Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
mainemooncat
Mouseketeer

Paleo Substitutions on Dining Plan at TS?

Hello,

We just booked our trip for next year and did purchase the dining plan (1 snack, 1 QS, 1 TS). My husband eats paleo and I am wondering if anyone had experience with table service restaurants substituting an additional veggie for a starch on the entrees? It is not a deal breaker for him but he would prefer to eat the 2 veggies rather than just leave the starch behind. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I'm sure most, if not all restaurants will accommodate him as much as they can but you may run into a few who won't and he'll just have to pass on the carb.

You would probably be much better off not purchasing the DDP and just paying OOP to better tailor to his needs better. You may not get the full monetary value of DDP with eating paleo because of the dessert options, beverages, and CS entrees. If you paid out of pocket he could piece together his meals if needed.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
mainemooncat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I'm sure most, if not all restaurants will accommodate him as much as they can but you may run into a few who won't and he'll just have to pass on the carb.

You would probably be much better off not purchasing the DDP and just paying OOP to better tailor to his needs better. You may not get the full monetary value of DDP with eating paleo because of the dessert options, beverages, and CS entrees. If you paid out of pocket he could piece together his meals if needed.
We have gone back and forth on purchasing it just because of this, but he is actually the one pushing purchasing the plan because he wants it all prepaid. He is not extremely strict paleo right now (uses different oils than coconut and he does eat beans as DD and I are pretty much vegetarians and that is our main protein source) and thinks he will make exceptions while there for certain things but try to stay on track for the most part. Thanks for your note, good to know that restaurants are not completely locked to the menu when the DDP is used!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Get some gift cards, you will still have it all prepaid. Vegetarians and strict dieters are going to have a difficult time getting moneys worth out of the plan unless you are planning on a lot of buffets or family style places.

You probably are going to run into some restaurants that might substitute with sides that are included with another entree but won't substitute separately listed and priced sides.
MakiraMarlena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
mainemooncat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
Get some gift cards, you will still have it all prepaid. Vegetarians and strict dieters are going to have a difficult time getting moneys worth out of the plan unless you are planning on a lot of buffets or family style places.

You probably are going to run into some restaurants that might substitute with sides that are included with another entree but won't substitute separately listed and priced sides.
We do have mostly buffets and family style for this reason. For the others he just was planning to ask them to double whatever veggie they offered with the entrée and skip the carb. Just wondering if anyone had ever done anything like that before. Thanks for your note!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
kiramay
Mouseketeer

Funny, I just replied on another thread... My dh is mostly Paleo. Our last trip we paid OOP, and he usually ordered fries as his second side, and my kids ate them. We packed a lot of our own snacks too. Buffets are great, and dh loved all the meat at the O'Hana dinner!

Disney and I have a great history, thanks to my parents. Now I get to share it with my family!
Trip#1 12/27/12-01/03/13, POR
Trip#2 October 2014, POR
Trip#3 WDW Half Marathon 2015

kiramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

We have had no trouble getting extra veggies in place of starches. Often, they'll be very generous in the replacement portion

We also have had no trouble replacing desserts with fruit. Counter service desserts can usually be swapped for fruit or water, too. If you get a reluctant CM, you can always request a supervisor.

The waitstaff is very used to dealing with a lot of subbing for allergies/preferences/etc.

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: