Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
luvmydogs
and my cat, too
Too lazy to go to sleep
Featured in the "Women of WISH" calendar
Oh, for Pete's sake. Who in their right minds are threatened by loving, gay penguin parents?
 
luvmydogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Georgia--originally from PA
Posts: 7,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Elizabeth
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form.....
I must be a horrible mother. I began explaining homosexuality to my ds10 when he got off the bus in 1st grade and wanted to know what a f** was, because "so-and-so" had been called one. It was actually quite easy for him, even at such a young age, to understand the concept that sometimes men love men or women love women just like Mommy and Daddy love each other, and really didn't see it as a big deal at all. In fact, a few years later we saw two men at the grocery store holding hands. Ds said, "They're gay, right?" "I think so, honey." "They love each other, right?" "Yep." "Oh, OK." No muss, no fuss, no harm, no foul. Now, I'm not a big fan of extreme PDA's, but why oh why is it harmful for a child to see a hug or a kiss as an expression of affection between two people--any two people? It is offensive and sad to me that so many turn this into an Us (staight) vs. Them (gay) issue.
__________________
Kim

luvmydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
RickinNYC
DIS Veteran
 
RickinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rego Park, Queens, NYC
Posts: 7,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Elizabeth
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form. I see nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be with. What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display. I don't have pictures of me hugging and kissing my boyfriend all over the internet, so I don't see why you need to either. Whether it's biological or just a life decision, you know that your choice is one that makes a lot of people uncomfortable to see. While you may say "screw them," you're being selfish when it comes to children. They're at a very vulnerable age where they don't understand things like that. I would never make out with my boyfriend some place where I knew little children would be. I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade. It's not something I can understand, as a straight person I'd never flaunt it, and if I did I'd be considered homophobic. Are you heterophobic? I think if you did things quietly and blended into society instead of trying to stand out and show you're proud of being gay, people would be more accepting of things, but you force people into trying to understand something that they can't see as natural. I'm going to get a million replies from people flying off the handle and I couldn't care less. I have absolutely no hate in my heart. My opinion is my constitutional right, just as much as yours. And if you'd stop for a minute and think outside your defenses, you'd understand what I'm saying.
As a member of the DIS, this post really got my ire up. Not sure why you would want to post this thought on the gay/lesbian board to begin with but whether we like it or not, you are entitled to your opinion.

Nevertheless, I think your post should stay exactly as it is just to show everyone what some people are like out there. We all have to remind ourselves sometimes that, although we do live in a more enlightened age, there are still folks out there with abject hatred and disgust.

Thanks for reminding me that I, we, have a lot more work ahead of us. Because it's posts like yours that will continue to instill the intense desire to fight back against the small minded and biased.

We all need a wake up call from time to time.
RickinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #18
pjpoohbear
Back in DVC point Debt!
Sofa surfed the PC and now the TA on DCL
And … Sofa surfing the world on DCL with my DIS friends
 
pjpoohbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 9,218

What if women had just blended in and got along? We would not have the vote, or the right to hold property, we would not have the right to divorce agianst the wishes of our family, or husband. In Canada, we would not even be seen as "persons" under the laws of the land. Blending in has never gotten anything that is wrong changed.

Sticking our heads in the sand, like an ostrich, is the laziest and most pathatic thing we could do as members of society.

While I am not "gay", I have many friends who are, and I hate that they can not enjoy the same basic, societial rights as others. What have they done to hurt anyone else around them? We as a society only take away rights for punishment, why this from loving couples who are committed to one another.

PJ
pjpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,913
DISboards Moderator

I'm always amazed that it the very people who enjoy the rights of marriage, and all the legal rights that go with it, consider it "super-rights" if they apply to same-sex couples. Do they consider them "super-rights" when they apply to hetero couples?
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #20
Mama Twinkles


Join hands in a moment of science.
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 457

I suspect "Sarah Elizabeth" is a troll, here to incite defensive responses, perhaps as a shill from an extreme right-wing organization. "She" has only 5 posts. Equally likely, she's a long-time poster choosing a different name so as not to be associated with "her" own homophobic remarks, which are not worth responding to anyway (IMHO). I believe "she" is violating the terms of service in either event.

Last edited by Mama Twinkles; 02-13-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Mama Twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #21
FutureAshleyDukes
DIS Veteran
Hot dog, I love that weenie man!
 
FutureAshleyDukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in OK!
Posts: 1,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECurto
Well here is proff of what we all face everyday.

"joeyrulesall says:

I read all the new posts not by section , just by clicking new posts. I dont
care what he does privatley im just sickened that he has to pick a childrens
theme park to marry a man. I believe in protecting children from sick things ,
not stirring!"

Atleast the mods over on the wedding board cleared it up. It just makes me sick. Atleast we have friends on the other boards looking out for us!
It's sad that a small minded person like this has all the "right" in the world to get married, but a man who has been committed to his partner of 7 years doesn't.
__________________
Waiting for our Disneymoon!

Last edited by FutureAshleyDukes; 02-13-2006 at 08:18 PM.
FutureAshleyDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #22
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!
 
SeattleRedBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Office. So Sad...No Soup For Me!!
Posts: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Twinkles
I suspect "Sarah Elizabeth" is a troll, here to incite defensive responses, perhaps as a shill from an extreme right-wing organization. "She" has only 5 posts. Equally likely, she's a long-time poster choosing a different name so as not to be associated with "her" own homophobic remarks, which are not worth responding to anyway (IMHO). I believe "she" is violating the terms of service in either event.
Please people! A little bit of investigation uncovers the conspiracy.

Sarah Elizabeth is joeyrulesall's girlfriend (they reference each other in their small number of messages on the list). They both joined in August 2005 prior to their trip on Aug. 22nd-28th. I don't know enough about the typical behavior of a troll to know whether one would hold onto two accounts for six months just to flame (including making up a story about a trip), but I'm guessing it's a case of coordinated effort in terms of posting. A little disingenious on the part of Sarah Elizabeth to not state that the poster on the other thread is allegedly her boyfriend.

However, this is all strictly guesswork. : I assume the mods will sort it out. Where's Kathy Griffin when I need her?!
__________________
Disneyland: Too many times to count! First visit 1963
DisneyWorld onsite: 1991 (PO), 1995 (ASM), 2009 (PC/DDP) , 2013 (PC/DDP/Marathon)
DisneyWorld offsite 2002/2004/2006 GayDays
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....

Last edited by SeattleRedBear; 02-13-2006 at 06:59 PM.
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #23
Mama Twinkles


Join hands in a moment of science.
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 457

Ah, a trolie a deux. Ratio of mentions of heterosexual orientation to number of messages is quite high. This calls for some compassion.
Mama Twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #24
Viki
Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?
 
Viki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
However, this is all strictly guesswork. : I assume the mods will sort it out. Where's Kathy Griffin when I need her?!
LOL!!! Well, I'm going to need step by step instructions from the Master (bow, bow) to sort any of it out!
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #25
Sarah_Elizabeth
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
Please people! A little bit of investigation uncovers the conspiracy.

Sarah Elizabeth is joeyrulesall's girlfriend (they reference each other in their small number of messages on the list). They both joined in August 2005 prior to their trip on Aug. 22nd-28th. I don't know enough about the typical behavior of a troll to know whether one would hold onto two accounts for six months just to flame (including making up a story about a trip), but I'm guessing it's a case of coordinated effort in terms of posting. A little disingenious on the part of Sarah Elizabeth to not state that the poster on the other thread is allegedly her boyfriend.

However, this is all strictly guesswork. : I assume the mods will sort it out. Where's Kathy Griffin when I need her?!


[b]Very good, detective. Joe is my boyfriend, and we actually have arguments over this because of our differing opinions on homosexuality. I don't see it as altogether wrong, so my reply in his defense was strictly in the context I stated; on marriage in Disneyworld and nothing more.
Sarah_Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #26
sajetto
Wedding Pavilion Bride 2007
I could eat Pad Thai everyday
I was gonna put Val Kilmer next
 
sajetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NC, OKW, & AKV
Posts: 4,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
Please people! A little bit of investigation uncovers the conspiracy.

Sarah Elizabeth is joeyrulesall's girlfriend (they reference each other in their small number of messages on the list). They both joined in August 2005 prior to their trip on Aug. 22nd-28th. I don't know enough about the typical behavior of a troll to know whether one would hold onto two accounts for six months just to flame (including making up a story about a trip), but I'm guessing it's a case of coordinated effort in terms of posting. A little disingenious on the part of Sarah Elizabeth to not state that the poster on the other thread is allegedly her boyfriend.

However, this is all strictly guesswork. : I assume the mods will sort it out. Where's Kathy Griffin when I need her?!

Yes, very good guesswork but, don't you think that instead of being boyfriend and girlfriend this is the same person. Considering that both identies have an extremely limited number of posts
I actually ran into the so called Joey on the weddings board, the thread that was erased when he made the comments about gay marriage in a children's park. I still think this is one person looking for trouble
I think its best to ignore
__________________
sajetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #27
FionaLovesShrek
Oompah....Argh!
I just figured I was out of the loop
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Elizabeth
Actually, I agree with him, and it's not because I'm homophobic in any way, shape or form. I see nothing wrong with choosing who you want to be with. What I disagree with is choosing a CHILDREN'S place to make a public display. I don't have pictures of me hugging and kissing my boyfriend all over the internet, so I don't see why you need to either. Whether it's biological or just a life decision, you know that your choice is one that makes a lot of people uncomfortable to see. While you may say "screw them," you're being selfish when it comes to children. They're at a very vulnerable age where they don't understand things like that. I would never make out with my boyfriend some place where I knew little children would be. I know someone who's gay and whenever he's home you'd NEVER know it. He never talks about it, never calls anyone his "boyfriend" and would never kiss or hug a man in front of his family. That's the way it should be. No one should need to announce or show off their sexual preference. Neither of us goes around announcing we're straight or making a production of our rights, so I don't know why so many gay people feel the need to have gay pride or march in a parade. It's not something I can understand, as a straight person I'd never flaunt it, and if I did I'd be considered homophobic. Are you heterophobic? I think if you did things quietly and blended into society instead of trying to stand out and show you're proud of being gay, people would be more accepting of things, but you force people into trying to understand something that they can't see as natural. I'm going to get a million replies from people flying off the handle and I couldn't care less. I have absolutely no hate in my heart. My opinion is my constitutional right, just as much as yours. And if you'd stop for a minute and think outside your defenses, you'd understand what I'm saying.
This is not usually a topic I would comment on, and while everyone has the right to give their opinions, I just feel this is so harshly written. WDW is not a children's park exclusively. Walt Disney created an atmosphere for every person to give in to the fantasy of a make believe world. A world where fun abounds and memories are forever engraved on the heart. You make these memories with those you love. Expressing your emotional connection with your special someone is natural when you are in Never Land. I love holding hands with my DH, kissing him tenderly and sharing the magic of WDW with him. Maybe you find it repulsive to see others sharing affection with each other, but this is our special time, our planned for vacation and we are making memories. According to you, I am showing my sexual preference when I do. I find this offensive, so I can only imagine how the OP feels. I am a woman, married to a man and have a DD who I hope grows up to be affectionate and loving. We all need more magical moments in our lives, and it doesn't mean we have to agree with or condone other peoples choices. I prefer sweet red wine, DH likes Irish Cream Liquer. There is too much controversy in the world, so being at WDW is a chance to escape all that and just enjoy yourself. If you see something that makes you uncomfortable, change your view, WDW is a big place.
FionaLovesShrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #28
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!
 
SeattleRedBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Office. So Sad...No Soup For Me!!
Posts: 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajetto
Yes, very good guesswork but, don't you think that instead of being boyfriend and girlfriend this is the same person. Considering that both identies have an extremely limited number of posts
I actually ran into the so called Joey on the weddings board, the thread that was erased when he made the comments about gay marriage in a children's park. I still think this is one person looking for trouble
I think its best to ignore
I agree this is also a possibility. I have never moderated a forum nor know the patterns that give evidence to a troll. Because there are (unfortunately) so many people in this world (and on these boards) who actually hold those views, it is hard for me to say whether it is one malicious person or several sincere individuals. In any case, my response would most likely be the same. I think the fact that the response in this forum was (and will continue to be) supportive means that if it's someone whose sole purpose is to "bait" us, it will only happen occasionally and will die down pretty quickly.
__________________
Disneyland: Too many times to count! First visit 1963
DisneyWorld onsite: 1991 (PO), 1995 (ASM), 2009 (PC/DDP) , 2013 (PC/DDP/Marathon)
DisneyWorld offsite 2002/2004/2006 GayDays
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #29
RickinNYC
DIS Veteran
 
RickinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rego Park, Queens, NYC
Posts: 7,888

Hey guys, we can't all agree with everyone on the topic of gay marriage, let alone where such an event would be appropriate. Let's not get into a "troll" or "not a troll" conversation ok?
RickinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #30
MOMOFMNM
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinNYC
Hey guys, we can't all agree with everyone on the topic of gay marriage, let alone where such an event would be appropriate. Let's not get into a "troll" or "not a troll" conversation ok?

can I just interupt the debate here and say how cute you and your partner look in your avatar???


that's all...
MOMOFMNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.