Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
serene56
DIS Veteran

Conservation Station in Animal Kingdom

Please give me information on this area.

Trying to decide if I want to fit it in at the end of our Animal kingdom day
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
kennythepirate
Bad Mood t' Blackhearted
Toy Story Mania MASTER!!!

Cute little train ride that takes you to a petting zoo and an area where they doctor the animals. There are several characters out to meet too.
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Tommys Mommy
Mouseketeer

We visited this section of AK on our visit in May. This was the third trip with our kids, but the first time we visited Rafiki's Planet Watch & Conservation Station.

Overall, I found it to be a relaxing, informational place & we were trying to make our AK day relaxing. The train ride was short, we didn't see too much, but it was nice to sit for a few moments. My kids did enjoy exploring the trails, doing some of the little activities & seeing Pocahontas, Rafiki & Jiminy Cricket. We also enjoyed an ice cream treat (including the Nestle Delicias pineapple popsicle!!!) before entering the main building. We looked at displays inside of the building and my kids enjoyed the Affection Section.

We probably spent about an hour & a half in this area and it was enjoyable. I'm not sure we'd go again on our next trip, but only because there will probably be something else we'd rather see. I am glad we made an effort to go explore this part of AK.
Disney Dream: June 2012; June 2014
Tommys Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
serene56
DIS Veteran

In the heat of the day-- would you suggest doing this>?

it will be after 2pm in September
Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Tommys Mommy
Mouseketeer

The building is definitely air conditioned and I seem to recall that the bathrooms were very clean (definitely a plus!) The trails were kind of shaded so you'll be out of the direct sun, but the Affection Section was a hot area. In the heat of the day, the building will be nice & cool but you'll be standing around looking at displays or waiting for characters & autographs. Maybe you could consider the Finding Nemo show; that place was dark & cool and you can sit down to relax.
Disney Dream: June 2012; June 2014
Tommys Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
dolphindan1
What is a Tag?
dang no TAG

The sounds of the rainforest booths or whatever they are called are worth the trip for me...Quiet, Dark, peaceful and cool...I will do it 2 or 3 times while there...makes me sleepy...and a nice break...

We enjoy going back there...I hate waiting for the train...I wish one of the trails went by it but its a nice little area...also have a critter/bird/animal show...if you are into Hidden Mickeys there are a bunch...

We usually see the parade in Africa as soon as it goes by catch the train and get back for the last KS ride...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
wheeliefun
Mouseketeer

Full disclosure I have yet to make it out there with DS 3 and DD 5, but there is the Definitive Guide...here and I think is at least worth a look:

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/planetwatch/
wheeliefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

If your kids are a little older, I'd suggest going in the morning (before 11 am is best) to see the vets working on the animals.
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

we love going out there! DD wants to be an AK veterinarian when she grows up, so she loves seeing them in action. on our last visit, they were doing an exploratory procedure on an animal. it was amazing!

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

It's a great place to spend an hour or so out of the hot sun. DH and I hadn't visited this area of the park in about 2 years and we decided to check it out on our anniversary trip this past March. We had a nice time. There was a cast member on hand with a falcon (I think)...you could take your pic with them and she was happy to answer questions about the animal. We also met Jiminy Cricket! A PhotoPass photog was there to take pics. I personally love the train ride. It's short, but a nice little rest.

wdwpirates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

Is this worth visiting if you don't have kids with you?

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
feezle
Mouseketeer

Ive never been back there. AK has never been my cup of tea. Always put it towards the end of the trip and always ran to the safari and whipped around the park and left. This trip I have promised to slow down and take things in. It is toward the beginning of the trip and we are going with several people who have never been including my 1 year old animal loving daughter. Going to have to make our way back there this time. Determined to make AK more than a half day park.

Jul '96-Off Prop| Aug '04-Off Prop| Sept '06-SSR | May '08-POP| Sept '10-POR| Nov '11-POP | Aug '12-POP/Off Prop| OCT '14-Off Prop
feezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Rafikis and Conservation Station are okay. I would do them if you have the time, but don't kill yourself over it.

There's a petting zoo and the train ride over & some animal exhibits, but I would not pass up other things to do this instead.
Beauty & the Best is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: