Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #46
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

No, they do not. They continue to read and do the library's summer reading program. Other than that, they do a lot of playing outside, and we take a lot of day trips. I believe summer is meant to be a break from school work, and a time when kids can engage in other fun AND educational activities.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #47
pirateofthecarolinas
AIN'T ain't a word!
Guilty of stalking Deb Wills on the monorail
Sometimes hides from her children
Married a bra strap cutter

No workbooks. I do require them to read. DD13 can read a novel in a couple of days. DS15 may finish 2 this summer. DS8 is going to a 5 week reading enrichment program. He is below grade level in reading due to dyslexia. Hopefully, by the end of the summer he will be on grade level.

All 3 of my children want me to work with them on their cursive handwriting.

I'm also going to work with DS15 on counting out change. He just never "got it" in school so we are going to practice. I noticed that he was always apprehensive about having enough money to pay for something. We talked about it and he admitted that he wasn't comfortable with counting $.

So, in a nutshell, we will be working of Life Skills this summer!

We're rascals, scoundrels, villains, and knaves. Drink up me hearties, yo ho. We're devils and black sheep-really bad eggs.
pirateofthecarolinas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #48
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

We have never done workbooks over the summer months. Our schools use to offer fun summer school classes that the kids would always take. Things like camping and French, but those went the way of budget cuts. My DD is doing summer reading at the library, but its for fun.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #49
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

When the kids were in early elementary years we had them do a page or two out of a workbook each day, usually when they were eating breakfast or lunch. It didn't cut into any play time and it helps retain what they learned in school that year. They always have read before bed so that isn't an issue. Now that they are in high school they do have some summer reading they have to complete for classes in the fall but again, they read before bed anyway.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #50
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mom View Post
There is also ample research to support that kids can lose up to 25% of what they have learned the previous year during the months away from school. My child is an A/B student and for her the worksheets aren't idiotic. Consider yourself lucky that your kids don't slide. I consider myself lucky that DD can do some schoolwork during the summer and still have a great time.
You are correct that they can lose that much and more and a bit of review of things learned certainly doesn't hurt and I wouldn't call it idiotic.

But, I hope that everyone does realize that there are a million and one ways to review skills without workbooks. And some kids just don't learn or retain knowledge by using worksheets.

My kids have been A/B students (well, one wasn't always and had the ability but that is another whole subject and has nothing to do with summer worksheets) and the oldest two obtained scholarships without doing one summer worksheet.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #51
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
You are correct that they can lose that much and more and a bit of review of things learned certainly doesn't hurt and I wouldn't call it idiotic.

But, I hope that everyone does realize that there are a million and one ways to review skills without workbooks. And some kids just don't learn or retain knowledge by using worksheets.

My kids have been A/B students (well, one wasn't always and had the ability but that is another whole subject and has nothing to do with summer worksheets) and the oldest two obtained scholarships without doing one summer worksheet.

We don't do workbooks, but that doesn't mean my kids aren't learning anything new or using what they have learned. My whole garage looks like a mad science lab, its filled with things for my kids to do that gives them hands-on learning (math and science). I think this summer's project is to build a robot. They will get so much more from doing that than sitting at the table doing worksheets for an hour. My dd has expressed an interest in cooking so I plan on letting her go wild in the kitchen this summer. There are so many ways to keep kids sharp over the summer.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #52
Magic Mom
EVERYONE has the God given right to a vacation here
I did have to go there
And the end reward is my in laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post

I agree, there are lots of ways to retain what you've learned. It doesn't have to be with a worksheet. DD does some worksheets and she also uses a computer program provided by the school. Really I wish she was a straight A gifted wonder child, but instead she is just a really smart, regular kid that needs to keep her skills sharp or she loses them. She'll have to settle for a few hours less fun every week.....oh the horrors.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #53
NewCrew42
One Day I'll be a Galactic Hero!

My kids did summer workbooks while in elementary school. It really helped them, especially my DD. In fact she would ask for workbooks.

Now that they are in middle school and high school we do not do workbooks but we do continue our summer reading. Now they both have summer reading lists.

DS did work on ACT workbooks this summer. Does that count?

POFQ - June 2014, POFQ - June 2013, POFQ - July 2010, Pop Century - March 2009, Pop Century - April 2008, Pop Century - May 2007, Contemporary - May 2006, Grand Floridian - May 2005, Contemporary - May 2004, Contemporary - May 2003, Off-site - June 1992
NewCrew42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #54
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

No, I don't make them do anything. They both love to read though and read a lot during summer break.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: