Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Momma2PrinceNPrinces
DIS Veteran

Is late June a really bad time to go?

DH gets to go to Orlando for a convention/training the week of June 23. His work will pay for lodging, partial gas to drive (whatever a RT flight cost would equal) and all his food. So we've discussed the kids and I coming with (oh and bringing my mom to help!). All in all it would be a pretty cheap trip and why not take advantage?! Then I look at the weather, and the crowd predictions....now I'm scared! So tell me, how bad is it REALLY?

WDW '81, '90, '98,'02, '06 (US day trip after Carnival Cruise),'11 ,'13, '14, MAYBE '15 (US/IOA)
Momma2PrinceNPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2PrinceNPrinces View Post
DH gets to go to Orlando for a convention/training the week of June 23. His work will pay for lodging, partial gas to drive (whatever a RT flight cost would equal) and all his food. So we've discussed the kids and I coming with (oh and bringing my mom to help!). All in all it would be a pretty cheap trip and why not take advantage?! Then I look at the weather, and the crowd predictions....now I'm scared! So tell me, how bad is it REALLY?
It's very crowded and very hot and humid. This week also leads in the July 4th week, one of the busiest of the year. I would still take advantage of the opportunity for a less expensive trip. Just make sure your expectations are realistic. Try to hit the parks at rope drop, maybe plan to head out in the afternoon for a swim and relax when the crowds and heat are the worst and maybe back in the evenings for a while. Plan to hit the most important attractions and then anything else is a bonus.

That is my opinion and I would never pass up an opportunity for a vacation at a significant discount. I'm sure others will say never due to the crowds and heat, but we are a "glass half full" family and would find a way to have a great time no matter what the obstacles. Good luck making the decision.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
scouthawkk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
we are going to be there that week with friends and their kids! i had already figured it will be hot, humid and crowded, but kind of hope that the supper crowds for 4th of july don't show up until the end of the week or after we leave on the 29th. not holding my breath, but i might keep my fingers crossed we typically go beginning to mid august, which is really crazy hot & humid, but maybe at the beginning of the summer it won't be as bad.

we'll probably just do what we always do. ds and i will get up early, hit the parks before/at rope drop, run around like crazy people having a blast, and meet up with dh whenever he decides to roll out of bed and come find us
scouthawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Timandalicia
Mouseketeer

It's really bad. As bad as you think.
Timandalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
momfeez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Don't be scared! We went this time last year and a few years ago we went the end of July (for DD 16th b-day). I would choose June over July. It will be hot & humid, and there will be crowds and rain. Just plan accordingly. easywdw.com is pretty accurate on which parks to visit or avoid based on crowd levels and special attractions each day. Any day at Disney is better than being at home
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Momma2PrinceNPrinces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfeez View Post
Any day at Disney is better than being at home
I LOVE your attitude! This is definitely SO true :

WDW '81, '90, '98,'02, '06 (US day trip after Carnival Cruise),'11 ,'13, '14, MAYBE '15 (US/IOA)
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
PizzaFryGirl
Earning My Ears

We went this past year from the end of June through to 4th of July week and still had a good time. It was HOT and Humid and crowded and we never made rope drop. But we still got to do all of the rides that we wanted to do.

We will be going back at the end of August this year (guess I love Disney more than I hate the heat). We are trying to get there for rope drop this time and then take a break in the afternoon. And like last time we will go back and stay til the parks close.

We had the least wait times (even during fourth of July week) during the fireworks and parades since the rides really empty out. Our 3 kids would rather ride rides than stand in the heat and watch a parade or stand in a crowd for the fireworks.

I just drink plenty of water and have a plan.
PizzaFryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
It's very crowded and very hot and humid. This week also leads in the July 4th week, one of the busiest of the year. I would still take advantage of the opportunity for a less expensive trip. Just make sure your expectations are realistic. Try to hit the parks at rope drop, maybe plan to head out in the afternoon for a swim and relax when the crowds and heat are the worst and maybe back in the evenings for a while. Plan to hit the most important attractions and then anything else is a bonus.

That is my opinion and I would never pass up an opportunity for a vacation at a significant discount. I'm sure others will say never due to the crowds and heat, but we are a "glass half full" family and would find a way to have a great time no matter what the obstacles. Good luck making the decision.
Yes exactly right!! - OP, yes go but don't try to expect and do too much. Get up early and be there at rope drop. Leave by 1pm for pool and naps (aahhhh!) and then head back refreshed and ready to go. Maybe go to parks in the AM that had extra magic hours the night before.

We are going mid August. We have done late Aug so I know the weather. But I am from the DC Metro which is just as humid that time of year. I rather be at Disney!!!
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Momma2PrinceNPrinces
DIS Veteran

You guys are making me feel much more at ease...thanks!

Another question....DH's thing starts that Monday (23rd) and we'll be driving from St. Louis. I am thinking we'd either leave the Fri night or sat early am before. So we'll probably get there sun morning. DH has the convention Mon-Thurs so he won't be doing anything park wise with us. But we're going to stay at least through Sat (29th) or sun (30th). So, how many days should we buy park tix for? And when I say "we", I mean myself, the 2 kids and my mom.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
sb682
DIS Veteran

My family went the last week of June 2 or 3 times when I was in middle/high school. We are Florida natives so we were used to the heat, but not spending so much time in it! Floridians usually spend a lot of time running from one air-conditioned building to another, not walking around in the sweltering sun. Plus, it rains every afternoon, usually thunderstorms that seemingly come out of nowhere (well, if you're not used to it). We still always had a great time and while it wouldn't be my first choice, I would take my own kids then.

Bring plenty of sunscreen, bottled water and fans (misting fans preferred). Wear hats because you WILL get sunburned on your scalp if you don't. Moisture-wicking socks are a plus. You might be tempted to wear flip-flops but I don't recommend it. The sunlight reflects off asphalt and your feet might get sunburned, plus you can't be sure whether you'll really be comfortable. This is coming from a person who wore them all day, every day for most of the year for the first 25 years of her life.

I'd recommend trying to leave in the middle of the day to avoid the storms and to get out of the heat. If you can't, find attractions like Carrousel of Progress that have very short lines and wait out the storms. They are usually over within half an hour. Take it easy and stay hydrated and use your FPs whenever possible.
sb682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Another question....DH's thing starts that Monday (23rd) and we'll be driving from St. Louis. I am thinking we'd either leave the Fri night or sat early am before. So we'll probably get there sun morning. DH has the convention Mon-Thurs so he won't be doing anything park wise with us. But we're going to stay at least through Sat (29th) or sun (30th). So, how many days should we buy park tix for? And when I say "we", I mean myself, the 2 kids and my mom.
I guess the question you should ask is whether or not you really want to do a park every day. Since it will be so hot and so crowded, do you want a relax day, pool day or whatever. Will your husband be able to get convention tickets? I wouldn't over buy on the number of days if you are buying them separately, because you can always upgrade the number of days you have if you decide to do more park days. Don't think that is possible with convention tickets.
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29 View Post
I guess the question you should ask is whether or not you really want to do a park every day. Since it will be so hot and so crowded, do you want a relax day, pool day or whatever. Will your husband be able to get convention tickets? I wouldn't over buy on the number of days if you are buying them separately, because you can always upgrade the number of days you have if you decide to do more park days. Don't think that is possible with convention tickets.
If it is crowded, you may specifically want to do a park every day. This way, if you don't get to do everything you want on one day, you have another day to finish it with.

For regular tickets, you need to make up your mind whether to add another day on or before the end of the day when the last day (or water park fun vist if any) was used.

It does not save money to use a convention ticket for some of the days and a regular ticket for the rest of the days. If you don't want to do math, then you can simply and arbitrarily and summarily assume that someone's using two different tickets will cost more than arranging your trip to use just one ticket per person.
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:

If it were me, I'd get a shorter park ticket & add the WPF&M option. The water parks are a great way to beat the heat. Then again, I see you're from STL so hot & humid is going to be nothing new for you (even if both will be a tad more extreme in FL). We were there last year 06/15-22 and I remember hearing all the horror stories about how awful it was going to be, yet when we got there we all thought, "Really? This is what everyone was complaining about?". Granted, I think we had a pretty mild week weather wise for FL, but it could have easily been several degrees hotter & we'd have still been fine

BTW, on the off chance you're headed home on the weekend, there is a great Mexican buffet in Mt Vernon, IL at exit 95, but they only do the buffet on Sundays.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: