Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Driving from Salisbury to Stonehenge

Hi,

My family and I are thinking of making a trip to Stonehenge during our visit to England in September. We've been there once as part of a bus tour and the time spent at Stonehenge was far to short. We're thinking of staying in Salisbury and heading out to Stonehenge this time. I've read that there are buses that go from Salisbury train station to Stonehenge on a fairly regular basis, so that is one option. However, I was looking around the Stonehenge heritage website and there are 'Stonehenge Circle Access' opportunities, but they are only during non-normal operating hours (either early in the morning or late in the afternoon), so we'd have to find our own way to and from Stonehenge. I was wondering what the drive is like from Salisbury to Stonehenge. Is there a lot of traffic? Is the drive pretty easy (it looks pretty straight forward on the map, but sometimes map can be misleading)? I've never driven in the UK before, so I'm a little hesitant about that as well.

Thanks!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
fuse04
DIS Veteran

If staying in Salisbury itself I would take the A360 as this would avoid the A303 which can , at times, be very busy at Stonehenge as the A303 is the main route from the south to the southwest of Engand. Roads and Stonehenge itself are very well signposted.

Almost all hire cars in Uk come with a gear shift rather than a automatic

This is nearby and might also be of interest

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main.../w-avebury.htm
Old 03-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

It's a very easy drive from Salisbury (and not far at all). I think Rob is right as well, if you find Stonehenge interesting, you will probably enjoy the Avebury stone circle. We live very close (about 5 miles) and it's fascinating. Also, round here are the famous White Horses www.wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: