Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Mom2MrsDisneyB2B
Earning My Ears

Wink Port Orleans-Riverside

Hi
First time I'm trying the DISboards. My daughter says its the best to gain info. I'm going to Disney in September with my husband for the fourth time. First few times we stayed at Carribean Beach. Had a bad experience there. Now we are trying Port Orleans. Wondered if anyone can give me any tips or advice about this place. Is it a long walk to buses and eatery. My husband has heart problems and we need to make sure he is at the right place. Thanks.
Mom2MrsDisneyB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
let'sgo
DIS Veteran

I love POR. If you need something close to the main bulding, book a preferred room and make a note about DH's condition. You could also book a regular room but request to be close to one of the bus stops. There are several around the perimeter of the property. Think about requesting a ground level room as only the mansions have elevators.

Have a great time!
let'sgo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

My Fav Mod

Port Orleans Riverside - My favorite Disney Moderate Resort.

There are bus stops around the perimeter so don't worry about getting to a bus stop. To guarantee being close to the lobby, you need to book a preferred room. We were in building 25 (non-preferred) last time and it was a good location that was not too far from anything.

Things to do?
Make sure to see the entertainment in the lounge at night, Piano Bob is an act not to be missed and it's free!
The Muddy River Pool Bar is one of the best pool bars on property.
The boat to DTD is a nice relaxing trip.
The main pool (and the quiet pools) are shady and a good place to hang out.
Boatwright's is good (not great, but good) table service place to eat if you don't want to leave the property.
One of the better resort food courts it there as well.

I wish I was there right now!
I'm a fan of the Alligator Bayou section. Its shady and lush.
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/

Last edited by dvcHammer; 05-05-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
jupers
DIS Veteran

I agree with PP...

I have stayed at WL too and actually liked POR as much, if not more than WL... Piano Bob was awesome.
Great pool, blew WL away.
loved Muddy Rivers...

I would go POR any day...I just bought DVC, and I will miss POR.
June '12-BCV and BLT; Jan '12-SSR; Oct 11-BWV; Jul '11-Offsite; '09-POR (family trip before Dad passed, best time ever); '07-POR & Wilderness Lodge; '03-Universal Hard Rock-(Wonderful, but not the same); '99-POFQ (Honeymoon-if I knew then...)'93-One Day from Tampa'84-CR'78-Poly
ME DH DD (11) DS (6)
jupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

My girlfriend and I have stayed there twice. Once in MB and once in AB. Each side has a very different feel, neither of which we liked better than the other. The South Depot is usually very busy in the morning (it is also usually the last stop picked up), so after breakfast we would usually take a walk back to our room, go to the bathroom, grab anything we may have forgotten, then walk to whatever bus depot was closest to us.

Just to add on something that is nice that they offer at POR, for about $40 (cost is per carriage ride, NOT per person) you can take a 30-minute horse drawn carriage ride around the property. It is great to do at night. You can grab a couple of drinks from the River Roost (which is where you can also find Yee Ha Bob) and bring them with you on the ride. Totally worth it.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MrsDisneyB2B View Post
Hi
First time I'm trying the DISboards. My daughter says its the best to gain info. I'm going to Disney in September with my husband for the fourth time. First few times we stayed at Carribean Beach. Had a bad experience there. Now we are trying Port Orleans. Wondered if anyone can give me any tips or advice about this place. Is it a long walk to buses and eatery. My husband has heart problems and we need to make sure he is at the right place. Thanks.
POR is huge!! Unless you have a preferred room, it is possible to be very far from the food court. You might find Port Orleans French Quarter more doable, smaller and more intimate.We have a vacation booked in September for FQ. I have never stayed at FQ, but have eaten at the food court and explored the grounds. There is a boat that goes between POR and FQ, and a boat to DTD.

It's been years since we stayed at POR, but only the mansions had elevators. The 2 story alligator buyou rooms near the food court did not have elevators. Perhaps that has changed? But I am unaware of any changes.

Last edited by lovethattink; 05-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
webstah
DIS Veteran

For the most updated and comprehensive information on both Port Orleans resorts, check out www.portorleans.org
Tons of info and pictures for both French Quarter, and Riverside.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Nov 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

webstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2MrsDisneyB2B View Post
Hi
Quite frankly, I think since it is just the two of you; and with his health issues, I would suggest POFQ.

It has just undergone a huge refurb.

The resort is very compact and almost everything is close by.

You can still enjoy the amentities at POR, if you wish, it is just a boat ride away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: