Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Harmony Barber Shop or BB Boutique for 4yr old DD birthday?

We just booked a week in Disney. The 3rd day we are there will be my DD's 4th birthday. She loves Cinderella and dress up but I feel like she may be on the young side for BBB. I am not a fan of makeup on a 4yr old, especially in mid August.

She has never truly had a haircut. She has fine slow growing curly hair. I have snipped dead ends and that is it. I am leaning towards going to Harmony and getting a 1st Haircut and maybe something a little girly for her birthday. Hoping to get breakfast in the castle that morning. We book 180's out in 2 weeks.

So my questions are:

1. Is BBB really worth it for a 4yr old? She already has a lightweight Cinderella dress we will bring. I feel like it isn't but my other daughter is a tomboy so this is all new for us. We will be there mid August. I am nervous she will want "everything" in the store.

2. Does Harmony do a first haircut and something a little special for additional cost?

3. What is the earliest reservation I can get and how far out can I book? They open at 9am so I hope I can get one then. Has anyone done a "cut and style" and then went to CRT breakfast at say, 10am? Just don't want to cut it too close.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Agent P
He's a Platypus, they don't do much

I am curious too. Have a 4 yo who would just want some color and style not a cut ( she wants the Rapunzel hair length). Have a cut scheduled for my son and I, was wondering if I should add my dd
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
lyra2007
Mouseketeer

I can only speak to the first part. I think BBB is creepy, and I think the girls who come out of there look pageanty, which is not a compliment in my world. I don't like makeup on my DD, who is 4 (almost 5). And in August? I wouldn't even wear makeup in Orlando in August! Nor would DD stand for her hair being pulled back that tight. And OMG it is expensive. I am not cheap; we're spending a lot of $$$ on meals and other experiences, but I can't wrap my head around BBB.

So I would do the barbershop. It's cheaper, and they are actually licensed to cut hair. Any more than that, I don't know. But if you have a deadline, book it and you can cancel later.
lyra2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
ktlm
DIS Veteran

While, I am not a big fan of the BBB "look", I will tell you that a 4 year old is the absolute perfect age for it. Based on our experience (which involves letting DD do it at age 4, 5, and 6), the perfect ages for it are 3 to 6 (with 4 and 5 probably being the absolute best), and after that I think they have almost aged out of it. Some older girls still do it, but a lot of girls are done with princesses and princess dress up beyond 6. BBB is expensive, so it depends on whether you can afford it and want to spend the money it it. Your DD would probably love it.

We had been to WDW when DD was 2 and 3, and I didn't like the BBB looks and she actually said she didn't like them either, so imagine my surprise when as I was talking about making ADRs for our trip when she was 4, when she started asking if she could please, please, please, do the BBB. I will say that she is a huge Cinderella fan so getting her hair and nails done at Cinderella's castle was a big deal for her. I will also say that they make a HUGE fuss over the little girls there, and make them feel special. They talk to the girls, not their parents. It is all about your child. They pamper them like crazy and take pictures along the way. DD only gets to wear make-up at home when it is required for a dance recital or play, so actually getting to put some on and wear it in the parks was a big deal. She also loved having her nails done, as we don't do those much at home either. She absolutely loved the attention she got there. She also loved the attention she got from the CMS and characters around the parks after getting all dolled up at the BBB. As far as the hairstyles, be aware that while that bun is the most "little girl" looking, it can be tight. DD is sensitive when it comes to her hair and head, and we did the bun at age 3, and she was begging me to get her hair down within a couple of hours claiming it was really hurting. It was surprisingly easy to get down and comb through with as much gunk as they put in their hair. The other 2 years she has done the "diva" style because she loves them turning her into a redhead (this past trip she was Ariel for the first time, so at least it fit the character this time). She leaves that style in all day and it doesn't bother her at all. Personally, I think it looks kind of silly, but she loves it.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
DCbride
DIS Veteran

I love the barber shop! DD5 gets her hair cut and pixie dusted for $20. She does not like her hair "pulled" when brushed so I know she would hate having the tight bun. The whole cut usually lasts 15 minutes which is perfect amount of time for a preschooler. The kids get stickers, glitter and of course for their first cut special ears.

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop/Omni, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

I just did a more thorough search and found this. It has pics of girls at Harmony. DEFINITELY doing this!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44130855
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: