Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Just thought I'd make a little PSA here:
When packing your pressed penny book for a flight, whether carry on or checked, do not put your penny book flat against any electronic device. Evidently it creates a very suspicious shape on x-ray.
DD had her's next to her DSi in her backpack. The TSA couldn't figure it out. They kept running it through the machine, the woman started sweating...they took her Bolt plush and put it through separately....
She kept asking me about what was in the bag. There was no reaction when I said a DSi...but when I said "and she has a pressed penny collection" the woman took a deep breath and said "a what", lol. Those flattened metal ovals laying against the DSi just gave it a very bad appearance. Now we just put the penny book in the bin with my shoes.

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
CireEdorelkrah
Earning My Ears

I love pressing pennies. I have about 200 from Disney World now. There are just so many to collect. They are my souvenir for the trips we take. I will usually buy the coin holder "book" there from a store. I even have a checklist of all the coin machines so I can track which ones I already have.
CireEdorelkrah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Love the ideas - right now the kids just have the Disney books (we bought them in the resort shop at the contemporary).

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
livibug
Mouseketeer

We bought our son's books at the resort gift shop. He is so excited to look for more pressed penny machines on our next trip. The Easter Bunny is bringing him a roll of quarters and pennies in his basket for our trip in June.

Dolphin, CBR, ASM, POP
livibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CireEdorelkrah View Post
I love pressing pennies. I have about 200 from Disney World now. There are just so many to collect. They are my souvenir for the trips we take. I will usually buy the coin holder "book" there from a store. I even have a checklist of all the coin machines so I can track which ones I already have.
Make sure that you update your lists. Last Nov. hubby was done with HS and MK, only to come home and find that they changed out some dies in both locations after our trip. We found that Presscoins.com has the most accurate and up-to-date lists.
They do move machines and/or dies around and also add or take away machines.
There are a bunch of pressed pennies that are part of a series. It is fun to get all the the series.
We have all the coins at the parks, DTD, and resorts except for Shades of Green and those that were changed after Nov.
Hubby bought three ring binder scrapbooks, the fold and staple coin holders (can be found on the internet) for elongated coins, and the 20 pocket plastic pages that you can can put in the binders which hold the fold and staple holders. With over 500 pressed pennies at DW plus the ones retired, the coin holder books that you get at Disney aren't very practical.
He has actually gotten into pressed pennies, that he collects them wherever we go (zoos, museums, etc). I don't mind as he can't complain - as he presses his pennies, I get to shop.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
April7901
Mouseketeer

The collection books available to buy on property - are they Disney themed, or just regular passports?
April7901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7901 View Post
The collection books available to buy on property - are they Disney themed, or just regular passports?
They are Disney themed, they only hold about 48 pennies and 6 pressed quarters.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

I've also seen the books at a local craft store (Hobby Lobby or Michaels?) near their coin collecting stuff.

I've also seen them in the gift shop at a local museum.

But of course, we bought the Disney one

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
Amy162
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know what designs they have on the pressed penny books that are now sold in the gift shops? We have 2 that we have gotten on past trips, one has sorcerer Mickey on it and the other is Tinkerbell. Was hoping for a new design this year!

Nov 98-1st Anniversary Trip May 07-1st Family Trip May 09-Very WET Disney Vacation Nov 09-12th Anniversary & MVMCP Oct 10-MNSSHP Aug 11-SURPRISE, We're going to Disney! Jan 12 Disney Dream Apr 13 Birthday Trip!!
Amy162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
April7901
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
They are Disney themed, they only hold about 48 pennies and 6 pressed quarters.
Cool, thanks!
April7901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: