Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI
Jewish beliefs and Christian ones are very different.. They always have been..I hate the Term Judeo-Christian
I have to agree wholeheartedly here. I find myself having this discussion all the time because people think that they are much closer than they are. Underlying philosophical views are very very different.

(By the way. JennyMominRI you gave a fabulous explaination of the underlying philosophy of kashrut in the "Who won't settle for less than legal" thread. Something many people don't understand.)

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #17
majortom
Mouseketeer

Location: Winter Garden, FL, Venice, CA, San Francisco, CA, Skokie, IL

I am an active member at three different synagogues two in Chicago and one in Orlando. All three are very welcoming. Rabbi Dan Wolpe, Rabbi at the Southwest Orlando Jewish Congregation (the closest synagogue to WDW - www.SOJC-Orlando.org) is one of the best I have ever met. I highly recommend him and SOJC for those looking in Orlando.

/carmi
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
Boston5602
DIS Veteran

Just my family's story.....

We live just south of Boston and two years ago , with the catholic priest sex scandal my oldest niece ( 8 yo then ) came home from ccd ( catholic sunday school) telling us how gays are evil and shouldn't get married ,which we now can here anyways...... my sister and two nieces live with me and have since they were born we didn't want them in that church anymore but my sister still wanted to have the kids go to some sort of church class. I looked into all the church's in our area and we found a Congregational Church that is part of the U.C.C. , United Church of Christ, and we were welcomed with open arms . This was the same group of churches that made the commercial that the networks would not carry. It had the bouncers guarding a red velvet rope in front of church and they were turning away inter racial couples , handicapped , and gay people. The message was our church doesn't turn away anyone. I like this church because it gives guidance it doesn't tell you HOW to believe in God just in MANY ways that you can. They
believe god made all of his children, and how we treat each other is up to us.

this may not be right for you but it gives you another option , In case your interested
Here is the web site for Asheville - http://www.uccasheville.org/

Good Luck
Old 03-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #19
gppnj

Mouseketeer

About two years ago I had a second coming out when I finally admitted - first to myself and then to others - that I am basically an atheist. I'd like to believe in a god, but I don't and never have.

[img]
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/rgmarquez/sigs/GCVLogo3-1a.jpg[/img]

Next WDW trip: Dec. 3-7, 2009, at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. (Yay!) I'll be there after a Disney cruise from Nov. 29 - Dec. 3.
gppnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #20
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

My partner, hisselfness is an atheist and has been his whole life. So here we are, the Jew and the atheist, 19 happy years later. It all works for some reason. Let's face it, there's never an argument about Christmas...

Geez, gay, a Jew and an atheist, now there's enough to get some folks clutching their chests ...

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #21
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Boston 5602,

Lisa and I have been attending the UCC Congregational Church in Asheville for the past several weeks now and just love it!!!!!

There are so many couples that look like us and they are extremely welcoming. We have even convinced several of our friends to come with us.

The Pastor of this church, Rev. Joe Hoffman just took a REALLY big stand for the rights of gay people to marry. He got up during his sermon on February 19th and told the congregation that he would no longer be officiating at weddings in the church until he could sign the official paperwork for gay couples as well. People are still welcome to use the church for weddings, but another minister has to be present to sign the paperwork. The entire congregation was on its feel applauding after he finished speaking. It was amazing to see such support from a church congregation.

Linda
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gppnj
About two years ago I had a second coming out when I finally admitted - first to myself and then to others - that I am basically an atheist. I'd like to believe in a god, but I don't and never have.
I know what you mean, gppnj. Telling people that you are an atheist is indeed a type of second coming out and one that meets with a lot of disapproval. Been there, done that.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #23
Ronda93
DIS Veteran

Another vote for the UCC. I grew up in this denomination and am proud of their outreach. Check out www.stillspeaking.org. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: