Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
LiamandMaeve
Mouseketeer

Time Needed For Character Meals

Hello,

I'm trying to sketch out our to-do's for our upcoming Nov. trip. I'm not sure how much time to allot for character meals. We'll be having lunch at CP 11:55 on our first day, breakfast at CRT 9:25 the next day, dinner at Akershus at 5:05 later on our trip, and breakfast at CM at 7:40 on our last day. I'm sure some restaurants run differently, so looking for advice about those that tend to be on time, run late, and how long the overall dining experience is so I can tweak the list of attractions we can see.

Thanks as always,

Christine
LiamandMaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
dqpowell
DIS Veteran

In my experience, character breakfasts typically take around 50 minutes to an hour, including time with the characters. Character dinners take around an hour and a half, depending on various other factors. It is possible to get through these meals faster, but we tended not to rush through meals, especially when the kids were younger and wanted time with the characters.

HTH

David
dqpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
LiamandMaeve
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqpowell View Post
In my experience, character breakfasts typically take around 50 minutes to an hour, including time with the characters. Character dinners take around an hour and a half, depending on various other factors. It is possible to get through these meals faster, but we tended not to rush through meals, especially when the kids were younger and wanted time with the characters.

HTH

David
Thanks a bunch! Did you find that you were seated on time or did you have to wait at all?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
dqpowell
DIS Veteran

Early morning breakfasts, such as the character breakfast at Tusker House in AK, weren't too bad. Seated within 5 minutes of scheduled time.

It's hit or miss with lunches and dinners. We once checked in for a character dinner at Crystal Palace 15 minutes ahead of our scheduled ADR, but weren't seated until 15 minutes after the ADR time. On other occasions, we've checked in 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled ADR and were seated right away (i.e., earlier than the reserved time).

Unfortunately, it really depends on factors outside of your control. There is a higher likelihood that you'll be seated on time if you check in early, though.

David
dqpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
LiamandMaeve
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqpowell View Post
Early morning breakfasts, such as the character breakfast at Tusker House in AK, weren't too bad. Seated within 5 minutes of scheduled time.

It's hit or miss with lunches and dinners. We once checked in for a character dinner at Crystal Palace 15 minutes ahead of our scheduled ADR, but weren't seated until 15 minutes after the ADR time. On other occasions, we've checked in 15 minutes ahead of the scheduled ADR and were seated right away (i.e., earlier than the reserved time).

Unfortunately, it really depends on factors outside of your control. There is a higher likelihood that you'll be seated on time if you check in early, though.

David
Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I allow 90 mins for meals( usually you are done before then, but a few times we left the restaurant at the 90 min mark) But 90 mins allows time if you get seated late, the characters take awhile etc. I will say that during Free Dining periods , Adrs can take longer than usual so plan accordingly if Free Dining Promotion is going on during your trip
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We waited in the lobby of CRT 45 minutes before being seated. We've also gone when we were seated within minutes. To be honest, I now try to make all my ADR's at restaurant opening time. The waiting was really frustrating. It's really just hit and miss as to how far behind they are. There's no way to know in advance if there will be a wait or if you'll be whisked right in.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
mastermind307
Mouseketeer

Last week we ate dinner at Chef Mickey's. We had to stand in line to meet Mickey, but once we got seated, it didn't take very long. We were probably there about and hour after we were seated.
We had a 10:35 at Akershus and I believe we were seated around 10:40 and we were done by 11:30.
We had a adr for 1900 Park Fair at 5:10. We checked in at 4:50 and were seated at 5:00. We left around 6:00.
On our last day we had an 8:05 adr at Crystal Palace. We were seated at 8:10 and were finished before 9.
We were usually done eating around the time the last character came to our table. Some people may eat slower so it may take longer. Our daughter was so excited especially at the princess meal that she barely ate anything.
mastermind307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: