Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Best Way to Practice Height Check?

DS4 is 43.875" (with shoes). There's a VERY good chance he'll make the magic 44" by the time of our trip in 2 months.

But, it'll be close enough that he'll need an "accuate" measure. Any ideas on buying/making a measuring stick like they use at WDW? How have you gotten your 44" kids to practice standing straight?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

I measured it and put it on the wall in her toy room. At certain points we put pictures of the rides she would be able to ride.

Last trip she was just over 38" so she's about hit 40" and she sees what she will be able to ride.

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Anything can work, really. Two dowel rods duct-taped together at a 90' angle, etc.

Just reinforce that you WANT their head to tap it- many kids will try to duck under it.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessArlena'sDad View Post
DS4 is 43.875" (with shoes). There's a VERY good chance he'll make the magic 44" by the time of our trip in 2 months.

But, it'll be close enough that he'll need an "accuate" measure. Any ideas on buying/making a measuring stick like they use at WDW? How have you gotten your 44" kids to practice standing straight?

Thanks!
A good plan is to explain to the child that SOMETIMES, even if you might measure just a bit
taller than the stated height at home (even with an accurate "stick,")
you might not get OK'd by the CM's.

There are TWO check-points per attraction.

One at the entrance of the queue,
the other at the boarding area.

There are times when you can get OK'd by the first one and denied by the second CM
(even after waiting through the long queue line.)

Better to be prepared for that to happen and have it NOT happen,
than the other way around.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
bdklein
DIS Veteran

I don't get this. The only accurate measurement is what the CM says at Disney.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Absolutely, positively correct.
That's just the way it is.

And, that's why I gave you the info... as a "be prepared" situation.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
True but kids can practice by making sure that they have their feet/heels all the way back against the wall, stand straight with head forward. Also let them know the CMs are there to help and to follow their directions when being measured.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
True but kids can practice by making sure that they have their feet/heels all the way back against the wall, stand straight with head forward. Also let them know the CMs are there to help and to follow their directions when being measured.

Liz
Good point. My concern is that the family jumps up and down for joy at home that little Johnny is now tall enough for certain rides. Then they go to WDW and some CM says no, and little Johnny is now in tears (with someone in the family chastising the CM and/or yellng at little Johnny to stand up straight or go on ther tippy-toes).
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

I learned during a trip to Hershey Park 2 years ago, that if you inhale a deep breath and hold it, you stand as straight as possible. The lady at the ride told my DS to do this and it made him just tall enough to ride. I tried it myself and it's true- I didn't realize how much I slouched until I did this.

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The biggest thing to do with a child so close is to talk to them, to make sure they understand they might not get on all the rides they want to ride, and they might get on once then not get on after. The very rides they want to ride might cause them to not ride the next time, because spines get compressed by forces of rides and gravity.

If there's a big important ride, try for it the very first thing in the morning. Make sure the child has adequate rest and is fully hydrated. Our spines spend our sleeping time putting fluid back into the intervertebral discs; that fluid is slowly squeezed out a bit as the day goes on and forces act upon us. Hydration obviously helps with that.

The child wants to hit their head; having had a child shy away from that and not get onto a ride (the CM was also pushing down on his shoulder, sigh), I state firmly that if I child cannot follow directions to stand straight and tall and be OK with a bump like that, the child isn't mature enough to go on the ride. So be glad IF they shy away from it, because if they can't follow that direction, what on earth might they do during a ride stop? Although it was frustrating for us at the time when DS was not allowed on the ride (Star Tours out at Disneyland) it was ultimately a fabulous learning lesson for him, and to this day he never takes a ride for granted, and will measure for the silliest things, like for Big Thunder, when he knows perfectly well he's tall enough for everything at Disney and even at Universal.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Wear winter boots (haha) ; )

Seriously though, has Disney ever used height wristbands? We live with biking distance of Kings Island where there are measurement stations, and they band you. This makes things a LOT easier than wondering if the measurement stick/employee will be different ride to ride. And they DO vary.

You think the height restrictions are tough at WDW, it is WAY more conservative here. My DS7 has always been tall (and ridden all thrill rides willingly)...and sadly his daredevil 3 yo brother is vertically challenged. He is already talking about riding the big roller coasters...and will most likely be doing so for the next 6 years ; ) We may have to move.

As Robo and others have posted, the best thing to do is prepare your child for a No and if they don't handle it well, avoid any close-ish rides.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
has Disney ever used height wristbands?
They tested them.
They were not reliable.

Without a final measurement at boarding,
there's no way to tell if the band has been slipped off of a taller child and pushed
onto the wrist of a too-short child.

Since the final measurement was also required, there was no point in
doing the "as you enter the park" measurement and wristband.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
A good plan is to explain to the child that SOMETIMES, even if you might measure just a bit
taller than the stated height at home (even with an accurate "stick,")
you might not get OK'd by the CM's.

There are TWO check-points per attraction.

One at the entrance of the queue,
the other at the boarding area.

There are times when you can get OK'd by the first one and denied by the second CM
(even after waiting through the long queue line.)

Better to be prepared for that to happen and have it NOT happen,
than the other way around.

We always prepare the kids the way Robo stated above. Setting expectations -- always a good thing.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Jfsag123
Mouseketeer

I got this from the "tips from a CM" thread. This tip was in there and I jotted it down for myself because DS was going to be close to the height cut-off for some rides:

If your child is tall enough for a ride, but tends to hunch under the measuring bar (kids are afraid of hitting their head, this is pretty common) tell them to hold their hands behind their back and take a deep breath. Most kids will stand up straight when they do this and can then be accurately measured.
Jfsag123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: