Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Oh man, I reserved 50's prime time for my trip in Sept. I think I will cancel it after reading your review. It is too bad the chef made you feel so bad.
It is not like we love bothering people with our food allergies/intolerances. If he thinks it is a hassle to prepare food for you, he should walk in your shoes for a day or two! What a jerk! Sorry but it gets me so mad.
We had the opposite service at 50s prime time. The chef was wonderful. I have 16 allergies and I got a wonderful salmon with roasted potatoes and asparagus. He was very accommodating.

On the other hand, we had horrendous service at Garden Grill and so many people sing high praise for allergy accomodations there. That was the one and only reaction I have ever had at Disney. It was cross contamination from something. Combine that with the fact that the food was terrible and we won't go back.

My point being.....bad experiences happen at basically all restaurants. It's based on a combination of personal expectations, the chef, and the allergens/available foods. So i would personally not let one review sway your decision either way but obviously, it's your choice with what you are comfortable with.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebon23 View Post
My DS and I have been going through similar trials and tribulations with our health. I have Celiac, Lactose intolerance, Fructose Malabsorption, SIBO(Small intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) 3 times, and now Yeast overgrowth in the intestines.

My DS has Fructose Malabsorption and recently had an abnormal cat scan showing possible Gastroparesis. He is doing gastric emptying study on Tues. We have been trying to figure out his issues for 5-6 years. THis poor kid has been through so many tests all saying normal. He is so thin and can't put on weight. He used to miss a lot of school for nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

It's interesting to find someone else who has had the same problems as you. So I can definitely relate with what you have had to go through. One Dr thought it was psychological and wanted him to go to therapy. He WANTS TO EAT AND TRIES TO EAT and just gets so full quickly and just doesn't feel well. And he cannot put on weight. Dr wanted to put him in hospital. I was like "My son is not Anorexic!!! Can't you just do more tests to help him!!!"

We have had to research to find all these problems. We have had to diagnose ourselves and beg DR's to do these tests!! I should be getting paid, not the Dr's ! LOL. He is going away to college in couple weeks so I'm hoping we have his issues at least under control a little before he goes. Even though I have been TRYING FOR YEARS!! I can't tell you how many gastro and GP dr's we have been through for him. It can all be so frustrating.

Sorry to rant and hijack your thread, just wanted you to know that you were not alone. There are a lot of us out there fighting to get through this and fix our health just like you. Luckily, you seem to have had some help with your doctors and it may just take time to get your system completely under control.

My situation is completely different than his and I can't stop GAINING WEIGHT, when not even eating hardly anything. Crazy right!! I also had to beg dr's to do tests and help me out. Had to research online, diagnose myself and then ask them to do the tests.

Good luck!! Can't wait to read the rest of your thread. I wanted to post first.
I'm so sorry that you are both going through all this. One thing that I have taken from this experience is that we really do need to be our own advocates and that it's OK to not agree with your doctor. I think that I've always seen the doctor as such an authority figure that it's been hard to not just go along with what s/he thinks is the problem. However, we do know our bodies better than any doctor and know when something just isn't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Oh man, I reserved 50's prime time for my trip in Sept. I think I will cancel it after reading your review. It is too bad the chef made you feel so bad.
It is not like we love bothering people with our food allergies/intolerances. If he thinks it is a hassle to prepare food for you, he should walk in your shoes for a day or two! What a jerk! Sorry but it gets me so mad.
It makes me mad, too. He really did make me feel bad. This is still somewhat new to me, and we hadn't eaten out much before Disney, so I was already stressed about the situation. His "table-side" manner did not help matters at all. However, I had other chefs who more than made up for this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
We had the opposite service at 50s prime time. The chef was wonderful. I have 16 allergies and I got a wonderful salmon with roasted potatoes and asparagus. He was very accommodating.

On the other hand, we had horrendous service at Garden Grill and so many people sing high praise for allergy accomodations there. That was the one and only reaction I have ever had at Disney. It was cross contamination from something. Combine that with the fact that the food was terrible and we won't go back.

My point being.....bad experiences happen at basically all restaurants. It's based on a combination of personal expectations, the chef, and the allergens/available foods. So i would personally not let one review sway your decision either way but obviously, it's your choice with what you are comfortable with.
I agree!

I don't think anyone should cancel a reservation based on one review. If we did that, DH and I would have NOWHERE to eat at WDW! I would do a search here on the boards and read multiple reviews, positive and negative, and then make a decision. There will always be people who love a place and people who abhor the same place. In fact, one of our favorite restaurants, Bongo's in DTD, is repeatedly trashed here on the boards. To each his or her own.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Wednesday, July 3, was an MK day. We planned it this way because the fireworks were going to be the same as on the 4th of July, and we knew that we did not want to be anywhere near MK on the 4th.

We had a lunch reservation at LTT, our first time there. It was not our last time there on this trip This is definitely one of our new favorites! It's like a little hidden gem at MK.

While we were waiting in the lobby to be seated, I noticed that there were three people with wristbands on. DH and I had both been reading up on magic bands, so being the curious one that I am, I started a conversation with them. They were 3 CMs who were beta testing the bands. Basically, they did a mock vacation with the bands. They checked into a resort, did FP+, had ADRs and all that fun stuff. They were very friendly, and it was pretty cool to learn about the bands from them. The one thing they all said was that you did notice the band on your wrist, particularly in the July heat.

We were seated relatively quickly and Chef JT came out within minutes of our server taking our drink orders. My order was fairly simple; all I wanted was a hamburger patty and sweet potato fries, both of which he was able to do safely for me. It is important to note for later on that I am NOT supposed to have fried foods, but I really wanted fries, and I love sweet potatoes.

Food was really good. I ate most of my burger, and even though I told myself that I would only indulge in a few fries, I may have eaten a few more than I should have because they were SO GOOD!

DH had the BLT, which isn't really a BLT. He loved this sandwich so much that we ended up making an ADR here for lunch again on our last day! We also have a lunch ADR here on our upcoming Christmas trip.

Meal: 8/10; it was just a burger and fries, but it was tasty
Interaction with chef: 8/10; nothing super special, but he was attentive and made good food.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

After lunch at LTT, we met up with a friend of mine from college who now lives in the area. We did a few rides and headed to Gaston's Tavern so that they could have a snack.

A picture of me and DH on Dumbo that my friend took. And, yes, we are wearing matching shirts. We are the Dork Squad, and that's how we roll at Disney.

DH really wanted to try Lefou's Brew at Gaston's Tavern. I knew that I wouldn't be able to drink a whole one, but I really wanted to try it, so I asked to see the binder. The toasted marshmallow and the foam were safe! I was so excited. Probably a little too excited. . .I had several large "sips" of DH's refreshing beverage. This comes back to bite me later on in the evening.

We hung out with my friend for a bit longer, but we eventually separated because we had reservations for the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party this night also. I was really excited for this because I have never had a good view of the fireworks in MK. I use a wheelchair in the parks, and it doesn't seem to matter how early we stake out a spot for the fireworks; inevitably, someone weasles their way in front of me and I see nothing.

Chef Kristy had contacted me by phone about this experience, and we played phone tag. I called her back and left her a message, she called me back and left me a message, I called her back and left another message, and then she called the day before and left another message asking if there was anything specific that I wanted. I called back and left yet another message stating that I liked sorbet, berries and chocolate so whatever she could do with that would be fine.

We were seated and a manager came over to review my allergies. She said that she would be back with my plate shortly. DH went up to the buffet and got a plate. He came back and ate. And I waited. And I waited. And I waited. The manager came back again and said my plate would be out soon. At this point, DH went back up for seconds and I still did not have my plate. It did come out while he was up at the buffet again.

I had a whole bunch of mixed berries, raspberry sorbet, spice cake, chocolate cake, Enjoy Life chocolate chip cookies and some gummy candies. Nothing special, but it wasn't bad. Except for the spice cake. That was just icky. It really had no flavor. However, I did like the icing on the spice cake. DH, being the genius that he is, suggested that I scrape the icing off the cake and make a sandwich with it and the chocolate chip cookies. Now that was tasty! I wasn't able to eat everything, so I have no idea if they offer any "refills" for folks with allergies.

There was another woman with allergies a few tables over from us who got the exact same plate. So, I'm not sure what the point of the chef contacting me was if there seems to be a standard allergy plate. Has anyone else with allergies done the dessert party? If so, what was your experience?

Interaction with chef: 5/10; a lot of phone tag and I'm not sure why we needed to talk.
Meal: 6/10; nothing spectacular but everything was ok except for the spice cake.

Given these somewhat mediocre ratings, I will say that we will do the dessert party again. I don't think it will become a tradition that we do every trip, but it was nice to not deal with the crowds and I was able to see the fireworks very well. We did go up to the fence about 20 minutes beforehand, and I was able to position my chair so that no one could stand in front of me unless they were straddling my chair (I wouldn't put it past someone in Disney to try. . .). Overall, DH and I both felt it was worth the money.

We waited for the crowds to clear a bit before leaving the Tomorrowland Terrace and heading out to catch our bus back to POP. On the bus back to the resort, I began to feel a little sick. Keep in mind that the only thing that I have an almost immediate reaction to is high fructose corn syrup (nausea within 30 minutes of consuming), so figuring out what made me sick at any given time involves reviewing everything I ate in the 48 hours prior to feeling ill, per my GI doctor.

Shortly after getting back to the room, I felt so incredibly nauseated. I began heaving. I ended up taking a Zofran (anti-nausea medicine) and getting a little bit of relief. After reflecting on what might have made me sick, we are pretty sure it was the Lefou's Brew. While the other ingredients were safe, stupid me did not think of the main ingredient: apple juice! Um, hello, high in FODMAPs. We are almost positive it was that or a combination of that and too many sweet potato fries at lunch.

I did not end up eating breakfast the next day because I still wasn't feeling that great. I was OK for lunch, though.

Last edited by geek+nerd; 08-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Great reviews so far. Glad to see the pic of your food at the dessert party. Thanks.

Sorry to hear you got sick. I was considering that LeFreou's(sp) brew also. But I think the apple juice would prob make me ill, also. It sounds so yummy, though!!

I hope you felt better the next day.
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
davebon23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: