Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
True North
Mouseketeer

"Cool Straight People"

When Will and I were getting reading to bring Mark into our lives, I think I read the blog about a gay couples adventures in getting a baby from Gay.com about a million times. One great artical was about what the author called Cool Straight People or CSPs, which waw about all the wonderful straight people that helped the GLTB community become better intergated with mainstream society, and allow us to life our lives in peace. This is especially important to gay families as children need even more support from the community as a whole.

I am very lucky to have so many CSPs in my life. Between family, friends, and community members, so many have made Mark and my life so easy and acepted. Whether it is my sister taking over the job of "a woman's voice" to my son as he gets older, or the babysitter that talks about the diffrent styles of families, we are lucky enough to have a huge support system and live a great life.

As I have read through this board I have noticed a huge amount of CSPs that post on this board. It seems as if every thread has at least one person saying they're not gay but hope for the best in our lifes. I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all those people. Thank you for the support you give. It is only throught the suport of the majority that people in the minority can have the rights they diserve. Whether it is your support for equal-marriage, teaching your children that diversity is not something to be feared, or just being open minded to people of a diffrent lifestyle, I wanted you to know how much it means to us.
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
mickeymousemommy
Mouseketeer

Hey there! I'm a CSP with gay family and friends. I have four kids and I try my hardest to teach them that all people are different and to accept them all. It's pretty hard in today's society. I've been to Orlando during Gay Days and it was kind of nice to see couples out and about doing the "normal" things that are hidden most of the time. I'm all for happy people that are comfortable with themselves, gay or straight!

Congratulations on Mark!

All-Star Movies- 1 time
All-Star Sports- 1 time
Animal Kingdom Lodge- 1 time
Coronado Springs- 1 time
Fort Wilderness Campground- 3 times
Pop Century- 1 time
Port Orleans Riverside- 2 times

Royal Pacific Resort- 1 time
Off-site- 2 times
Day Trip- 2 times
Please read the DIS Signature Guidelines : Images in signatures cannot exceed 50K. Yours were oversized and have been removed. Click on link for full details ~ The DIS Moderators
mickeymousemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Valentine
BL II - Purple Team
Solo Travel addict
Photo Editor Wizard
Memories of Jambalaya and Sunday School...
I respect the heirachy of my cats

What a GREAT idea for a thread!! Yes.. Thank you, thank you to you all!!

Kathy

Tough Guy
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Stacerita
DIS Veteran

CSP.......Yippie I didn't know I had my own acronym.

Inappropriate graphics will be deleted from signatures.
Please remember this is a family-friendly site
Stacerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North
As I have read through this board I have noticed a huge amount of CSPs that post on this board. It seems as if every thread has at least one person saying they're not gay but hope for the best in our lifes. I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all those people. Thank you for the support you give. It is only throught the suport of the majority that people in the minority can have the rights they diserve. Whether it is your support for equal-marriage, teaching your children that diversity is not something to be feared, or just being open minded to people of a diffrent lifestyle, I wanted you to know how much it means to us.
Here Here!! Thank you Thank you Thank you Noah for that statement.

Here's to all the Cool Straight People on DIS and in the World! :
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #6
beckmrk04
Considers naming first-born Coca-Cola
No pizza discrimination here!
If I roll my eyes any harder they are going to fly out the back of my head
bless me with Henry Winkler!

CSP's- That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacerita
CSP.......Yippie I didn't know I had my own acronym.

Me either!! I have never been to these boards, but as a straight person who advocates for equal rights (and who rocks her liberal bumper stickers with pride), I was interested to see what was going on- congratulations on Mark!!! How wonderful for you!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

After all the horrible things people have been saying on the Gay Day threads I have been really ashamed of some of the straight people around here. I wanted to apologize for their behavior, but it occurred to me that the gay DISers already KNOW they have many straight allies and that those with all the ugly comments do NOT speak for all of us.

I adore my gay friends and I can't wait to experience WDW with our two very best gay friends in August. DS9 thinks his "uncles" are the most amazing men he knows. That's why we do our best to advocate for gay rights, speak up against intolerance, support companies with high diversity ratings (DH's company has a 100%!), pledge our money and our time to make the US a more welcoming place for GLBT citizens. I have yet to meet a gay or lesbian person who refuses to be my friend based on the fact that I am straight. There are plenty of straight people who could learn from that attitude!

Thank you to the gay DISers for sharing your stories, your photos, etc. You give a face and voice to the "cause" to people who might not think much about it otherwise. Not a day goes by that I don't wish for equality for all of you. You deserve every legal right a straight couple has. I hate that people have to make it a political issue. It is an issue of humanity. You all have my respect and my admiration! I hope that with all of us working together we can make a difference!
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
pjpoohbear
Back in DVC point Debt!
Sofa surfed the PC and now the TA on DCL
And … Sofa surfing the world on DCL with my DIS friends

As one of the first, non-Moderators, to post on this board, do I qualify?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=994125

Penny

Ps. And even though my wonderful big, gay, italian boy toy (see pic in thread above) ditched me for our DCL cruise in December, I still like his new fella!
1976 off-site camping, & 24 years later '00 CBR, '01 CBR, '01 Xmas ASMus, '02 DCL Wonder & POR, 2004 DCL Eastern & PopC, DVC SSR '04-'54(10/04@SSR, 04/05@OKW - F&GF, 10/05@OKW F&WF-Solo, 12/06 WLV Solo, 10/07 SSR, 12/07 AKV solo), 12/06 CC Double Dip~Magic (A lovely bunch of DISer's), 10/07~DCL Magic, the sister ships meet at Nassau, 05/08 DCL Panama Canal Repo-WB & DLR GC, B-Day F&WF Solo Sept '08, DCL Wonder 4 day and SSR 02/09, BB 3 day Wonder fall'09, DCL WBTA Repo '10, Dream Hallo'cruise 10/11

pjpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Saxton
DIS Veteran

Oooh ... I see cool straight people on the DIS! I agree - thank you to all the people that say such nice things and support us. A couple weeks ago I posted a reply to one of the Gay Days threads and I thanked all the folks that wrote positive comments. The negative statements were very hurtful and frustrating (it was so bad that the whole thread was deleted) but they were far out weighed by the kind an sensitive ones. Thank you all!!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
pezpam
DIS Veteran

I just had to say.... OMG, Mark is a cutie!!! I think I'd spend half my day blowing raspberries on those cheeks just to watch him giggle.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
beckmrk04
Considers naming first-born Coca-Cola
No pizza discrimination here!
If I roll my eyes any harder they are going to fly out the back of my head
bless me with Henry Winkler!

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezpam
I just had to say.... OMG, Mark is a cutie!!! I think I'd spend half my day blowing raspberries on those cheeks just to watch him giggle.
I was thinking the same thing!!! I'm having major baby envy right now!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
disneynutt1225
I'm a fruit loop girl
Can't afford to have a broad bra collection!
I think I'd break my butt

Hmm. I really like the acronym! I'm a CSP
Old 02-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
Mister Disney
Ludwig Von Drake of Disney Fine Dining

I've met LOTS of CSP here on the DIS

Two people who come to mind immediately are

jackskellingtonsgirl who joined us for Nosh Around the World

and Deb in IA, who along with her family joined Kevin and I on the Backstage Steam Train Tour!

WAY TO GO PEOPLE!!!!

Mister Disney a.k.a. Bob and Kevin a.k.a. Mr. D's K-Man
Mister Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #14
sotoalf
DIS Veteran

I've been lucky: most of my best guy friends are straight men. When I came out five years ago the reactions ranged from "Oh, okay..." to "Get over yourself. We KNEW!" I was 24, which should indicate how my generation (and the next one) views homosexuality as a non-issue.
sotoalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
nordkin
DIS Veteran

Thank you to all the CSP who make our lives more tolerable and there are many of you on this board.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: