Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #1096
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
I am also bummed in that you used to get so much MORE before they had the parties. The characters used to dress up during the day and they had the halloween firework show for everyone.

I have to admit that the years they did it at DCA there wasn't that many crowds at all but then it was mostly just trick or treating and some characters. There was no fireworks and just a small character cavalcade.
ITA with the above! Before the parties you used to get a lot in DL with your regular park ticket. The DCA parties were not as crowded, and yes not as much offerings, but the prices were much much much lower. Even counting for inflation, I remember them being very reasonable for what you got (lower crowds, trick or tricking, dance parties and character meets).
Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #1097
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
The Halloween Party at DLR seems really nice. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint of it. Shame about Chip, Dale and Donald. Looking forward to more.
It was nice! I'd heard such a mixed bag of reviews that we didn't know if it would be fun or not, but we really enjoyed ourselves.

Quote:
Nice update. Your trip mirrors ours quite a bit. I guess we were lucky in that when we did our frist trip at DW back in 05 we didn't have massive crowds like they seem to have here. And of course since it was so close to halloween I am sure that didn't help. I wonder if the earlier ones like in Sept on a Tues are better?? Although because so many locals go maybe not. I was a bit bummed though because that entire trip was SO crowded that it made me not really happy about coming then and usually I LOVE Halloween at the parks. I am also bummed in that you used to get so much MORE before they had the parties. The characters used to dress up during the day and they had the halloween firework show for everyone.

The longest line we waited in was for Jack and Sally and we didn't even bother with Mickey which bummed me out cuz they were so cute but like you it was super long.

We are hoping to go next Nov around Vets day and at least will get to see the mansion and hopefully IASWH will be up by then as well.

I have to admit that the years they did it at DCA there wasn't that many crowds at all but then it was mostly just trick or treating and some characters. There was no fireworks and just a small character cavalcade. The parade in DW is worth it alone with the headless horsemen and such.

We too saw the dapper dans (halloween version having a brain fart LOL) But we saw them in the HM. They just happened to come out on the upper balcony and started singing. I am so glad I got to see it!

Sounds like you had a great time nonetheless!
I think the parties pretty much all sell out these days, regardless of how close it is to Halloween, unfortunately... I do agree with you that I sort of wish Halloween would just be like Christmas at Disneyland—where there isn't a hard-ticketed event and everyone can just enjoy all the offerings. And I'm sure the DCA party would have been nice crowd-wise, though it does sound like there wasn't as much to do.

Glad you got to see the Cadaver Dans. We made it out to see their Limited Time Magic performance at the Mansion as well, and I agree that it was quite fun!

Hope you get to make it out for Halloween Time/the beginning of Christmas next year. I just love Disneyland during all the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
ITA with the above! Before the parties you used to get a lot in DL with your regular park ticket. The DCA parties were not as crowded, and yes not as much offerings, but the prices were much much much lower. Even counting for inflation, I remember them being very reasonable for what you got (lower crowds, trick or tricking, dance parties and character meets).
Interesting. Since I can't compare it to the DCA parties, I guess I just don't know what to think. I will say, though, that I LOVE the feel of Disneyland decorated for Halloween and everything, and I don't know if it would be possible to get that same feeling at DCA...
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #1098
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Update 9/5

Chapter 157
Fireworks! Parades! Duffy!

In this update, we watch the awesome Halloween Screams fireworks as well as checking out the parade, Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade. The party comes to an end and I give our brief review. Check it out here.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
Old 09-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #1099
tdashgirl
DIS Veteran

The halloween fireworks are the best!!! Another reason why I was disappointed with the last party I attended -- thanks to winds, they didn't have the "exclusive" fireworks show. You can't control the weather, but seriously, it's a bummer when you miss out on a "party exclusive" which is one of the best fireworks shows Disney puts on (IMO).
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #1100
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Loved the rest of the halloween party! I don't know how we missed the little parade. I think every time it was going on we were somewhere else in a LINE lol. I do think it is fun and honestly seeing the amazing costumes that the people who attend the party are wearing is pretty amzing right there. I just wish they would limit the tickets a bit more so it isn't just SO packed. As you said there just isn't enough time to do it all.

I don't know if or when we will go back to DL for a party because when you are paying for 4 or 5 people it gets pretty spendy but I would love to go to one in DW again someday. I think you will really like their's.

As always looking forward to your next update.

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #1101
kelmac284

tdash I know what you mean. You are paying SO much and then when you miss out on something as big as the fireworks it is pretty dissapointing. We had that happen in DW. We paid for the xmas party and it poured rain. We asked about a refund but they refused and said they would only give us tickets for another party. Only problem is it was our last night and we were leaving. We live in CA so not like we could come back. It was VERY dissapointing in that so much was rained out, we were cold and miserable and wet and honestly I didn't like it nearly as much as the halloween one. Stinks when that happens.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #1102
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Not a Real Update 9/8

As the title of this post indicates, this isn't a real update, but I just made a brief post about the t-shirts that my "friends" the Cats of Disneyland are currently selling via Teespring. I highly recommend checking these out. Click here to read more.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #1103
kelmac284

LOVE those shirts. Too bad I am on a budget cuz I would def get one. Very cute!

Old 09-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #1104
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdashgirl View Post
The halloween fireworks are the best!!! Another reason why I was disappointed with the last party I attended -- thanks to winds, they didn't have the "exclusive" fireworks show. You can't control the weather, but seriously, it's a bummer when you miss out on a "party exclusive" which is one of the best fireworks shows Disney puts on (IMO).
That's awful about the fireworks getting cancelled! I know that was our biggest fear when paying all that extra money for tickets...

Quote:
Loved the rest of the halloween party! I don't know how we missed the little parade. I think every time it was going on we were somewhere else in a LINE lol. I do think it is fun and honestly seeing the amazing costumes that the people who attend the party are wearing is pretty amzing right there. I just wish they would limit the tickets a bit more so it isn't just SO packed. As you said there just isn't enough time to do it all.

I don't know if or when we will go back to DL for a party because when you are paying for 4 or 5 people it gets pretty spendy but I would love to go to one in DW again someday. I think you will really like their's.

As always looking forward to your next update.
There was just always so much going on (and so many people everywhere) so I'm sure there are some things we missed as well. I agree that just looking at other guests' costumes is an attraction in itself!

And you're totally right that the party becomes much less worth the price when you have a big family. Luckily with just the two of us and the AP discount, it wasn't that bad.

Quote:
tdash I know what you mean. You are paying SO much and then when you miss out on something as big as the fireworks it is pretty dissapointing. We had that happen in DW. We paid for the xmas party and it poured rain. We asked about a refund but they refused and said they would only give us tickets for another party. Only problem is it was our last night and we were leaving. We live in CA so not like we could come back. It was VERY dissapointing in that so much was rained out, we were cold and miserable and wet and honestly I didn't like it nearly as much as the halloween one. Stinks when that happens.
It's definitely frustrating that the parties are so dependent on the weather. I feel like I've heard so many stories about people missing out on parades and/or fireworks because of inclement conditions...

Quote:
LOVE those shirts. Too bad I am on a budget cuz I would def get one. Very cute!
Thanks! I'll pass your praises along to the cats

Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #1105
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 158
Orange You Glad It’s Halloween?

We take a few days off from the parks in order to check out some of the Halloween festivities going on around Orange. If you like goats in costumes, I highly recommend reading the update posted here.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 09-17-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #1106
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

How cute are the goats?! While I was a child my family had a small herd of goats. Mostly, they were wonderful pets. My brother had to milk one everyday, so I'm assuming he didn't think they were all that great.

I always enjoyed watching them play "king of the hill". One would jump up on a large stump, and one of the others would try to knock him/her off. And I remember how they would randomly (seemingly) come in to shelter. Within an hour a storm would inevitably hit. They were better than the weather channel.

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #1107
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Still following along.

The goats are awesome! I have a friend that goes to the Philippines to help dig wells, build schools etc as part of his church. When he goes, I give him about $50. That will buy a goat for a family. There are at least 4 goats in that part of the Philippines due to me. I think that might be as close as I get to keeping goats for myself.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #1108
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy4DL View Post
How cute are the goats?! While I was a child my family had a small herd of goats. Mostly, they were wonderful pets. My brother had to milk one everyday, so I'm assuming he didn't think they were all that great.

I always enjoyed watching them play "king of the hill". One would jump up on a large stump, and one of the others would try to knock him/her off. And I remember how they would randomly (seemingly) come in to shelter. Within an hour a storm would inevitably hit. They were better than the weather channel.
That's awesome that you grew up with goats. I'm totally jealous. And we see the ones at Disneyland play "king of the hill" with the barrels sometimes. Always funny to watch. That's also interesting that they apparently have pretty excellent internal barometers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Still following along.

The goats are awesome! I have a friend that goes to the Philippines to help dig wells, build schools etc as part of his church. When he goes, I give him about $50. That will buy a goat for a family. There are at least 4 goats in that part of the Philippines due to me. I think that might be as close as I get to keeping goats for myself.
I'm glad you're still keeping up with all the reports! That's great that you have single-handedly increased the goat population in the Philippines. Maybe someday you'll get to go there yourself and meet them.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #1109
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Update 9/16

Chapter 159
Pre-Birthday

It's a typical evening in the parks, though we witness plenty of guest shenanigans. And then the next morning is one of our last chances to see the Halloween decorations in the daylight. Read all about it in the update posted here.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #1110
gardengirl2790
Mouseketeer

Halloween time looks like a lot of fun, although crowded. The popcorn bucket is really cute.
gardengirl2790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: