Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

sofa beds at beach club villas

How comfty are the sofa beds?? In the past at non Disney hotels we have had some pretty bad experiences where you can actually feel the springs. I wanted to try to get some feedback on these before I booked.

Thanks so much!
glovergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I didn't sleep on it myself but they don't have springs or the typical bar in the middle. They are a newer style.
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
CathieArms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovergirls View Post
How comfty are the sofa beds?? In the past at non Disney hotels we have had some pretty bad experiences where you can actually feel the springs. I wanted to try to get some feedback on these before I booked.

Thanks so much!
Just asked my dd who tends to be the one who ends up on sofa beds at hotel...and hates it. She said they were pretty comfortable; way more comfortable than the ones in normal hotel rooms.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the feedback. We're thinking about making a quick trip for the princess 1/2 marathon and I am trying to decide between a regular room or a villa.

If you don't mind me asking how old is your daughter? My oldest daughter seems to be ultra picky
Old 12-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

As two adults sleeping on the BCV sofa bed in a one-bedroom, we were miserable. The mattress was very lumpy. We requested a new one and that helped a little. We were so uncomfortable we checked out early (we were on a room only reservation so it was easy to do). We went back to Portofino Bay Hotel where we all had decent beds.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

We changed a reservation at WL Villa in part because we were worried about how comfy the couch would be too! I am interested to see if anyone else responds that thought it was confortable. I was assured by the CM that they were but I would think they are biased.

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Wilderness Lodge 12/25 - 12/26, Grand Floridian CL 12/26 - 1/5/2015

Mike&AllisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

My son, 29 and 6'1", has slept on one and says they are okay. He would not go so far to say comfortable.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
glovergirls
Mouseketeer

Hmmm I wonder if we just do a regular room then. I kind of thought the space of having the villa would be nice but if the sofa beds are questionable it makes me nervous. I was actually thinking if we did the villa we would put the kids in the bedroom and we would take the living room so we could hang out. That way it would be easier for them to sleep in. Plus from looking at the map the Beach Club Villas look like they are the furthest from SAB. So that's two strikes. If we pay for a one bedroom villa and the sofabed is miserable I will never here the end of it from my husband because they are so expensive.

I think I may just bite the dust and put everyone in a regular room.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovergirls View Post
Hmmm I wonder if we just do a regular room then. I kind of thought the space of having the villa would be nice but if the sofa beds are questionable it makes me nervous. I was actually thinking if we did the villa we would put the kids in the bedroom and we would take the living room so we could hang out. That way it would be easier for them to sleep in. Plus from looking at the map the Beach Club Villas look like they are the furthest from SAB. So that's two strikes. If we pay for a one bedroom villa and the sofabed is miserable I will never here the end of it from my husband because they are so expensive.

I think I may just bite the dust and put everyone in a regular room.
I'd reconsider that. First of all, I thought the sofa bed was quite comfortable when I tried it, and my MIL slept on it for days and said she wished the one she has in her home was as comfortable! Also, BCV isn't necessarily any farther from SAB than some BC rooms - we were in a room once that I swear made us feel like we had to walk forever to get anywhere, except out the "side door" which let us get to Epcot faster.

I'd also reconsider having the kids sleep in the master bedroom. But that's just me.

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

glovergirls -- we had the same idea you have -- that is, put the kids in the bedroom and we'll take the living room. We put our 14 year old twins in the bedroom and kept the kitchen, living area for ourselves. That way, we could get up, get coffee, set up our laptops and work, perhaps do a load of wash and enjoy the balcony (all while the teens slept late). Many on these boards told us that was our first mistake -- that the king bed is for the parents. Yeah, but the set up wasn't practical for teens who sleep in and parents who rise early to get coffee and get their work done.

So, it didn't work out very well for us at BCVs and here is why--

1. The sofa bed was miserable. The mattress is very thin and lumpy. The new one was slightly better. Both adults roll toward the middle because there is, of course, very little support for the mattress. There may not be a bar across the middle of the bed, but there are bars on the sides that one has to hoist oneself over in order to get out of the bed. The last morning I did that, I thought to myself, "Thanks heavens, that is the last time I have to lift myself over that miserable bar in order to get up."

2. The bathrooom in a one-bedroom villa at BCV is considerably smaller than the one in BWVs. As such, the part of the bathroom that isn't connected to the bedroom (and therefore usable while the kids slept) was so tiny there was no where to put our toiletries and my cosmetics. There is a small "closet" with the toilet and we ended up putting one of the chairs in there so we could have a place to put our toiletries. The only other option was the floor.

3. We found the BCV to be significantly smaller and less comfortable than similar one bedrooms at other DVC properties. I hasten to add, however, we had never stayed in a one-bedroom with 4 people before (only two people when dh and I took adult trips).

Ultimately, we were disappointed in the BCV one bedroom and we would not stay there again, unless it is in a two bedroom.

We prefer club level rooms. There are two decent queen size beds, plus the daybed, which one twin can use now that they don't like sleeping together. We can get up, throw on clothes and go to the lounge with our laptops and have breakfast and work. The kids can sleep undisturbed.

The one thing we didn't mind was the location. It was not that much further from SAB than other BC rooms. And, we were fairly close to the parking lot. With a car, that was nice. BCVs are also very close to Epcot and the Boardwalk, which we liked.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I have bad back problems and I found the BCV sofa bed comfortable...I stay in a 1 bdr though
Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
disneydonaldduck
Earning My Ears

They redesigned them so they are way more comfortable. The ones at WL in the 90s were awful!
disneydonaldduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
JLR
DIS Veteran

My 9 yo said the sofa was OK but would like to sleep in a real bed next time. If your daughter is ultra picky - you might be better off in a real room with 2 beds.

Now - the walk to SAB - it is MUCH shorter if you go outside through the parking lot and across the lobby instead of through the hotel. I wish I had known that early on.
JLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

My 16 y.o sister slept on the sofa bed in a 1 bedroom at Kidani and she said it was plenty comfortable and she slept good on it.
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: