Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
kkwis2
DIS Veteran

Can I freeze a Baker's Square pie???

So one of my favorite holiday treats is the candy cane pie from Baker's Square. They only make at Christmas, so the window to enjoy it is very small. I don't live near a Baker's Square (at least 150 miles away), so I had to pick one up when we drove past a BS on Sunday.

Here's the question: Can I freeze it? Has anyone done this successfully? It has a creamy center with peppermint pieces in it and whipped cream on top? I would like to serve it on Christmas, but I don't think it will last if it's in the refrigerator - it's way to easy to just "take a little piece" until the whole thing is gone in two days!
kkwis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
GoofyMomInOhio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwis2 View Post
So one of my favorite holiday treats is the candy cane pie from Baker's Square. They only make at Christmas, so the window to enjoy it is very small. I don't live near a Baker's Square (at least 150 miles away), so I had to pick one up when we drove past a BS on Sunday.

Here's the question: Can I freeze it? Has anyone done this successfully? It has a creamy center with peppermint pieces in it and whipped cream on top? I would like to serve it on Christmas, but I don't think it will last if it's in the refrigerator - it's way to easy to just "take a little piece" until the whole thing is gone in two days!
I've froze this one before and had no problems, just make sure you wrap it good to protect it. Also, Market Day if available near you sells the same pie (frozen) every year.

ETA ~ It looks like Market Day is already sold out for this year.

Last edited by GoofyMomInOhio; 12-21-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add'l Info
GoofyMomInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
marciemi
Proud Redhead
I'm just going with what I said!
Guaranteed visible from the space shuttle!

Yes, several of the Bakers Square restaurants keep pies frozen for people who are picking them up or driving long distances after getting them. We're more than 4 hours from the nearest stores (all the ones in this area closed) so any time we're in Chicago or Minneapolis, we pick some up to bring home. We've found some use the coding "firetruck" instead of "freezer/frozen" because in general they don't like to advertise that they have frozen pies (people expect them freshly baked!). So we'll call ahead and ask for the manager and tell them we need some pies from the firetruck - an employee gave us that tip years ago and it still works. Obviously may vary by location, and if you do want to purchase them frozen, you'd want to talk to the manager discreetly, not broadcast it to the teen at the register. But I guess if you can buy them that way, they could certainly be frozen! Although I will say that we always buy the creme-type pies - oreo, french silk, caramel silk pecan, etc., so I'm not sure it this is the case for a basic apple or other fruit pie.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
kkwis2
DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks for the replies! The cashier told me that they don't recommend freezing them, but I didn't know why we shouldn't. Good to know that they probably come that way and that it should be fine.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Market Day near us (actually I've never heard of it), so I will have to just wait until Christmas each year! It's probably better that way anyway. I think part of what I like is that I can only have it at this time.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
cmlydia4
Earning My Ears

Aldi's also has their version of the Candy Cane pie and it is good.
cmlydia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
mickeymaker2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwis2 View Post
Great! Thanks for the replies! The cashier told me that they don't recommend freezing them, but I didn't know why we shouldn't. Good to know that they probably come that way and that it should be fine.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Market Day near us (actually I've never heard of it), so I will have to just wait until Christmas each year! It's probably better that way anyway. I think part of what I like is that I can only have it at this time.

Thanks!
Market Day is a fundraising company. Check with your local schools to see if they participate. It isn't a physical store.
mickeymaker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
kkwis2
DIS Veteran

Ohhhhh. Well, I haven't heard of it and I work in one school district and have kids in another, so I'm guessing they are not around here.

Unfortunately, we don't have an Aldi's either.

But, the pie is now frozen and I can't wait for Saturday so I can have some!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
nuke
Life is Good

That Candy Cane Pie is addicting! I'm picking up one on Thursday morning for dessert.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: