Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
spanielmom
Earning My Ears

renting a stroller at park vs. from an offsite company

When we went to Disney last year, we rented a large double stroller at the park, which was expensive but also very convenient because both our sons could sit on it at the same time. They were 7 and 4 but even the 7 year old appreciated using it occasionally. Are there any discounts for renting a stroller through WDW for more than one day?

I have checked out some of the stroller rental companies (magic strollers, orlando stroller company) and the strollers look like they don't hold as much weight. Also, the downside of renting from one of the companies is that we'd have to lug the stroller to and from the parks, which might make getting on and off the buses difficult.
Any advice would be appreciated.
spanielmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

You can get a dicount for renting a lenght of stay stroller from WDW, it's a few $ off but still more than most off site rentals. You pay your first day for all of your days (at the discount) and then show your receipt everytime you enter a park and they give you your stroller witout paying again.

Those ones from the rental sites look wimpy but they have pretty big weight limits, email them they can tell yo uwaht they are. I remember looking into them for both our kids for last trip although DD was over the normal age and a little on the hefty side both my kids would have slid in well under the limit for a double.

We took an umbrella stroller w/ DS the last year he needed on. Almost all airlines will allow you to gate check for free and it was easy to deal with. Not huge, folded up easily and came in handy. Only issue is if your kid is 7 and unless really under weight he will be over the weight limits for safety reason on your typical cheapo unbrellas.

BTW this year we are STROLLER FREE!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry had to gloat.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

I fell in love with our stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals. I think the weight limit on them is 150 pounds, so unless you have very large children, or bring a ton of heavy stuff into the parks, you should be fine. I loved that stroller so much I would have bought my own for at home if we weren't past the need for a double stroller outside of Disney. The Citiminis that OSR uses fold up easily and compactly--you just pull on a handle and it collapses. It wasn't an issue for us at all. And even though it's a side by side, it's very compact and fits through doorways with plenty of clearance. It's the perfect park stroller, IMO.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Taja
DIS Veteran

For me, the primary advantage of renting a stroller offsite vs. at the parks would be the ability to wheel the exhausted/sleeping little ones to transportation without having to carry them!

If you have enough adults who are accustomed to carrying the little ones, that isn't an issue.
Taja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Chubbylita
Earning My Ears

We prefer renting strollers offsite because it is not limited to only just WDW use but we can use it even when shopping, going to and from our hotel rooms and everywhere.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

We just got back this past Saturday (Feb 11th) and rented a City Mini for my 3 y/o GS from Kingdom Strollers. They were the cheapest we found and my GS loved the stroller. We highly recommend them. The stroller was sturdy, clean, folded easily, and came with a rain cover, and a parent tray. Our last name is very common, so instead of our last name, they put 'Levi's Buggy' on the name tag. It made it very easy to find in the sea of strollers.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Hootch
DIS Veteran

When we

did this last summer we only had to pay for two days at a time to get the multi day discount.

Our daughter sometimes has leg pains at night so we knew we may need to rent a stroller. I looked at a couple of offsite companies. They all seem to quote in date ranges, e.g. 5-7 days will be the same price. Our needs fell at the lower end of the range and the price between Disney and offsite was minimal if any at all. We were also uncertain how often we would use them making an upfront commit a deterrent.

We ended up renting a stroller each day in the parks. The benefits we saw for a Disney stroller were:

1) No complaints from our daughter about leg pains at night - very important
2) As PP mentioned above having a stroller to get kids to the transportation and to the room when they are tired. Our daughter is a bit older so this wasn't a need for us and not having the stroller on the bus was nice. On a couple of days we hopped through three parks and just left the stroller as we walked out and picked up a new one at the next park.
3) The ability to get the discount without a commit since we didn't know how often we would use a stroller.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

The weight limit on the double strollers off site are 50 lb per seat. With the ages of your kids (8 & 5 right?) I'd just rent as needed from Disney. I doubt you'll need a stroller every day. I wouldn't want to pay $100+and then not even use it.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
lync
Mouseketeer

There are pros and cons to each....

We always rented a double stroller from Disney until this year. I now have a maclauren single stroller that folds up small so it's not very cumbersome so we took our Maclauren and rented a single stroller. We brought our own double stroller ONCE! It was such a pain to fold up and hold on the bus! We now drive to the parks BUT we still have to getting the trams. I HATED loaded up a big stroller! It was nice to have a stroller to roll out of the parks this time, though.

If you plan on using bus transportation, I would definitely rent from Disney.
lync is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: