Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #46
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

fireman17 - I realize this is close to you (probably too close) but the comments that get under my skin were that they were "out in droves and force because she was one of their own" I certainly hope that that would be the case no matter if the child did not have a parent on the police force or in the fire dept.

sorry - I am reading on websleuths every day about missing (taken) children as well as adults - there are too many missing with not enough help and resources to get them back home.

This girl was one of the lucky ones. hopefully she will get the help she needs.
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
fireman17
"The funny thing about firemen is, night and day there's always firemen".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
fireman17 - I realize this is close to you (probably too close) but the comments that get under my skin were that they were "out in droves and force because she was one of their own" I certainly hope that that would be the case no matter if the child did not have a parent on the police force or in the fire dept.

sorry - I am reading on websleuths every day about missing (taken) children as well as adults - there are too many missing with not enough help and resources to get them back home.

This girl was one of the lucky ones. hopefully she will get the help she needs.
Yes, this one was close to home but I can say that each and every time a child goes missing our local departments are searching. This past winter we had a six year old boy go missing and within two hours of his parents reporting him missing we had 18 firefighters from our on duty shift plus mutual aid from three other departments the Connecticut State Police plus their helicopter and search dogs.
We starting our search and the child was located an hour after the search began at a neighbors house after the neighbor asked one of our guys what was going on and realized the child was with his son.
And, yes because this was the daughter of a firefighter we all turn out because we know it could be any one of us who's daughter is missing and we want to help. Sometimes it hard for people to understand our brotherhood.
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #48
TimeforMe
Remember who you are
It was great taking a nap everyday, wasn't it?
I for one enjoy getting dressed up on occasion

I have to agree with lillygator. Of course, I am very happy the girl was found safe and sound, but I live in CT, too, and I'm sure lots of kids go missing all the time. I can't remember it being so newsworthy as this. I don't think anyone is putting down or misunderstanding the "brotherhood" but rather why isn't the same amount of effort put into EVERY missing child? Kind of sad, really.
TimeforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #49
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman17 View Post
And, yes because this was the daughter of a firefighter we all turn out because we know it could be any one of us who's daughter is missing and we want to help. Sometimes it hard for people to understand our brotherhood.
wow...it could be ANY one of our children. hopefully that can be reiterated to the brotherhood.

I better just stick to the missing kids on Websleuths......
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #50
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
I realize you said you would want to but why even say that? That kind of comment always gets under my skin. I've been a firefighter for over 35 years I've seen the look of fear in a parents eyes when their children are hurt I've heard the screams from a mother when the doctors tell the parents their child is dead it's a scream you never forget.
No matter what reason Isabella had for running away her parents have her home and my fellow brother firefighter will be able to say goodnight and I love you to his daughter tonight.
It just strikes a nerve with me when we as parents say "boy, if it were my child I would want to give it to them". I would never in a million years even think about that if my daughter was missing for three days and found alive and well no matter what the reason it was for her to leave. That reason will be handled by her parents and only her parents.
For now I am so glad Isabella is safe!! Off my soapbox now...
Well, just about every other parent I have spoken to have all expressed the same sentiment. Not that they would beat their child, but that you could not help but to have some feelings of aggravation towards your child for making this stupid choice. For putting you through the worst fear of your life. For the sleepless nights and horrible nightmares and images. For the inconsideration and thoughtlessness of what she did.

The fact that your child is home and alive would overrule all other feelings, I'm sure, and I don't believe that any of us who expressed those feeling would ever carry through on it. The relief that they were alive and safe is all that you would probably feel at that moment.

ETA: I think part of it is that we are not on the inside. This is not our daughter, family member or even friend that has gone missing. It's easier for us to say that we would have feelings of being upset with our child for doing what she did because we aren't dealing with the raw emotion that her parents are dealing with.

If, God forbid, we were ever in her parents shoes, those thoughts may never cross our minds.

Last edited by Heidict; 03-23-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #51
Rora
I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn fruit-hating Ballerina
I just eat it. I bite into it.

Quote:
I realize you said you would want to but why even say that? That kind of comment always gets under my skin. I've been a firefighter for over 35 years I've seen the look of fear in a parents eyes when their children are hurt I've heard the screams from a mother when the doctors tell the parents their child is dead it's a scream you never forget.
No matter what reason Isabella had for running away her parents have her home and my fellow brother firefighter will be able to say goodnight and I love you to his daughter tonight.
It just strikes a nerve with me when we as parents say "boy, if it were my child I would want to give it to them". I would never in a million years even think about that if my daughter was missing for three days and found alive and well no matter what the reason it was for her to leave. That reason will be handled by her parents and only her parents.
For now I am so glad Isabella is safe!! Off my soapbox now...

I'm so so happy to hear she's been found and is safe!

Happy news for once in these horrible situations.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #52
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Well you can be mad at me to because believe me she would know what she put everyone thru! and she would be visiting or writing some letters of thanks to the police and fireman and what ever other organizations helped look for her. She is 13 or was it 12 either way she isn't 3 and knew what this would do to her parents and the community. There were other avenues she could have taken and she needs to be made aware of her poor choice.

I am glad she is OK but this was self inflicted and needs to be dealt with, it wasn't an accident. perhaps some community service to help repay the effort.
she isn't a blameless victim and needs to think about her actions so they aren't repeated and possibly the next time without the good ending.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #53
CJBaby
I was always taught it was shelter, clothing, INTERPRETIVE DANCER, and THEN food
I'm sorry, I would love to, but I suffer from chronic pinky-toe pain

Quote:
In my opinion as having a daughter what you are saying is the last thing I would want to do to my daughter no matter what she put me through. She's home and alive!! There are parents out there that still have no idea where their daughters are.
I'm so happy! I was thinking about her and her parents all day. Both of my kids are sick with the flu, and all I did was look at them and think how much I knew her parents would rather be in my shoes.

Also, I can see a 13 year old not having the sense to realize what a horrible decison they are making. This is exactly what I was praying was the case and probably exactly what her parents were praying had happened. Thank God she's ok. I'm going to say a prayer for all the kids and parents that are not so lucky.
CJBaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: