May 2007 SSR; May 2008 SSR; June 2008 Poly, ASMo and AKV; September 2008 Pop; April/May 2009 AKV, ASSp; August 2009 CBR; December 2010 AKV?
ryan840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
cryssi
Kabocha
Looking for the scripty one
I want to experiment with fondant flowers
Long live the white walls!!
I need the extra oomph

I cook frozen chicken breasts (with skin and bones) in the crock on LOW for 10-12 hrs, but I'm sure 8 hrs on low would suffice. The recipe books all say to add a bit more liquid to your dish when using frozen meat. My recommendation for chicken breasts is to add 1/4 to 1/2 c. of wine, to retain moisture.

What type of recipe are you using?
cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
RealMickeysGirl
DIS Veteran
I think my friends are important (and they know it).

I usually cook them for about 8 hours but my crock pot has an auto setting that starts out at a higher temp that helps them thaw then automatically goes to low later in the cooking so I don't know if that affects the time or not. I usually put some liquid in with them when I cook them either mushroom soup, spagetti sauce, chicken stock, what ever fits with what I am making.

RealMickeysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
ryan840

Thanks for the replies. I'm using my own concoction- pineapple juice, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper (delish!) to cook them in, and skinless/boneless chicken breasts (the flash frozen kind, rather large). Then I'll BBQ them under the broiler when my friends get here. I'll plan on 9 hours on low to be safe and take it from there- sound like a good idea?

1992(?) Off-site- one day at MK that I barely remember; May 2005 OKW; May 2006 OKW and Pop; May 2007 SSR; May 2008 SSR; June 2008 Poly, ASMo and AKV; September 2008 Pop; April/May 2009 AKV, ASSp; August 2009 CBR; December 2010 AKV?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
cryssi
Kabocha
Looking for the scripty one
I want to experiment with fondant flowers
Long live the white walls!!
I need the extra oomph

That should be fine. Just make sure your chicken is completely covered in liquid. The first time I did boneless, skinless breasts in the crock, they turned out so dry. I thought that maybe using more liquid would help. The best solution for that was as I posted above, adding some sort of alcohol (wine or beer). Actually, if anyone has a different solution for dry breasts, I'll try it out too! LOL

I found this on Rival's website:

Cooking with Frozen Foods
You can cook frozen meats in your Crock-Pot® slow cooker, however it is best to use the following guidelines:

• Add at least 1 cup of warm liquid to the stoneware before placing meat in the stoneware.

• Do not preheat the slow cooker.

• Cook recipes containing frozen meats for an additional 4 to 6 hours on Low, or an additional
2 hours on High.

Ok, so I don't really do that, I just add extra liquid, but you know, fyi...

Let us know how it turns out!
cryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
ryan840

Just wanted to say thanks again for the replies and that I still haven't tried it because my friends got sick and couldn't come over. Now I know though, and definately plan on using it while I'm recovering from this baby!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: