Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

POR Rooms & size of resort

What is the theming of the preferred rooms? Are they alligator bayou theme or the mansion? From what it appears on a map, they are in the alligator section and the mansion areas are in the back--is this correct?

Are the royal guest rooms close to the main lobby?

My concern about this resort is the vast size. We've stayed at Pop twice but don't like how big it is, and on our second stay paid to get a preferred room. Is POR as big as POP, bigger? Also, do the buses make multiple stops?

We've stayed at POFQ and loved it. We loved the quaint, cozy feel of the resort. On our last trip we stayed at AKL and loved it even more. With the 2014 price increases, which I think are very steep, we may look to a mod again for our next trip. Considering POR instead of POFQ since the pool and slide area may appeal to may kids more now that they're a little older.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

All of the preferred rooms are Alligator Bayou. One of the RR buildings is close to the main building, across the river. The other one, Parterre Place is farther away.

I can't say for sure, but I think POR is bigger than Pop. And yes, it does have multiple bus stops.

I am also a fan of POFQ (both for its theming and for its size). Remember that if you stay there, you are also allowed to use the pool at POR.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
nightsky
Earning My Ears

We love this resort. We've stayed there twice and both times we paid for the preferred rooms so we could be close to the main buildings.
nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

Royal rooms are in Parterre and Oak Manor. We were in Parterre in a river view room. They're somewhat close to the main building, but it's still a hike to get anywhere, especially to get to the main pool.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Headed4Fun
Mouseketeer

As a fellow POFQ lover and having stayed at both POR and POFQ last year, I can tell you that while we enjoyed both of our stays, we enjoyed our stay MUCH more at POFQ.
POR Royal Rooms were beautiful, but we loved the smaller size of POFQ. POR was just too big for us.

To answer your questions, Yes, there are multiple bus stops at POR - 4 in all. And, if you stay in the Royal Rooms, none of the bus stops are really convenient to those rooms. We tried different stops and had to trek all over to get to the bus stops. The Royal Rooms aren't terribly far from the main lobby but if you've enjoyed the close proximity of the buildings at POFQ, you may be disappointed with a Royal Room location.

We are booked again for POFQ - I told my husband after our stay at POR last time that even if they offered me a 50% discount on POR and nothing on POFQ, I'd still choose POFQ. We love it there!
Headed4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We hated the enormous size of Pop, so I have a feeling that I would be disappointed in the size of POR as well. After touring early in the morning and hitting it hard all day with kids, I just want to be able to get to my room without feeling like I'm walking forever and a day. I thought about the preferred rooms as an option, but now that I know they're the Alligator Bayou I'm not interested. The theming doesn't appeal to me at all, and I don't know that the royal rooms are worth the added expense.

Just the few comments I've read makes me sure we'd still be happier at POFQ--both in theming and size. My girls would still like the pool slide at POFQ, even though many say there kids didn't like it as they got older. My girls easy to please and would just be glad to have a slide to go on. We may go over to POR a couple of times to use that one.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback. We hated the enormous size of Pop, so I have a feeling that I would be disappointed in the size of POR as well. After touring early in the morning and hitting it hard all day with kids, I just want to be able to get to my room without feeling like I'm walking forever and a day. I thought about the preferred rooms as an option, but now that I know they're the Alligator Bayou I'm not interested. The theming doesn't appeal to me at all, and I don't know that the royal rooms are worth the added expense.

Just the few comments I've read makes me sure we'd still be happier at POFQ--both in theming and size. My girls would still like the pool slide at POFQ, even though many say there kids didn't like it as they got older. My girls easy to please and would just be glad to have a slide to go on. We may go over to POR a couple of times to use that one.

Thanks everyone!
If having the room close to the food court, main building and parking lots is important, then POFQ is your resort. We LOVE it there and have been back many time. The theming is awesome. We are heading to POR next month because we are doing a royal room for DD10. If they had royal rooms at POFQ we would be going back.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
If having the room close to the food court, main building and parking lots is important, then POFQ is your resort. We LOVE it there and have been back many time. The theming is awesome. We are heading to POR next month because we are doing a royal room for DD10. If they had royal rooms at POFQ we would be going back.
It's not a must, but it is top on our list. If the theming or location of the resort to the parks outweighed a long trek to our room and multiple bus stops, we would consider it but we don't feel like POR does. The overall theme doesn't thrill me at POR. I think we need to stick with POFQ or hope for a really good deal at AKL since POFQ has repeatedly only been offered a 5% discount.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: