Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,726

Food & Wine is going to kill me....literally!!!

ARRGGHHH!!

I lost 18 pounds this summer...yay me, right? Well, my cholesterol before we went to Food & Wine was a concern for my doctor (embarrassed to say 299) and he wanted to put me on Triglide, a cholesterol-reducing medication. I say "No, I'm trying to do a lifestyle change and want to do this MYSELF".

I didn't think he'd want to do another cholesterol check so quickly, but I had to go do another blood test today.

OMG, I raised my cholesterol by 36 points after the Food and Wine!!!! I didn't plan on dieting while at Disney, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I could raise my cholesterol THAT much from 7 days of eating as I please (I also gained 5 pounds)!!!

Lesson learned. *sigh* I had planned all along on continuing my pre-F&W eating habits...but this is sooooooo disheartening!! Yeah, nobody put a gun to my head and made me make bad food choices while on vacation, but boy-howdy, I can't believe the difference 7 days could make. It'll probably take me months to get my cholesterol back down just to the previous high number.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this...I never thought I'd ever say I wish I'd watched what I ate on vacation, but this really has me floored, and hope someone can learn from my mistake!
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Southern California and Flexico
Posts: 11,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
ARRGGHHH!!

I lost 18 pounds this summer...yay me, right? Well, my cholesterol before we went to Food & Wine was a concern for my doctor (embarrassed to say 299) and he wanted to put me on Triglide, a cholesterol-reducing medication. I say "No, I'm trying to do a lifestyle change and want to do this MYSELF".

I didn't think he'd want to do another cholesterol check so quickly, but I had to go do another blood test today.

OMG, I raised my cholesterol by 36 points after the Food and Wine!!!! I didn't plan on dieting while at Disney, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I could raise my cholesterol THAT much from 7 days of eating as I please (I also gained 5 pounds)!!!

Lesson learned. *sigh* I had planned all along on continuing my pre-F&W eating habits...but this is sooooooo disheartening!! Yeah, nobody put a gun to my head and made me make bad food choices while on vacation, but boy-howdy, I can't believe the difference 7 days could make. It'll probably take me months to get my cholesterol back down just to the previous high number.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this...I never thought I'd ever say I wish I'd watched what I ate on vacation, but this really has me floored, and hope someone can learn from my mistake!


But you were on vacation at the F&WF. If you HADN'T been checked so soon, your levels and weight would have stabilized back down again. I assume you sampled things and enjoyed yourself, yes? I wouldn't worry and just go back to what you did before. And congrats on the weight loss.
__________________
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
But you were on vacation at the F&WF. If you HADN'T been checked so soon, your levels and weight would have stabilized back down again. I assume you sampled things and enjoyed yourself, yes? I wouldn't worry and just go back to what you did before. And congrats on the weight loss.
I really didn't think of that, thanks. It just freaked me out that i could gain so many points in such a short time. Oh, I WAY more than just "sampled" things...we did the Desert Party, Party of the Senses, 'Ohanas, GF Afternoon Tea, Sunset Safari w/Dinner at Jikos afterwards. It was a "last hurrah" for me (hopefully NOT literally) because I'm having my left knee replaced next week. (and my right one in February). It was also the first time I used an ECV, which was so liberating knowing my evenings weren't going to end in pain every day. However, that ALSO taught me something. I've ALWAYS lost between 4-7 pounds every visit because of all the walking. Walking is GOOD....I can't wait to go back next year, thinner and able to walk circles around DH.
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!
 
JessicaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 15,819

Do what you have been doing prior to vacation and recheck again in 2 weeks.

I once had blood-work done after returning from a cruise. Not a good idea.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran
 
Luv Bunnies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 5,615

I agree that your cholesterol numbers were probably artificially high immediately after your trip. They will likely go down some as that stuff works its way through your system. Sometimes it takes both a lifestyle change and medication to bring your numbers down to a safe level. My total cholesterol was 239. I lost quite a bit of weight and it still hovered around 205. After starting medication, it came down to 185. It's great that you're making changes, but keep in mind that medication might also be part of the equation that brings you to a healthy level. Good luck!
Luv Bunnies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit
 
diznygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 10,433

Doesn't sound like the Food and Wine Festival was the culprit here. Ohana alone would make me gain five pounds! Get back on track with your healthy habits and you should be fine in no time.
__________________
diznygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
I agree that your cholesterol numbers were probably artificially high immediately after your trip. They will likely go down some as that stuff works its way through your system. Sometimes it takes both a lifestyle change and medication to bring your numbers down to a safe level. My total cholesterol was 239. I lost quite a bit of weight and it still hovered around 205. After starting medication, it came down to 185. It's great that you're making changes, but keep in mind that medication might also be part of the equation that brings you to a healthy level. Good luck!
Thank you! I've had funky liver profiles since I had my gallbladder attack and removal, I'm really trying to avoid having to take the medication because it (like most meds) can negatively affect your liver. I also am very careful with tylenol and alcohol intake for the same reason (liver). Congratulations on your weight loss and success in bringing your numbers down!! Are you still taking the medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
Doesn't sound like the Food and Wine Festival was the culprit here. Ohana alone would make me gain five pounds! Get back on track with your healthy habits and you should be fine in no time.
Oh my!! I think if heaven is anything like 'Ohana, the thought of it killing me wouldn't be so bad!!
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 10,909

If you haven't done so do some walking. It's one of the things that help. 20-30 minute minimum.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...
 
minniebeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 7,933

I agree with everyone else, look back and know its ok to enjoy yourself and move on and don't beat yourself up over it. You can get back into a healthy lifestyle each day now.
DH and I did the Tower of Tower 10 mile race in September and every day that I ran before our trip I kept reminding myself I could eat and drink whatever I wanted at the F&W Festival for 2 days. It was a good motivator.
It ended up being that DH and I pretty much shared everything so that meant 1 bite of everything at best.
We have reservations at 'Ohana in January the day of the 1/2 Marathon... It's my first and when training gets hard I think about dinner afterward!

What is it about Disney food? I get it!
Good luck with your knee replacements!!
__________________
minniebeth

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
lizabu
DIS Veteran
 
lizabu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,577

I always seem to gain 5-7 lbs when on vacation. Honestly it doesn't even take a week of me eating like a normal person again before it drops off. It's just vacation and all that great food and eating out every day.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: East Tn
Posts: 15,723

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
I agree with everyone else, look back and know its ok to enjoy yourself and move on and don't beat yourself up over it. You can get back into a healthy lifestyle each day now.
DH and I did the Tower of Tower 10 mile race in September and every day that I ran before our trip I kept reminding myself I could eat and drink whatever I wanted at the F&W Festival for 2 days. It was a good motivator.
It ended up being that DH and I pretty much shared everything so that meant 1 bite of everything at best.
We have reservations at 'Ohana in January the day of the 1/2 Marathon... It's my first and when training gets hard I think about dinner afterward!

What is it about Disney food? I get it!
Good luck with your knee replacements!!
I'm eating at Ohana after the 1/2 also, but later on in the week.

What is it about Disney food? I think it is because it is at DISNEY!!

Honestly, though, I never gain weight at Disney because of the walking. It tends to be so rich, I tend to really watch it because if I eat too much of it, I know I'll be sick.
__________________
Brenda: DISing since 2/2000


There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!
 
KimR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Suburban Atlanta
Posts: 4,529

Keep in mind, too, that your total cholesterol number really doesn't mean much in and of itself - you have to look at the ratio of LDL to HDL. My total cholesterol is 250; however my HLD is high enough (can't remember the exact number, maybe around 80?) that it poses no health risk.
__________________
Kim

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
debknight
On the road to nowhere...
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: chicago
Posts: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
I agree that your cholesterol numbers were probably artificially high immediately after your trip. They will likely go down some as that stuff works its way through your system. Sometimes it takes both a lifestyle change and medication to bring your numbers down to a safe level. My total cholesterol was 239. I lost quite a bit of weight and it still hovered around 205. After starting medication, it came down to 185. It's great that you're making changes, but keep in mind that medication might also be part of the equation that brings you to a healthy level. Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which statin are you taking? Have you experienced any side effects?

The fact that they can cause insomnia, mental fog, and nausea is what worries me the most.
debknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: East Tn
Posts: 15,723

Quote:
Originally Posted by debknight View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which statin are you taking? Have you experienced any side effects?

The fact that they can cause insomnia, mental fog, and nausea is what worries me the most.
My mom and DH and a few of my clients all suffered from some side effects from statin drugs.
__________________
Brenda: DISing since 2/2000


There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.