Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
bigblock396
I love Disney

Problems with Moving Company

I have been helping my parents with the movement of their household goods. I dealt with the moving company and was at their house for furniture pickup. There was numerous problems but just want to summarize the main issues to see if anyone has any advice on how to help them.

Contracted with a MAJOR moving company but they subbed it out to a smaller company. The movers added alot of additional charges for moving boxes which they used to pack smaller pieces of furniture in, like dining rooms chairs and also they used boxes for packing material instead of using moving blankets. Of course, the moving company denies packing furniture in boxes or using it for protection on furniture. This will all be proven when furniture is delivered from storage in a month because I will be taking pictures to prove all of this.

Also, every piece of furniture was on the estimate that was worked out with MAJOR carrier. However, the movers are stating that the weight is 2200 lbs over the estimate. I was told by the MAJOR carrier that they estimate the weight high on individual items so my estimate should have been spot on. I had 16 more small boxes than the 80 that were on the estimate but we know they didn't weight 2200 lbs. So the weighing of the truck is also an issue now.

They also came out with too small of a truck so quite abit of the inventory items did not make it on the moving truck and had to be left behind. So how can the weight be so far off when they didn't even take everything on the estimate.

There are many more issues with their move but these are the $$ issues. I have been working with the MAJOR carrier that I contracted with but they say the movers are denying everything I have said. The moving company is willing to discount $445 (for boxes) off of the move if I waive the re-weight upon delivery. My parents are entitled to request a re-weight upon delivery of the furniture if they believe there is a discrepancy but the movers said they will not discount the packing boxes if we request the re-weight.

I feel so helpless now because I thought I had all the bases covered when I contracted this for them. Now they are stuck with an additional fee of $1,300 because of the "extra" weight and bogus boxes. Of course, this all has to be paid in cash to the movers before they will unload the truck so I don't have the ability to use the credit card company for disputing charges.

I'm looking for some advice on where I can go to get some consumer advice on moving issues. Unfortunately, both of these moving companies have an F status on BBB because of multiple issues just like my parents. The MAJOR carrier is dragging their feet on getting this resolved but since my parents are going to want their furniture redelivered within the month, they need to get it all resolved prior to that.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock396 View Post
I have been helping my parents with the movement of their household goods. I dealt with the moving company and was at their house for furniture pickup. There was numerous problems but just want to summarize the main issues to see if anyone has any advice on how to help them.

Contracted with a MAJOR moving company but they subbed it out to a smaller company. The movers added alot of additional charges for moving boxes which they used to pack smaller pieces of furniture in, like dining rooms chairs and also they used boxes for packing material instead of using moving blankets. Of course, the moving company denies packing furniture in boxes or using it for protection on furniture. This will all be proven when furniture is delivered from storage in a month because I will be taking pictures to prove all of this.

Also, every piece of furniture was on the estimate that was worked out with MAJOR carrier. However, the movers are stating that the weight is 2200 lbs over the estimate. I was told by the MAJOR carrier that they estimate the weight high on individual items so my estimate should have been spot on. I had 16 more small boxes than the 80 that were on the estimate but we know they didn't weight 2200 lbs. So the weighing of the truck is also an issue now.

They also came out with too small of a truck so quite abit of the inventory items did not make it on the moving truck and had to be left behind. So how can the weight be so far off when they didn't even take everything on the estimate.

There are many more issues with their move but these are the $$ issues. I have been working with the MAJOR carrier that I contracted with but they say the movers are denying everything I have said. The moving company is willing to discount $445 (for boxes) off of the move if I waive the re-weight upon delivery. My parents are entitled to request a re-weight upon delivery of the furniture if they believe there is a discrepancy but the movers said they will not discount the packing boxes if we request the re-weight.

I feel so helpless now because I thought I had all the bases covered when I contracted this for them. Now they are stuck with an additional fee of $1,300 because of the "extra" weight and bogus boxes. Of course, this all has to be paid in cash to the movers before they will unload the truck so I don't have the ability to use the credit card company for disputing charges.

I'm looking for some advice on where I can go to get some consumer advice on moving issues. Unfortunately, both of these moving companies have an F status on BBB because of multiple issues just like my parents. The MAJOR carrier is dragging their feet on getting this resolved but since my parents are going to want their furniture redelivered within the month, they need to get it all resolved prior to that.
Was this a long distance move? When I moved locally last summer, they charged by the hour. One of the owners came out and did an estimate, he estimated 4 hours for removing the furniture from the old house (no packing), drive to the new house (4 miles), unload at new. Turned out it was only 2 1/2, so that was all I paid for, plus they added an hour for travel from their garage. I think it was $110 an hour, it ended up around $400 plus tips (I gave each of the 3 guys $20). I didn't have alot and I took boxes over myself. My realtor recommended them, they moved the old owner of my townhouse out and she was happy, hers was less than the estimate also.
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This sounds so much like our moving experience this summer. We chalked it up to lessons learned, but it still eats me if I think about it. The movers showed up in a U-Haul truck!

Next time we'll just rent a Penske, drive ourselves, and hire movers to help load and unload. And of course since my DH is in academia, there WILL be a next time.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
bigblock396
I love Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Was this a long distance move? When I moved locally last summer, they charged by the hour. One of the owners came out and did an estimate, he estimated 4 hours for removing the furniture from the old house (no packing), drive to the new house (4 miles), unload at new. Turned out it was only 2 1/2, so that was all I paid for, plus they added an hour for travel from their garage. I think it was $110 an hour, it ended up around $400 plus tips (I gave each of the 3 guys $20). I didn't have alot and I took boxes over myself. My realtor recommended them, they moved the old owner of my townhouse out and she was happy, hers was less than the estimate also.
Yes, it was a long distance move. Wish it had been a local move because it would have been much easier. Their stuff is currently in storage, hoping for delivery soon. On this long distance move, they just did an over-the-phone estimate where you go around the house, while they are on the phone, and you tell them everything you have. They plug it into a program which calculate the "supposedly" estimated weight and cubic feet. However, I think they need to adjust their software estimates.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Yes, it was a long distance move. Wish it had been a local move because it would have been much easier. Their stuff is currently in storage, hoping for delivery soon. On this long distance move, they just did an over-the-phone estimate where you go around the house, while they are on the phone, and you tell them everything you have. They plug it into a program which calculate the "supposedly" estimated weight and cubic feet. However, I think they need to adjust their software estimates.
We have moved long distance three times and each time they came out and went through the house. This over the phone thing sounds fishy to me. How would they know how much something weighs with out looking at it for a better guess? Some bedroom suites are massive and some are not. Thats just odd.

My husbands employer has always paid for our moves, but as far as I know there was never an issue with the billing.

Now we did have one move with a few issues. Our furniture had to be in storage while our house was being built. While it was there a little mouse built a nest in my husbands recliner. It was destroyed. Also they broke some glass in my china cabinet and broke a bird bath too. The biggest thing was when they moved our refrigerator in, they scratched the floor bad, in my brand new kitchen. we had to file a claim and they sent a check for the repairs and replacements. I should have billed them for a pack of toilet paper too because one of the movers was sick that day. Our brand new bathroom all stunk up by a stranger. it's funny now though!

I hope that the final move in goes well. I think I would be on the phone with the owner, or CEO of this big company who you talked to in the first place. I would hold them responsible for this mess.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

OP - you need to get the estimate that your parents have. There are two types.

Binding not to exceed which means they pay the bottom line - no exceptions unless your parents signed for extra charges at pickup.

Non-Binding. Legally the MOST the moving company can collect at delivery is the estimate plus 10 percent. You must pay this amount but can dispute the charges. Ask for copies of the weigh tickets. They should be immediately prior to the load and immediately after. If not ask for a back weight. They will weigh the truck, put your parents stuff back on and re-weigh since it is in storage. You have the rights to do this.

Your parents should have received a pamphlet called Your Rights and Responsibilities. If not stop in to a major company and get one. It will outline all your rights and how to go about disputing any charges.

Also, sub-contracting is usually a nightmare. Ask if they stated that they would be doing this as it is sometime against the paperwork your parents signed.

LAST and THIS IS IMPORTANT - find out what type of liability they took out on the shipment. Get the inventory sheets. Figure out how to read them and make sure to check your furniture and boxes for any damage and NOTE IT before you sign for the furniture.

If you have any questions please PM me. I worked for a major moving company and will try to help you as much as I can.

I really hope all works out.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

This is actually a Federal case. Contact the Interstate Commerce Commission. They regulate all interstate moving companies.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post

Binding not to exceed which means they pay the bottom line - no exceptions unless your parents signed for extra charges at pickup.

Non-Binding. Legally the MOST the moving company can collect at delivery is the estimate plus 10 percent. You must pay this amount but can dispute the charges. Ask for copies of the weigh tickets. They should be immediately prior to the load and immediately after. If not ask for a back weight. They will weigh the truck, put your parents stuff back on and re-weigh since it is in storage. You have the rights to do this.

Your parents should have received a pamphlet called Your Rights and Responsibilities. If not stop in to a major company and get one. It will outline all your rights and how to go about disputing any charges.

Also, sub-contracting is usually a nightmare. Ask if they stated that they would be doing this as it is sometime against the paperwork your parents signed.

LAST and THIS IS IMPORTANT - find out what type of liability they took out on the shipment. Get the inventory sheets. Figure out how to read them and make sure to check your furniture and boxes for any damage and NOTE IT before you sign for the furniture.

If you have any questions please PM me. I worked for a major moving company and will try to help you as much as I can.

OP, it sounds like Tinker n fun can help you!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Yes, I think Tinker can be of great help.

I have heard horror stories about moving companies. When we moved we were blessed to find a good one (used them a couple times) on was local and one was long distance (by definition) seems like if you hit a certain amount of miles it is considered long distance and they charge by weight etc... instead of by the hour. For the local move they did an over the phone quote "guestimate" for a about how long they thought it would take and they were pretty accurate. For the long distance they did actually come out and look and give an estimate based upon what they thought it would weigh, and were also pretty accurate, I am thinking within $50. They were really nice guys and did a great job both times.

It seems usually the stories about movers are negative. People get their stuff broken, or basically held for ransom. I had a co-worker that some company was holding onto like about half her stuff for a couple months, it was a disaster. Moving is stressful enough, people don't need the moving companies taking advantage of them along the way.

To quote that lady from the internet, "ain't nobody got time for that".
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
bigblock396
I love Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post

Oh, Tinker'n'fun.
Thank you so much for your advice offer. I have sent you a PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

I got the PM and replied if you are reading here.

For anyone who has any questions or just would like to read here are the "Rights and Responsibilities" I was talking about. I picked a company I never worked with though to be biased even though it is a government sponsored pamphlet. So if anyone is reading this and moving and is freaked make sure you read it. Most companies are very good but I do highly recommend a major company and to stay away from a small company for an interstate or intrastate move. Local moves are okay to use local companies and are charged per the hour.

http://www.vanlines.com/moving_tips/...ibilities.html
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Please tell the name of the companies you are dealing with so none of us have to deal with them.

I am moving soon, long distance, and will have movers packing us up. Never had to do that before but someone pulling up in a U-Haul will get turned away quick. The company is paying for the move and has movers they use so it should be fine but I still want to know what and who to look out for.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

If you are sill having issues with the moving company, after you tried some of the suggestions PP's have posted, I would tell then that you are going to post their company name and the bad experience you had all over the Internet. They stand a chance then of losing a lot more money than they would make, with all of the extra charges, in bad publicity. Post the name here and create accounts on other forums and post the same thing there.

Last edited by clarkshel; 02-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Please tell the name of the companies you are dealing with so none of us have to deal with them.

I am moving soon, long distance, and will have movers packing us up. Never had to do that before but someone pulling up in a U-Haul will get turned away quick. The company is paying for the move and has movers they use so it should be fine but I still want to know what and who to look out for.
Our company hired the movers and I had nothing to do with it but we had good experiences with American Van Lines and Atlas Van lines if that helps any. Our movers have always been very professional. We had pretty smooth moves each time. I think Atlas was the ones with our move in issue, but they handled it great.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Ugh! I hate moving companies. We packed everything ourselves except two items A neon wall clock and my chandelier. They cover only items they packed for insurance purposes. So I let them do those.

They put the clock It in a box, wrapped with paper and then threw a huge metal crowbar on top of it. They also broke a piece off the bottom of the chandelier.

After fighting with them, we ended up being moved for free. (those items cost more than the move though)

I hope it all work out for you. And I used a small local company for a 3 hour away move.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: