Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
lilaznrat1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7

Parking lot tram accessibility

I'm planning to go to Disneyland soon with my friends. I am in a wheelchair. When I go with my family, we have the blue placard and take the van to the entrance. My friend doesn't have one. Could we take the tram if we go in the double seat row? If not, what do we do?
lilaznrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
SMD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Calif.
Posts: 2,249

At Mickey & Friends there is a ramp that you can use to load into the front row of the first car. I'm not sure how they handle wheel chairs at Toy Story, but I imagine either the bus lowers and has a ramp or there's a lift.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Tink575
Mouseketeer
 
Tink575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE and Kissimmee
Posts: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznrat1 View Post
I'm planning to go to Disneyland soon with my friends. I am in a wheelchair. When I go with my family, we have the blue placard and take the van to the entrance. My friend doesn't have one. Could we take the tram if we go in the double seat row? If not, what do we do?
If you take the blue placard with you, you can just hang it up and park in a handicapped space. The placard is "attached" to the person it is issued to, not the car. For example, if I take my Mom out I use her handicapped parking permit to park.
__________________
Me 63; DH : 64;

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
lilaznrat1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7

I kinda don't want to take the shuttle to the park. The last time I went it was such a long wait to get back since there's one shuttle. Can I just take the tram? My friend can transfer me out.
lilaznrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!
 
Pinup Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cerritos, Ca. 10 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 814

If you are going for less than 6 hours I recommend parking in the DTD lot. The first 3 hours are "free", if you eat at one of the restaurants your parking is validate for 3 more additional hours. After that you pay 6 dollars an hour.

You don't need to ride a tram or shuttle , just walk through the shopping district, if you have AP's you can even take the monorail in directly to the park.
__________________
Me DH DD (3)

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise


Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
lilaznrat1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7

I've never gone to DL for less than 6 hours, so that option is out.
lilaznrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinup Mommy View Post
If you are going for less than 6 hours I recommend parking in the DTD lot. The first 3 hours are "free", if you eat at one of the restaurants your parking is validate for 3 more additional hours. After that you pay 6 dollars an hour.

You don't need to ride a tram or shuttle , just walk through the shopping district, if you have AP's you can even take the monorail in directly to the park.
3 hours free, then TWO hours with validation, just in case someone else seeing this plans to use it.

OP, I think I have some terminology confused. If you park at Toy Story, there is a bus (shuttle). If you park at Mickey & Friends, there is a tram. There are many more than one bus at Toy Story and more than one "tram" at M&F. Having your placard isn't really the issue because the parking is in either of those lots. Nothing closer just bc of the placard. As mentioned you don't have to take the tram I you don't want - you can go through DTD on the sidewalk.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
lilaznrat1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7

I think 8 hours(5 free+3 extra) will do. As for the shuttle, we waited an hour to get back because there was only one. Walking would take forever. Can a small wheelchair fit in the front of the tram?
lilaznrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznrat1 View Post
I think 8 hours(5 free+3 extra) will do. As for the shuttle, we waited an hour to get back because there was only one. Walking would take forever. Can a small wheelchair fit in the front of the tram?
That's certainly not typical. I've never waited more than 10 minutes at any time of year, the longest wait being at night after fireworks. Usually the next one pulls up as one is leaving.

Your question was answered above, that yes, both the trams from M&F and the busses from TS accommodate wheelchairs.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
SMD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Calif.
Posts: 2,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
3 hours free, then TWO hours with validation, just in case someone else seeing this plans to use it.

OP, I think I have some terminology confused. If you park at Toy Story, there is a bus (shuttle). If you park at Mickey & Friends, there is a tram. There are many more than one bus at Toy Story and more than one "tram" at M&F. Having your placard isn't really the issue because the parking is in either of those lots. Nothing closer just bc of the placard. As mentioned you don't have to take the tram I you don't want - you can go through DTD on the sidewalk.
I think OP is referring to the van that Disney uses to transport guests in wheelchairs from M&F to the DtD stop.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post

I think OP is referring to the van that Disney uses to transport guests in wheelchairs from M&F to the DtD stop.
Ahhhh, if so that might explain it, since the other shuttles/trams come much more frequently.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain
 
Mary Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: West of the original Magic Kingdom
Posts: 25,729
DISboards Moderator

The shuttles are equipped to accommodate wheelchairs. Like someone said earlier, there is a ramp that you can go up, and you'll go in the first tram, in the first row. Also, if you have your handicapped placard with you the parking attendants will put you in the accessible parking area which gets you closer to the elevators in the parking garage (unless they are already all taken). They have the same type ramp for your return trip.

Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
bcla
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,579

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
At Mickey & Friends there is a ramp that you can use to load into the front row of the first car. I'm not sure how they handle wheel chairs at Toy Story, but I imagine either the bus lowers and has a ramp or there's a lift.
They're based off of pretty standard NABI low-floor transit buses, although their seating layout might be a little bit different. They can kneel for those with difficulties climbing, and they come standard with wheelchair lifts. I don't think Disney would be able to operate without them with ADA requirements.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.