Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #31
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinNYC
Hey guys, we can't all agree with everyone on the topic of gay marriage, let alone where such an event would be appropriate. Let's not get into a "troll" or "not a troll" conversation ok?
I'm happy with that. As i mentioned previously, it's really the mod's responsibility and i pretty much take everything at face value unless proven otherwise. last i'll say.
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #32
RickinNYC
DIS Veteran

MomofMNM: Thanks for that nice compliment! Made my day!

SeattleRedBear: Sent you a PM.
RickinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #33
Sarah_Elizabeth
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajetto
Yes, very good guesswork but, don't you think that instead of being boyfriend and girlfriend this is the same person. Considering that both identies have an extremely limited number of posts
I actually ran into the so called Joey on the weddings board, the thread that was erased when he made the comments about gay marriage in a children's park. I still think this is one person looking for trouble
I think its best to ignore
How paranoid. We've been together two years and live together. It's funny you think we're the same person when we have such different views. Thanks for giving us a laugh
Sarah_Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #34
Ilovestitch
DIS Veteran

They used to have a little "vow renewal" ceremony at the Garden Grill and I heard they stopped doing it b/c people complained about same sex couples doing the ceremony. I think that's sad.

And it irks me to no end when people say "but WDW is for the children" WDW is for EVERYONE- young, old, gay, straight, white, black, purple whoever!
Trips to WDW: '82 Ft. Wilderness, '91 Wilderness Cabins, '95 Offsite w/school trip, '96 ASM, '98 BWI/DCL, '00 CBR/DCL, '03 CBR/DCL, May '04 CBR/HRH, Dec. '04 Poly, May '05 AKL/Poly, Oct '05 AKL, May '06 Poly again, Oct '06 Beach Club/DCL, March '07 DL Grand Californian, Oct '07 DCL/Polynesian
Ilovestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #35
Ilovestitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Elizabeth
I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be.
I don't think that's the way it should be- I think thats sad. People shouldn't have to hide who they want to be with, life's to short to live like that.
Trips to WDW: '82 Ft. Wilderness, '91 Wilderness Cabins, '95 Offsite w/school trip, '96 ASM, '98 BWI/DCL, '00 CBR/DCL, '03 CBR/DCL, May '04 CBR/HRH, Dec. '04 Poly, May '05 AKL/Poly, Oct '05 AKL, May '06 Poly again, Oct '06 Beach Club/DCL, March '07 DL Grand Californian, Oct '07 DCL/Polynesian
Ilovestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #36
nwdisgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoohbear
I stopped reading your post at this point because you surely have forgotten why Walt Disney chose to build Disneyland and started the plans for WDW. Both locations were to be places for FAMILIES, not just CHILDREN, and if one does not let the younger generations develope thier own ideas and identities, then the problems of the past will never go away!

PJ
Yes. I couldn't believe it either. Children largely mirror what they learn at home. If they learn intolerance, then that is what they are going to be when they grow up. Childhood is the best time to teach tolerance and acceptance. Children by nature are actually very compassionate and understanding. It's we adults who teach them to be narrow and judgemental.

It is funny because some of my gay friends have been part of my life so long we just move together seamlessly and I don't even think about how it might appear to someone coming new to the scene. I had my best gay guy pal, Uncle T over when DS was a little tike. Uncle T had been out of town for a while on assignment, so the last time DS had seen him was as an infant. DS had a funny look on his face. Then I realized my DS thought Uncle T was going to take me away from Daddy - i.e who's this new guy in my mom's life?!? I had to explain to him that no, Mommy wasn't going to run away with Uncle T and leave Daddy and all that. Once DS was cool wilth the fact that Uncle wasn't taking Mommy away from Daddy then all the rest of it was a non-issue. Uncle T and DS are good buddies now, and Uncle T of course dotes on DS Children can learn the distinction of gay vs. straight and they are really okay with it.

Disney is a place for all to enjoy. Also, the Gay and Lesbian community has some of the largest per capita dollars to spend on recreation and leisure, in general. It would be very foolish to exclude this group from any travel service, Disney or otherwise.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #37
ECurto
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Elizabeth
How paranoid. We've been together two years and live together. It's funny you think we're the same person when we have such different views. Thanks for giving us a laugh
Oh here we go again. Glad to see Sarah took time away from the clan to come back and post.
ECurto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #38
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECurto
Its a shame that people on both side of the situation (gay and religious/government) cant just come to an agreement on this topic. I personally don’t get why gay people insist on "marriage". Marriage is religious, and i think should be between a man and women.
Okay, I know you don't want a debate, and that's not my intention, but I do disagree with you here.
Marriage is NOT religious, it's civil. Sure, a wedding/marriage ceremony can be religious, but in order to get married you need a government-issued marriage license.
As long as terms like "a marriage of ideas" or "a marriage of flavors" remain in use, marriage simply can NOT be 'restricted' to people of opposite genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Elizabeth
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way,
That's a relief - because I don't understand why anybody would be afraid of homosexuals/homosexuality
Quote:
What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display.
Disney isn't JUST a childrens place, and few, if any, weddings take place in full view of children or the public.
Quote:
I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade.
By appearing in public with your boyfriend and living with him you are, however subtly, 'showing off' your sexual preference. I don't know for sure, but I think gay people who do feel the need to advocate for gay pride or march in parades do so to make public the need for EQUAL treatment. If the Sufragettes didn't do that on behalf of women a century ago, we'd all still be second-class citizens with few rights, unable to even vote.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #39
lookingforward
DIS Veteran

Came to this post because we are meeting one of my best friends at WDW and she just happens to be a lesbian (just broke up with her longtime love...looking to CHEER her up). Anyway, since I live in Florida and feel that it's laws are horribly discriminating...I have to voice my opinion.

I was not surprised to learn that WDW does not allow same sex unions. Not surprised but terribly dissapointed. What a shame and a bit two faced. They offer gay days but won't go the extra step and allow people to express their love in a more formal way.

And as for the posts saying that people should not "announce" their sexuality...well don't heterosexual couples do this every day. I don't think twicce about kissing my husband, holding hands, talking about him at work, etc. Why should anyone? Love is meant to be expressed.

My daughter and I were in line at a local bagel shop and two women in front of us started to kiss. It was nothing more or less than a man and women would do. My daughter (age 7) asked why two girls were kissing and I told her that they loved each other like moms and dads love each other. She said "oh...now I get it!" It was so simple and sweet.
lookingforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #40
RickinNYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforward
Came to this post because we are meeting one of my best friends at WDW and she just happens to be a lesbian (just broke up with her longtime love...looking to CHEER her up). Anyway, since I live in Florida and feel that it's laws are horribly discriminating...I have to voice my opinion.

I was not surprised to learn that WDW does not allow same sex unions. Not surprised but terribly dissapointed. What a shame and a bit two faced. They offer gay days but won't go the extra step and allow people to express their love in a more formal way.

And as for the posts saying that people should not "announce" their sexuality...well don't heterosexual couples do this every day. I don't think twicce about kissing my husband, holding hands, talking about him at work, etc. Why should anyone? Love is meant to be expressed.

My daughter and I were in line at a local bagel shop and two women in front of us started to kiss. It was nothing more or less than a man and women would do. My daughter (age 7) asked why two girls were kissing and I told her that they loved each other like moms and dads love each other. She said "oh...now I get it!" It was so simple and sweet.
Actually, from what I understand, WDW did send out a CM memo (someone can correct me if I'm wrong but a CM friend told me about this) stating that they would soon allow commitment ceremonies. So that's the good news! Fingers crossed!

A couple of years back, my partner and I were looking to do something and were in the planning process. So I called WDW and did speak with a few different folks at Disney about allowing same sex ceremonies (non-religious, not legally binding) on their premises and I was told by one and all that it wasn't possible. From what I was told, this was because FL state law did not allow it so Disney had to abide by it. Made sense to me because Disney, the corporation, has been extremely accomodating and protective of it's gay/lesbian guests and cast members.

By the by, Disney does not sanction Gay Days. It's an independent effort started by one gentleman many years ago that has grown over time. Disney's only stance on this is, when someone complains, that WDW is for guests and families of all types.
RickinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #41
lookingforward
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually, from what I understand, WDW did send out a CM memo (someone can correct me if I'm wrong but a CM friend told me about this) stating that they would soon allow commitment ceremonies. So that's the good news! Fingers crossed!

A couple of years back, my partner and I were looking to do something and were in the planning process. So I called WDW and did speak with a few different folks at Disney about allowing same sex ceremonies (non-religious, not legally binding) on their premises and I was told by one and all that it wasn't possible. From what I was told, this was because FL state law did not allow it so Disney had to abide by it. Made sense to me because Disney, the corporation, has been extremely accomodating and protective of it's gay/lesbian guests and cast members.

By the by, Disney does not sanction Gay Days. It's an independent effort started by one gentleman many years ago that has grown over time. Disney's only stance on this is, when someone complains, that WDW is for guests and families of all types.
Thanks for the info! I never knew that Gay Days was not an offiicial celebration. I can't imagine how Florida could stop people from celebrating thier lives together....but I don't doubt that they will try! I find it painful to live in a state that won't allow lesbian and gay couples to adopt. Yet it is a state that allows them to foster care a child for 15 years. As a social worker I am horrified by that, love is love. How sad , in my opinion.
lookingforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #42
D,L and K's Mom
D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful" ~ Annette Funicello~
You've been dazed and confused for too long!

I for one just love to see weddings of any way, shape or kind.

Ahhhhh weddings I love them!! Weddings, re-hitching ceremonies, commitment ceremonies etc...I LOVE THEM!!!!!
I have no problems explaining to my children why 2 men or 2 women are holding hands or kissing. They love each other. That's it. That is the answer. Simple and beautiful. They love each other. I have never seen 2 men or 2 women "mauling" each other in the parks. I don't think I have seen a man and a women "mauling" each other in the parks either. I have seen teenagers in the parks doing this. That, I have a problem with because I have to hear "eeewwww that is gross" from the kids. Kissing anyone kissing is GROSS. I am sure that will be changing fast as they get older.
I just don't understand it..you are in a beautiful place, you are probably with your family, you are with people you love, you are happy, you are excited so you kiss the person you love....who the heck cares. I know I don't. I have no problem with it. I don't care if you are 2 men, 2 women, I don't care if you are purple, green or blue . I don't have time ...... I have to go get in line for Dumbo hee hee. As long as you are not stopping on Main Street and causing a traffic jam go ahead and kiss, hold hands. Show the person you are with that you are happy they are there with you. Show them you love them. This world needs more love. If it bothers you don't look, walk away go in the other direction. for goodness sake run if you have to but don't pass judgement.
If you see a Wedding taking place and you don't like what you see, stop watching. If you continue to watch a traditional wedding remember you may just have to explain to your children about divorce, spousal abuse etc. Ok I know I am being terrible but really now do you think that Disney allowing same sex unions is going to mean that people are standing there announcing their orientation to the whole park?? I know that if you see 2 men standing there happy declaring their love for one another you probably can figure it out but I doubt if your young children can. I don't think they are going to be screaming their vows out on Main Street. That is just absurd. If your children ask, explain it to them. Use any words you are comfortable with. It is a great time do explain about different people.
I have been to WDW many times and I think I have only seen one wedding . We have seen brides and grooms but not the ceremony. I am pretty sure these are all done in private. I think Disney should consider allowing some kind of cememony for same sex couples. I would love to see it.
Ok so I can explain to my kids about LOVE but now help me explain WAR and senseless killing???? That is the one I have trouble with........... .
D,L and K's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #43
barrie
DIS Veteran

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECurto
I personally don’t get why gay people insist on "marriage". Marriage is religious, and i think should be between a man and women. What i want is all the same rights, and benefits, which comes out of a legal ceremony. Call it a "union" "ceremony" or "film flam" for all i care. I don’t get why both sides have to be so stubborn.
I'm one of those gay people that feels strongly about wanting the right to "marry". It's not so much that I believe in the institution of marriage, I just believe that I should have the same rights as everyone else.

I'm not willing to settle for a civil union in leiu of the right to marry. I believe everyone, gay and straight, should have the right to choose either. If the church I attend sanctions gay marriage, then my country should recognize it in the same way they recognize every other wedding. If my church does not sanction gay weddings, I am free to choose another church. If I am able to choose a civil union, then my straight friends should have this choice too.

I'm also sick of having to try to figure out what to call my partner, significant other, girlfriend, lover, etc. When my straight friends refer to their husbands and wives, everyone automatically knows what their relationship is to one another. That's one of the benefits of being able to marry. Yes, marriage is a religious ceremony but it has been generalized over the years. Many people that are not particularly religious get "married". I've been to plenty of weddings that didn't have any religious part to them and those couples still consider themselves married. They refer to each other as husband and wife. There is a lot of power in language - and I'm tired of being perceived as 'less than' because I cannot use the same language to describe my loved one.

Those are my reasons for supporting the rights of gays and lesbians to marry. Having said all that, if all was equal, I probably would choose a civil union. But that pretty much is the core of the issue for me - I want the right to choose, same as my straight friends.

Wow - I think this is the longest post I have ever made on the DIS! Barrie
barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #44
d4est
The Tag Fairy is really Ghostbuster Guy in Orange!
Average everyday sane/sick psycho supergoddess
It's just a coinkie-dink

And you should have that right. Period.

And I know I shouldn't waste energy on this but I just have to comment on this:
Quote:
What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display.
I see kids a weddings all the time. Most weddings HAVE KIDS IN THEM! The "public display(s)" (of affection) at a wedding...um, the kiss (dur!), some romantic gazes, that's about it.

I gotta wonder what you think goes on at a gay wedding?

2/11 1st cruise-DCL 4 night Dream~2/10 February Fury wrecks our plans! Did Tampa family visit with Busch Gardens etc~2/09 Hard Rock Hotel and Discovery Cove
12/07 Disney’s AKL & Universal HRH~2/06 Coronado Springs! Totally Awesome!!!~2/05 Universal RPR…FOTL Rocks!!!~2/04 Marriott OWC Sea world/Bush Gardens
2/03 Offsite w/family Sea World~4/1995 Offsite (Timeshare) Sea World & MK

Make your own kind of music, sing your own special song...

Last edited by d4est; 03-02-2006 at 01:23 PM.
d4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:57 AM   #45
Elevationist
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh! How wonderful! I really really really REALLY hope and pray that this is true! My partner and I are currently engaged, and are planning our ceremony for late 2007/early 2008, and we both have our hearts absolutely set on having our commitment ceremony at Walt Disney World. Here's to hoping that by that time, WDW will have gotten it's act together with the progressive thinking and began allowing non-legally sactioned same-sex unions.

Otherwise, I'll be looking for a loophole! As one person suggested, going to Mass. or Canada for a marriage certificate, then booking a Vow Renewal... If that doesn't work, by god I'll just rent out a meeting hall or banquet area at one of the resorts! My money is just as good as the next person's, and I don't have to be COMPLETELY truthful regarding to purpose of said "banquet," now do I?

December 4-11, 2015 Art of Animation

September 2014, Pop Century - December 2009, Coronado Springs - February 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - January 2005, All-Star Music
January 2002, Offsite - July 2000, Offsite - January 2000, Offsite - April 1998, All-Star Sports - May 1986, Offsite

Elevationist is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: