Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
PixieDustandEeyore
DIS Veteran

Fantasmic Package and Hollywood and Vine

I rarely read happy reviews of Hollywood and Vine. I do see the odd good one for breakfast but for dinner the reviews are often abysmal. At 180 + 10 I booked my dining reservations and for the time I'm there September 19th - 30th there is i believe 2 nights fantasmic is on maybe 3 (I know there is one the 30th but we leave at dinner time).

Anyways for both those days Brown Derby and Hollywood and vine were all that was available. Being on the regular plan I decided Hollywood and Vine for our fantasmic package as all the other ADR's were set in stone except for the fantasmic package day.

Im not enthused to go to Hollywood and Vine, so I have a question for you all. Should we cancel Hollywood and Vine and just wait in line for Fantasmic or is the fantasmic package worth it even at Hollywood and Vine. I heard that you line up with everyone else now but have a guaranteed seat and that doesn't sound so spectacular. I'd rather just wait in line and try to get reservations elsewhere (Right now we have an extra ADR so the credit could go to that)

So what do you think keep Hollywood and Vine fantasmic package or use the credit elsewhere?

I call once a week to see if Mama Melrose has become available to no avail (thats what we really wanted!)
PixieDustandEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum
Or was that Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum? I think my name is plenty long enough!

H&V fantasmic package is a tradition for our group of 3. DS is a picky eater so buffets ususally work before for us. I would not rate it as the best meal I've ever eaten - it is a buffet afterall - but I've always felt it was raked over the coals a little unjustly on these boards. There are always at least 2 meats available, many side choices, salads, shrimp, bread, kids choices & desserts. I have never left the restaurant thinking, "oh that was disgusting, more like, that was fine, not great but fine."

Plus we really like having the pass into fantasmic. I noticed they moved the entrance away from Oscar's but it still looks like it is a separate entrance, is it not? We haven't been in 2 years.

POFQ 2001 ASMovies 2003 CSR 2003 CBR 2004 with Hurricane Francis!
Swan 2005 ASsports 2008 ASMusic 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2531836
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
PixieDustandEeyore
DIS Veteran

I'm glad its a good family tradition for you. I dont know if the entrance has moved Im curious
Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
lumpy08
Mouseketeer

We did the H&V with Fantasmic package two years ago. I was really hesitant where I read such bad reviews. I was the one booking all the ADRs so I was very nervous about this one. Not one person complained. It is a buffet and there was plenty to choose from. I thought it was well worth it to get into Fantasmic as well.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I ate at Hollywood and Vine for the first time last year. I was almost scared to try it, knowing how it gets horrible reviews, but it honestly wasn't bad at all. Maybe I lucked out, and got there on a rare good day, but I thought the food was pretty good. Desserts could use some work, but I did enjoy quite a few things from the buffet.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum
Or was that Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum? I think my name is plenty long enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDustandEeyore View Post
Im not enthused to go to Hollywood and Vine, so I have a question for you all. Should we cancel Hollywood and Vine and just wait in line for Fantasmic or is the fantasmic package worth it even at Hollywood and Vine. I heard that you line up with everyone else now but have a guaranteed seat and that doesn't sound so spectacular. I'd rather just wait in line and try to get reservations elsewhere (Right now we have an extra ADR so the credit could go to that)

So what do you think keep Hollywood and Vine fantasmic package or use the credit elsewhere?

I call once a week to see if Mama Melrose has become available to no avail (thats what we really wanted!)
I would keep the H&V ressie & keep trying for MM if that's where your heart lies. You have 48 hrs before your ADR to cancel & not be charged. Again, I don't think H&V is that bad, as mentioned we go every trip and it's always been fine. I really like having the fantasmic voucher, that's the main reason we always go.

Anybody know about the entrance to fanstamic for dining patrons? It used to be at Oscar's - is it still a separate entrance?

POFQ 2001 ASMovies 2003 CSR 2003 CBR 2004 with Hurricane Francis!
Swan 2005 ASsports 2008 ASMusic 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2531836
TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
tinkarooni
Gets way too excited about saving money!
I am so lucky that my brain is programmed differerently

We did the HV Fantasmic package a few years ago and honestly it was pretty bad. The buffet was kind of messy and the food was so so at best. It just had an overall unkempt appearance. Which really surpised me because we love 50s Prime Time which is right next door and attached to them. We were considering the Fantasmic package again and were lucky enough to book The Brown Derby instead, I'm scared to waste the meal again this time.

Currently saving for our next trip....when? When we have the cash. Welcome to the Budget Board

---Happy to be here!
tinkarooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Flipper
Mouseketeer

We did H&V Fantasmic package a month ago. There was still a separate entrance for the package. Not sure if that has changed in the last month???? The food was so so and the atmosphere was not so great, but when we got to Fantasmic the entire place was full and we still were able to get a great seat about 40 minutes before the show. So in my opinion totally worth it, especially with a 4 and 7 year old!
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
PixieDustandEeyore
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! Ill keep it and cancel if we arent feeling it 48 hours in advance
Old 06-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkarooni View Post
We did the HV Fantasmic package a few years ago and honestly it was pretty bad. The buffet was kind of messy and the food was so so at best. It just had an overall unkempt appearance. Which really surpised me because we love 50s Prime Time which is right next door and attached to them. We were considering the Fantasmic package again and were lucky enough to book The Brown Derby instead, I'm scared to waste the meal again this time.
ITA! We ate there last Sept. for dinner, and it was by far the worst food I've had at WDW. Having said that, we are using a credit there again this Sept. for the Fantasmic! package. During our week, it's only showing twice, and the line we had to stand in last time was so long/crowded/smelly ect. Once I heard they had the seperate entrance again, we decided to do the package, but the only thing left was Hollywood and Vine. Honestly, we're planning on going in at our ADR time, asking for our receipt as soon as we get in and maybe try a few things, with the full expectation that we'll leave and go pay OOP for something to eat. I figure we'll all just have a few snacks that night and paying OOP for those is worth the not having to wait in the huge line for Fantasmic! for us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: