Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
TN Traveler
DIS Veteran

We Have Snow!!!

FINALLY! Snow that counts...well.....for us it counts anyway!! Yesterday it rained ALL day long until 7 or so and as the temps dropped the rain turned into snow. I was at a trade show in Nashville and hoped it would end quickly but it didn't. The flakes got fatter and it came down harder! By the time our meeting was over and my friend took me back to where my car was parked, I had a good inch to inch and half on my car!! It snowed until 11:30 or so last night so of course the kids are out of school. We have probably an inch on the ground which is nothing to those of you in the north, but for us in TN, it's ALOT!! So, as you can guess, the camera is ready and I'm waiting on the kids to get dressed to go out and play in our whopping 1 inch of snow!! What a fun day of scrapping I'll have!!

Have a GREAT day!
Karen
TN Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
jennyL
Jon Bon Jovi. Ohh La La!
I'm way compulsive over my tv
The shoes have to be great especially when you butcher the song
I have issues but my friends love me anyway

At least you have an inch to play in. Last year here in Raleigh the whole city was shut down with about 1/4". We had kids at school that had to spend the night. It was all over the news and was just horrible for the small amount of snow. LOL

I rememeber when we first moved to NC in 1986 from Pennsylvania we had a huge snowstorm for NC something like 12" my mom says. Well my brothers and I all had out snowsuits out and went to play. Noone else had a snowsuit!! They thought we were funny but at least we were warm and dry. Of course now a days I just put some rain pants over my jeans and head out in the snow when we get it. No more snow suit for me either. I've been here way to long I guess.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dqfx4obg1t7zr.png[/img]
jennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
TN Dreamer
Mouseketeer
(When did that happen??)

I am so jealous!!! I want some snow!!! We have not had a significant snow fall in years. Can you believe the middle of January and our temperatures have been in the 50's and 60's, you would think it is spring. Tomorrow our high is suppose to be 61!!

1971 Offsite 1988 Offsite 2005 OKW 2007 OKW

Grammy to Jacob 4 months old.
TN Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
TN Traveler
DIS Veteran

TN Dreamer--Where in E. TN are you located? I'm surprised you didn't get any of the snow that moved through here Tues night. After starting out w/temps in the high 50s/low 60s and LOTS of rain (think 3") the temps started dropping late in the afternoon and snow started falling in the Nashville area around 6:30/7:00. We ended up a/good inch. Kids were out of school Wed so of course my youngest two girls (6 & 9) HAD to go out and play. Oldest daughter was the typical teen and slept in!!

As the old saying goes, if you don't like the weather today in Nashville, wait until tomorrow and it'll change! And it did...by noon temps had soared into the 50s and all the snow was gone! This is our first significant snow fall (1" or more) in over 3 yrs so it was nice. I'm still waiting for that BIG snow that's 6" or more....that'll rock our world around here! And for those of you that are up north that get snow all the time and are laughing at us, it's true, we really don't know how to drive in snow!! In my entire life (45 yrs) I have seen 6" of snow on the ground from one snowfall only once or twice. About 3 yrs ago we got between 6" and 9" (depending on where located in mid-TN) and then I'm sure once or twice when I was a kid. So you see, an inch is a big deal for us...of course we get alot of ice which, IMHO, is a lot worse than snow.
Off to scrap!!
Karen
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
TN Dreamer
Mouseketeer
(When did that happen??)

I live in Morristown we are in the valley, it is about 45 mins east of Knoxville (the Great Smoky Mountains are within 1 hr. drive). Yes we got plenty of rain, in fact we typically get our best snow fall when a low pressure moves up the valley from Chattanooga. But this was not the case the other night. Some counties around us had school closings and delays. We just had a dusting on cars, nothing significant. I guess the last time I can remember a fairly good snow fall was in 2003. If if your area is like ours, a dusting is all that it takes to shut the whole town down. Also, when you live in East Tennessee, like the old saying, "stick around 'cause the weather will change". Do you remember the "blizzard of '93? (hope I am correct on year) We were buried here in East Tennessee. But you know, I have lived in East Tennessee all my life, and growing up I remember getting out of school at lot because of snow. That is sure not the case now.

1971 Offsite 1988 Offsite 2005 OKW 2007 OKW

Grammy to Jacob 4 months old.
TN Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
disneyfreakjackie
The only thing better than a Disney trip is a new tag!
I want my tag fairy to be Jon Bon Jovi in a soft white robe . . . or not!!
Pick on Bon Jovi and you'll be living on a prayer

Talking

PLEASE!!!! Take ALL the snow!!! I don't want ANY here in NJ!! I'm glad you and your kids are enjoying it!!
6/94~Poly*5/00~DixieLandings*12/00~Sports*12/01~Sports*4/02~Riverside*12/03~Music*8/04~Wilderness Lodge*5/05~Riverside & Caribbean Beach*8/05~Coronado Springs*02/06~French Quarter*8/06~Coronado Springs & DISNEY WONDER*8/07~POP & DISNEY MAGIC-Eastern*8/08~Coronado Springs*5/09~Movies*10/10~7-nights @ Bay Lake Tower! & DISNEY MAGIC-Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise *8/11~9-nights~Bay Lake Tower*5/12~ Boardwalk Villa's~6-nights*~11/12 Grand CALIFORNIAN & DISNEY WONDER-Mexican Riviera*8/13~Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani~10-nights

disneyfreakjackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Same thing here! I don't want any snow here in Jersey. We've been having some wonderful weather in high 50s low 60s in the middle of January would love for the whole winter to be like this

Have a great weekend everyone from a lurker

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
TN Traveler
DIS Veteran

Our snow was gone in just a couple of hours due to a high pressure system that brought us temps in the mid 60s. Doesn't look like we'll get any more this week either as temps are forecasted to be in the mid-50s all week long!

TN Dreamer--I don't remember the "blizzard of 93" but I do remember Jan 16 02 .....or was it 03? Anyway....it started snowing about 9:30, kids were let out of school at 10 and my girls didn't get home until 12. By the time it was done there were areas of Gallatin (where we live north of Nashville) that reported up to 9" of snow!! I honestly don't know if I've ever seen that much snow at one time!! We had so much fun. When DH got home from work all of us got the "snow clothes" on, DH hooked up 2 sleds to the back of the tractor and pulled us around our farm. We went across the back creek where none of the cows had been yet...MAN it was so pretty. The snow hadn't been walked in, it was still attached to the side of the trees, no sounds except distant car noise and animals. Absolutely beautiful. Really does make you realize just how blessed we are to live in this beautiful state!

I have an idea where you are. I love the Smokies. We haven't been as a family since I was preggers w/DD(6) so that was 7 yrs ago. I went about 3 yrs ago w/girlfriends from church but not since then. I really miss it. DH and I used to go every year but since his mother got sick, we've had to stay around here...no one to watch our livestock. I can get my mom to stay w/our girls but we have to have someone keep an eye on our cows & goats, plus feed our dog and 3 cats. It's beautiful there.
I have grown up in Nashville area all my life too and seems like we got out of school for snow alot more than kids do now. The year I graduated (78) we went only 2 or 3 days during the entire month of Jan b/c of constant snow and ice. Sure could use some of that time now to scrap!!
Have a great day everyone!!
Karen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: