Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
TheGoofster
all I can do is dream about donuts

Camp Mickey-Minnie

If I were to say that I went to Keystone, South Dakota, most people would probably say “Never heard of it”. Yet if I were to say that I went to Mount Rushmore, I'm pretty sure that everyone has heard of that. What most people don't know is that Mount Rushmore is located on the outskirts of Keystone, SD (I know I didn't until I looked it up).
In the same manner I bet there are a lot of people who have no idea where (or what) Camp Minnie-Mickey is, yet almost everyone knows where the Festival of the Lion King is. Even though the FotLK is located in Camp Minnie-Mickey, I bet that a lot of people just don't really know anything about Camp M-M.
The problem is that it's not really an Animal Kingdom land like Africa or Asia or even Dino Land. It seems like it was more of just an afterthought of some of the parks designers. A way to add another area to the Animal Kingdom, without having to put any real effort into. And that's a real shame, because personally I find that Camp Minnie-Mickey actually has quite a bit to offer.

One of my favorite CS restaurants in all of WDW is located right outside the entrance of CMM – Pizzafari. I think Pizzafari has one of the best atmospheres of any restaurant located at Disney, and normally we eat there at least 2 times every trip.

Camp Minnie-Mickey is also one of the best places to meet and greet characters – especially some of the big names themselves. True there is often a wait involved (especially after the Lion King lets out), but you can usually find quite a good selection of characters there.

As I've already mentioned the Festival of the Lion Kind takes place in Camp M-M. I believe that Pocahontas had a show there as well a little while ago, but I don't think anything is playing there right now. I would imagine that they will eventually get a new show in there to replace Pocahontas.

But it's not just for the shows or Pizzafari that I like this area. I think it has some of the best sights in all of the AK. There are some really beautiful scenes of pure green goodness. From the river and rocky stream to the woods and flowers to the man-made decorations, Camp Minnie-Mickey has enough things to look at to keep your eyes busy for quite a while.

I love the rocky stream that flows through the area. I love the little pond it dumps into, where you can see Mickey, Donald, Pluto, and goofy laying about with fishing rods in their hands. I love the view down the river from the bridge that spans it. I love all the birds in the trees along the river. I love the carved light posts and benches and other decorations you find there. I find the whole Camp Minnie-Mickey area to be both beautiful and relaxing. True it is very lacking in actual attractions, but I think it more than makes up for that in gorgeous scenery.

If you typically rush through this area on your way to see the FotLK, or to get a few Hancocks from the various characters, let me encourage you next time to stop for a few minutes and soak in all of the wonderful sights you can find there – it really is worth your time.

Here are some of the things you can find in Camp Minnie-Mickey (excluding the Lion King show – which I've already covered before).

Last edited by TheGoofster; 07-05-2011 at 08:39 PM.
TheGoofster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Oglet
DIS Veteran

Very good thread, I spend a lot of time in camp and agree with almost everything you said.

if they would extend camp just a little, put in a nice quick service (since Pizzafari is really Discovery Island IMO) and a ride, it would be a great little area. I suspect that oneday Camp MM will meet the same fate as Toontown Fair did and be replaced with something else.
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofster View Post

As I've already mentioned the Festival of the Lion Kind takes place in Camp M-M. I believe that Pocahontas had a show there as well a little while ago, but I don't think anything is playing there right now. I would imagine that they will eventually get a new show in there to replace Pocahontas.
The Pochantas and her Forest Friends show ended in 2008, the area is very small and has been used for Charecter greetings and training for a while now during training seasons. This seems to be a good spot for this and without a major refurb I would be suprised to see any show go back in that spot.

You didn't miss out on much by not seeing the show, we loved to hate that show, it was SUPER cheesy but so cheesy you had to go and see it just to mock it later that day.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Great review and awesome pictures

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop Century 9/11 Pop Century 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 12/20/14 Christmas Magic 4/17/15 Pop Century
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
TheGoofster
all I can do is dream about donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
The Pochantas and her Forest Friends show ended in 2008, the area is very small and has been used for Charecter greetings and training for a while now during training seasons. This seems to be a good spot for this and without a major refurb I would be suprised to see any show go back in that spot.

You didn't miss out on much by not seeing the show, we loved to hate that show, it was SUPER cheesy but so cheesy you had to go and see it just to mock it later that day.
Thanks for the info about the Pocahontas show. I remember reading review about it that didn't sound too great. When we went in Dec. of 2007, it was still running, but we decided to skip it. Sounds like we made the right decision. At least Disney is putting the area to good use (even though it's not being used by the public).
Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
cigar95
DIS weakest link

The little stream you mentioned used to have a progressive fountain in it. But it stopped working maybe 7-8 years ago, and was never repaired. It's the disappearance of little things like that that I find sad.

(A "progressive fountain" is where a jet of water shoots out, and where it lands, another new jet is launched, and where that one lands . . . . . . and so on. Like the one outside the Captain EO entrance, except that the Epcot one forms a complete loop, going back to where it started.)
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

One highlight of CMM is Gitar Dan....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
lovealatte
DIS Veteran

I work here quite often.. it's usually not the same "love and shove" as other locations. (C Spot..) Plus the safari costumes are extra cute
Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
KTJAY
Mouseketeer

We were in Camp Minnie and Mickey last Aug and a cast member approached us and asked if we wanted to be on a float in the parade that day We were on the last float in Mickey's jammin jungle parade that day-what a great memory!!

BTW-Pizzafari is one of my favorite CS

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: