Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
RolyPoly
Earning My Ears

Buena vista palace or Royal Plaza?

Hello!

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip for next June and cant decide between the 2. We plan to spend our 2 weeks at Disney and i've heard both hotels are in walking distance to downtown disney, which is ideal for us.

We're just hoping for some advice on which option may be best to us. The small extra cost to stay at the Buena vista palace doesnt worry us at all, I dont mind paying extra if we get a nice, clean and friendly hotel. We've done a little research and we like the look of the Buena vista palace, it has that little upscale look about it, which obviously appeals to us. After spending a few days at the parks, there would be nothing better for me than to spend a few days at the pool relaxing in a nice environment.

We've also looked at the Royal plaza, which looks lovely and seems to have everything we need, however having looked at some review sites, it seems to have put us off a little.

Another question I cant seem to find an answer for is, does Buena Vista palace have a resort fee? I know the Royal plaza does.

Anyway, we'd really appreciate anyones advice, we're both very open minded, and we really dont expect the "perfect" hotel, but just the best option.

Thnkyou once again.
RolyPoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
avsfan
WDW veteran

I've never stayed at Royal Plaza, but I've heard it is starting to show some wear and tear. I can tell you that you could walk to DTD from Royal Plaza, but it is quite a bit of a longer walk than from the Buena Vista Palace.

I have stayed at BVP, back when it was operated by Wyndham. A great hotel, in my opinion. Stayed there 3 different times and was very pleased every time. Great location if you are going to walk to DTD. The only one's that are closer would be the Hilton, and possibly the Regal Sun but that's a tossup. I would certainly do BVP again. Depending on room location, you may have a great view of DTD from your room, and even possibly be able to see some fireworks from Disney. I can tell you that the 3 times we stayed there were all on bids through Priceline. I see that Royal Plaza is also a possible hotel through PL.
avsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
lovebuzz
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Royal Plaza in september. We stayed in one of the tower rooms and it wa really nice. We are kind of hotel snobs, and the beds were so comfortable. we did not use the pool, it looks very basic and plain, but if you are looking for a nice hotel within walking distance to DTD with free shutle service to the parks and do not care about a fancy pool then, this is the place for you.
lovebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
happymommy
DIS Veteran

If you want a nice resort with a relaxing pool, have you also considered the Swan and Dolphin? Their pool is so wonderful, and they are right next to the Boardwalk. You can walk to DHS (it's a bit of a walk, or take the boats) and Epcot (easy walk), plus the Yacht and Beach Club and Boardwalk are all there for dining and entertainment. Their rates are usually really great.

Just a suggestion!

I did stay one night at the Royal Plaza prior to moving over to the Swan once - it was just okay but the pool was ICKY!!!! Plus, it was a busy time, but the bar wasn't open at the pool. I was hoping to get a snack and drink out there, but they had nothing open. Definitely not upscale - fine for my kids to splash and swim but I didn't have a relaxing time watching them (no lifeguards either). So, in general, I think that for the price, you can do better than the Royal Plaza for your trip. I've gotten the Swan and Dolphin for under $130 or so in the past, so I do recommend them (they do have a $10 resort fee, but you get some water and I think internet for that). The rooms are nice and the location is really awesome.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Kae
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both I would chose BVP. We enjoyed our stay at BVP more & found the staff way nicer. We also liked the location better.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote