Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #31
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nette View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot as we are currently looking at larger homes. DH and I have decided we must be weird because neither of us wants an open-concept floorplan, or a great room. I prefer for my kitchen to be out of view of my living spaces so that if it's a big mess, I don't have to look at it.

How about you? Do you like open-concept? What about other trends that we see all the time on these home shows? Like giant master bedroom/bath/closet (we don't want any of that either).

Just curious to see if we really are as strange as we think.
DH & I *love* the open feel and looks of our home of 12 years. The kitchen is on the back corner, so not exactly right in the open. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and I wouldn't like to be all shut up by myself.

I go in *older* homes now and hate the chopped up rooms that are all closed off, very depressing to me. We have cathedral ceilings in living/foyer areas with the stairs going across one side, but other than *seeing* the upstairs, everything up there is of course closed. Master is downstairs with sitting area and bath.

I don't have any problems with anyone seeing into my kitchen area. If I'm cooking, it's a little messy, otherwise I always clean it up, so no issues there.

We have lots of windows in the back (south) area of our home, and it's all so light and airy. That's why we planned and built it this way.

Would not want to go back to the old plans. We once had a separate *living room* and *never* used it. No one ever wanted to be all shut up by themselves.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #32
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
You all are making me feel better about our house with no open floor plan.

We moved from CA, where the houses were older and didn't have a large master or and open floor plan. If we had moved further out of the city, we might have had that option, but we lived in a historic district of LA.

We moved to NC and really didn't want the traditional trac homes with only a few floor plans per neighborhood, one builder, etc....

So we bought on land, a very well built home, but not open floor plan at all. Sometimes I have wanted more open so that I could have the TV on while cooking or so that when we have parties people can hang out in the kitchen/great room.

Dawn
I hate, hate, hate having people hanging out and getting underfoot in the kitchen while I'm trying to cook or host a party. I ask them point blank to leave. Some of them do, some of them don't (thanks for nothing, MIL!). We joke that our next dog is going to be a border collie to herd out the uncooperative and bite them if they won't leave the kitchen.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #33
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

Yes, I prefer the open concept. My kitchen with an eat in area, is open to our family room and a sunroom off the kitchen. The den and dining room are separate rooms on the main floor. My 2 oldest kids are teens, when they were little we had a house where everything was a separate room, even the dinette was separate from the kitchen and I hated it!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
Nette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
DH & I *love* the open feel and looks of our home of 12 years. The kitchen is on the back corner, so not exactly right in the open. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and I wouldn't like to be all shut up by myself.

I go in *older* homes now and hate the chopped up rooms that are all closed off, very depressing to me. We have cathedral ceilings in living/foyer areas with the stairs going across one side, but other than *seeing* the upstairs, everything up there is of course closed. Master is downstairs with sitting area and bath.

I don't have any problems with anyone seeing into my kitchen area. If I'm cooking, it's a little messy, otherwise I always clean it up, so no issues there.

We have lots of windows in the back (south) area of our home, and it's all so light and airy. That's why we planned and built it this way.

Would not want to go back to the old plans. We once had a separate *living room* and *never* used it. No one ever wanted to be all shut up by themselves.
So DH and I were talking about this thread, and this common statement. (Bolded above). Which led us to:

Do you think wanting a closed off vs open kitchen could be an introvert vs extravert thing? DH and I are admittedly very introverted.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Our house is an open floor plan, and our main living areas are open to one another. The key to this working is that we have "away spaces" -- that phrase being borrowed from Sarah Susanka's series of Not So Big House books. Yes, when someone's watching TV in the den, everyone in the main living area can hear it, BUT a person who needs quiet can go into the office and close the door or go to his or her own bedroom and close the door.

Also, don't assume that all open floor plans function in the same way. Once we rented a lake house that contained a two-story living room and was 100% hard spaces (hardwood floor and ceiling, stone fireplace, tile in the kitchen, glass windows). Any echo could be heard across the room; the living room TV could be heard across the whole house. In contrast, our house's main living area has carpet, linoleum, and curtains, and I'm convinced that those softer materials absorb some of the sound; oh, our standard 8' ceiling also helps.

We're designing a retirement house right now, and we're definitely using an open floor plan. We want our main living areas to be in an open L-shaped space. Because we tend to host casual gatherings, we want the kitchen in the crook of the L. This means people can serve themselves from the island and go in two different directions (either to the living room or the dining room) to sit down. The living room and dining room will be connected but will be out of each other's sight lines. I think we're going to like this better than the straight-line open floor plan we have now.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #36
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

We move every 2-6 years, so I've had a variety of houses. I like our current open concept house. You walk in the front door and there is an office to the right, with french doors that close. That is where the two desk top computers live, and DS17 much of the time. With the doors closed the noise is minimal. To the left of that is the dining room, open on two sides with big arches. Going straight in, to the right is our bedroom, and the door is around a little hallway corner, so its quiet in there with the door closed. To your left is the living room and on the far left end is the open kitchen, with a breakfast room to the end of it.

I like it. I can cook and watch tv, or talk to the people who are in the living room. The only thing that irritates me is when people try to talk to me from the couch, facing the tv, not me, and expect me to hear them. With the tv on, the dishwasher, the fan in the convection oven and maybe something sizzling on the stove, its NOT going to happen. I usually yell "If you want me to hear you, turn down the tv and turn your head to me!" That works fairly well.

Probably the key to liking it better...we have another large tv room upstairs. The video games are up there, so we don't hear much of that noise. The kids bedrooms are upstairs, so the guitar playing, drum playing and Tuba practice happens upstairs.

Our last house had the kitchen off in its own room, even had a door, that we never closed, except to keep guinea pigs or puppies in. That didn''t bother me at all. It was just fine. A lot of time people would end up in there with me. It was huge, so that was fine. The rest of the downstairs was open...a dining room, two living rooms. The second living room was kind of wasted space. That house had another large living room upstairs, so the video game noise was up.

As for a large master with a large bathroom and closet. Yes, we have that. We have had that in all but our first starter home. I LOVE it. Love a free standing shower, seperate form the tub. Love a double vanity. Love a big closet, even though I don't have tons of clothes. Our bedroom is never huge, but always large.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: