Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
Heather1979
Mouseketeer

Last year I went to several signature restaurants with a 15 month old and a 2.5 year old. I think as pp mentioned, as long as you avoid "date night" times it should be pretty family friendly. I think our latest reservation was at 5:30pm, and our kids are usually asleep between 8 and 8:30, so that was a perfect time to be there. Not too many people (I think Le Cellier was the most crowded at 4:45pm), not really "romantic couple" time, and I found our servers VERY accomodating. Many of them would ask if we wanted their meal brought out first or with ours (I liked having it earlier so I could sit and cut it up, etc before my meal came out), and we had entertainment for them once they were done. (We usually sat them next to each other and had a DVD player with personal headphones- Lilo & Stitch or toy story) and they would sit and watch the movie as we got to eat. Now we weren't keen on sitting and lingering, but that did the trick- they were pretty well behaved and we were able to enjoy our meal in a timely manner and no one was really disturbed by crying or anything.

Off site 1987, 1998, & 2003, Pop century 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012, Bay Lake Tower 2013
Heather1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #32
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta8300 View Post
I am not personally bothered by babies at all in these signature restaurants, however I am aware that some people are. My husband and I have not had a bad experience yet with an unusually loud baby, and we have been to almost all of the signatures at this point.

Having said that, I will point out that Citricos is one of the quieter signatures for sure. We have our first baby on the way in June, and even though It is our FAVORiTE signature, we will definitely not be bringing him when we go back to Disney hopefully next year. (He will be about 9 months when we go back, IF he comes with us.). I would not personally enjoy a 2 hour meal worried about my baby disturbing others. But to each his own, that's just me. Signatures are LONG meals.

Some of the louder signatures we have been to where we might possibly feel more comfortable bringing a baby are Flying Fish, Le Cellier, and California Grille
Hollywood Brown Derby is another signature restaurant that's good for those with small children who may not yet understand you need to sit still & speak at a level that only your table can hear. The louder signature restaurants are the perfect place to teach children proper dining etiquette in nice restaurants. Of course, they need to be considered a place for teaching not a place to let them behave as if they were at McDonald's. Children can't learn what they haven't been taught.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #33
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa

I can't imagine putting a server in that position either. I've been to restaurants where other tables were misbehaving and I could see how stressed and harried it made the staff. All I could do was sympathize and endure it like everyone else. But I'm curious, if you were put on the spot like that, how would you react? Would you give the request a, "Thank you, I'll let my manager know"?
Actually I would say I'll go get the manager. I want no part in any of that situation
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #34
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vols View Post
What is funny is that some expect that just because they are paying a high price for a meal that they are entitled to a baby/child-free environment. It seems that they are irritated that children act out and babies cry in an environment at which they chose to dine. I'm not sure that they realize that they are in the family vacation capital of the world...Disney World. If Citrico's didn't want children, then they certainly wouldn't have a children's menu.
I think most people don't mind children being at a fancy restaurant, as long as the parents make sure that the child doesn't behave in a way that impacts other patrons enjoyment of the evening. I've brought my children to dinner since they were infants, and at one point I had 3 kids under the age of four.

I felt that we were entitled to visit restaurants, but that we also had the responsibility to do so in a respectful way. Small children don't do well sitting still for long stretches, so you have to do some careful planning to keep them entertained quietly. You also should keep in mind that going earlier in the evening will make a shorter meal due to fewer people in the restaurant.

If the children start to act up - crying, tantrums, etc., a polite and respectful parent will remove the child from the dining room until they've calmed down. My husband and I would take the unhappy one to walk around outside, or to the lobby area, or even to the restroom to wash hands or faces -- anything to to quiet the situation down. If the children were at the end of their ropes and the crying wasn't going to stop, we would get our check and ask for the rest of the meal to go. No sense ruining the evening for everybody else.

I'd never just sit there and allow my children to scream, run around, and make a nuisance out of the family. It's sad, but there are a lot of people who have the idea that it's everybody else's tough luck if their child is having a bad day.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: