Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

Question about matting?

How many layers do you think of when something is to be matted? I usually think of the photo as one layer and then 1 or 2 more colors behind it.
Just wondering.
Of course now that I have my perfect layers I have been having a ball with matting....and will do several mats.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
jennyL
Jon Bon Jovi. Ohh La La!
I'm way compulsive over my tv
The shoes have to be great especially when you butcher the song
I have issues but my friends love me anyway

I just got my perfect layers at the end of December and haven't had a real chance to play with it yet. I can't wait. Maybe I'll get a chance in some of the upcoming swaps I'm in.

For matting I usually have the picture and then a layer under it of some color. Then that is usually mounted on a background of color. If I'm using a white background then I usually add two colors under the picture.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dqfx4obg1t7zr.png[/img]
jennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
marissat
Mouseketeer

depends if what picture I want to stand out....I just did a soccer page with the team pictures and a only put dark blue behind the big team picture but light blue then dark blue under my sons pictures because I wanted that picture to stand out more.

the most I have done is in my 8x8 book. I have a pink baby picture so I have the Picture a black mat then a pink mat then a black mat again. and all that is on pink background.

Marissa

5/03...Port Orleans/AKL

12/00...First Trip..CSprings
marissat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
PoohBearLovinMama
DIS Veteran

I am a matting freak. I mat just about every picture that goes onto my pages, just one layer/color though. If I want a picture to stand out, I'll use two layers/colors. I'm really debating getting the perfect layers though, I just don't want to end up in the ER.
PoohBearLovinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Spinning

I love my perfect layers! I changed knives though, I really like the kind that has a big red handle. Much less slipping. I never cut my self but I did cut into the plastic with the small handled knife that came with it.
But perfect layers is my all time favorite tool! I love the mats...plus now I have been scrapping lots of 5x7's and I matte and matte and matte...thin matts, thick mats, thin again etc....

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Twigs
DIS Cast Member
I got tagged even though I wasn't optimistic!

When I mat a photo it depends on whether I am using a colored or patterned paper as a wallpaper. In those cases I usually only use one color under a picture, sometimes 2. If it is a white background I usually use 2 colors to mat the photo. To use more than that it would have to be a special picture that I was using and I probably wouldn't have too many other elements on the page, and that happens VERY rarely with me.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
WDWAurora
I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'm Patrick's...And his princess...Can Tink be a princess? Please?

This is interesting to read, because I was looking at the rules for one of the swaps and it said that 3 colors should be involved in the mats and since I always use colored or patterned paper, 3 layers just seemed crazy to me! Two layers seems normal, as does one, but three for all the ones in the swap just seemed over the top. Glad that the 1-2 layers seems more "standard."
WDWAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Double matted - I consider something double matted if there are 2 layers under the primary focus of the element. If it's a really neat sticker, Jolee item or even a brad, then 2 colors under it is double matted. I tend to do more double matting of "things" on the page rather than the photos, but it all depends. But I can't think of a time I'd ever use 3 colors! That's just too much IMHO!

When I use CM pages - or any plain, white page - I almost always double mat my photos. Otherwise it's too bland. However, I like to wallpaper. Then I just mix it up & tend to double mat special or my favorite photos on the page.

I recently did some heritage recipe albums for Christmas gifts. I did wallpaper the pages, but they were a combo of CS & PP. For photos/elements on the CS I used some of the PP as one of the mats and tended to double mat. For the things on the PP I used only one CS mat for the most part, but I was using a Fiskars lace corner rounder - so there was added interest there.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
bubbasmom99

Disney Obsessed
I know you guys would understand the obsession....

I love the Perfect Layers too!

I consider "double-matted" (like in swap descriptions) to mean two layers of cardstock/paper. However, I rarely double mat my photos... I usually single mat them. Other page elements, like journal boxes & deco squares and tags are double matted.

I don't use plain background pages, though, so sometimes I don't mat my photos at all.... I have strips of paper or blocks of paper as background, but not necessarily centered on the photo.

4/14 - WDW BCV + Disney Dream to the Bahamas, 1/13 - DL GCH
5/11 - WDW BCV + Disney Dream to the Bahamas, 1/11 - 2 nt cruise to nowhere on the Wonder! 5/10 - DL HOJO + Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera, 7/09 - DL - DLH, 12/08 - US/IoA - RPR + 7 nt Eastern Magic, 11/07 - DL DLH, 5/07 - DL - BWPPI, 12/06 - WDW BCV + 7 night Magic with 2 stops @ CC 12/05 - WDW VWL, 12/05-DL Doubletree, 8/05 - DL DLH, DL 6/05 - DL HoJo, 3/05 - DL Candy Cane Inn, 12/04 - WDW AKL/BCV and 3 day Wonder , 11/03-DL WestCoast Anahem, 5/03- WDW WLV, 10/02-DL DLH, 11/01-DL GCH, 3/01 - DL DLH, 12/00 - WDW Dixie Landings, 12/99 - DL Crystal Suites, 8/98 - DL DLH, 8/96 - WDW Grand Floridian & Contemporary - **honeymoon**
bubbasmom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Sandy22
Adopting a Princess
You'd never catch me with a 2 slicer again!
the looty booty!

I never mat using more than 2 colors - and that goes for both paper scrapping and digital scrapping. I think any more than 2 colors/layers would draw attention away from the picture I was matting.
2000 December Off-site
2001 August – All-Star Music
2003 December Off-site
2005 October - Pop Century (free dining!)
2006 December 4 weeks in Orlando!

2008 March - 10 days of fun in the sun...can't wait to go back!
2009 January - 3 weeks in Daytona and Orlando
Sandy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
JudithM
DIS Veteran

Spinning, good question ... I don't mat everything - sometimes I mat each photo on a page or maybe I mat the one or tow photos I want to jump out or maybe no matting at all . I usually just mat with one paper/one layer, but sometimes it is two. I never thought about more than two though although I did read about it in a swap here.
JudithM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
nicki dahling
CyndiAKADisneyqueen
I can't wait to have my own scraproom

I tend to mat in layers of two. Usually on the focus picture and then 1 layer of mat for the others or no mat at all. I can't think of many times where I have triple matted an element. That's a lot of paper and since most of my albums are cm that's a lot of weight on my refill pages. Especially since I wallpaper in most cases.

Cyndi

Hey, my family doesn't call me the Disney Queen for Nothin !

WDW July 1998, WDW December 2001, WDW August 2002, WDW December 2004, WDW May 2005, WDW August 2011!
nicki dahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
GrayFal
I am REALLY over-vacationed this year ... well, EVERY year!

Occasionally, to make a picture really 'pop' - I have double matted....but usually only single. Sometimes I find the wider, double mat will 'calm' down a very busy or colorful picture.
I also like to use several papers on the page - maybe tearing or angling a diferent colr across a PP - and then I don't mat at all.
Triple seems like overkill - have never seen it in all my scrolling thru '2Peas' gallery.
Magic "Double Dip" Special Western 11/11/06 Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 8/18/07

Wonder 12/6/07 "Surf & Turf" 9/18/10 Magic Westbound Trans-Atlantic "30th Anniversary" Cruise
& 14 Day Hawaii October 2012
GrayFal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
pattyT
Registered

Your going to make me buy that aren't you

I have rarely done up to 4 matts...
but that was a single picture layout with a black background and I wanted to make that picture just POP

usually one, ocassionally 2.
pattyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
Spinning

Yep Patty you need magic layers. I think someone else is also selling it, Stampin' up maybe. It was a home sales person at a crop.
I have to say I love it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: