Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

Lots of Rides Closed During WOC?

I just watched part of the YouTube video of WOC. I noticed that California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel were completely dark, and it appeared that others were dark as well (MaliBoomer, Mulholland, etc.).

So, it appears that although DCA has later hours, that only part of the park will be open after 8pm as far as rides are concerned? I hope this isn't the case, but I can see why it would be. UGH, back to the drawing board...now I need to re-do several portions of my 5 day itinerary....
Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglemama View Post
I just watched part of the YouTube video of WOC. I noticed that California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel were completely dark, and it appeared that others were dark as well (MaliBoomer, Mulholland, etc.).

So, it appears that although DCA has later hours, that only part of the park will be open after 8pm as far as rides are concerned? I hope this isn't the case, but I can see why it would be. UGH, back to the drawing board...now I need to re-do several portions of my 5 day itinerary....
Correct. That news was released, I think, a couple of months ago or so. The whole Paradise Pier area (except for TSMM) will be closed at night so the focus can totally go to WoC. I am hoping that TSMM will have short lines if everyone is waiting around for WoC (just like POTC and a few other rides in DL have next to no lines when people wait for Fantasmic and the fireworks).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
brergnat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglemama View Post

Yes, all of the rides around the lagoon will be shut down. From the Golden Zephyr all the way over to CA Screamin.

Not sure if Mulholland will stay open...also, there was mention that Toy Story Mania WOULD remain open, but I haven't heard for a fact that this is true.

My understanding is that the park closes at 9pm anyway, even when there are later shows. The only part that remains open is the Hollywood Pictures backlot area, for the preshow entertainment Glow Fest.
brergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
brocklesnar69
Proud to be a Villain

It sucks so much that they are shutting down those rides. The view from California Screain would be so fantastic! All they'd have to do is let people ride it with the lights turned off. No big deal.

After WoC is over will they open those rides back up?

brocklesnar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Correct. That news was released, I think, a couple of months ago or so. The whole Paradise Pier area (except for TSMM) will be closed at night so the focus can totally go to WoC. I am hoping that TSMM will have short lines if everyone is waiting around for WoC (just like POTC and a few other rides in DL have next to no lines when people wait for Fantasmic and the fireworks).
The WOC FAQs on the DLR website have TSMM down during the show now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklesnar69 View Post

After WoC is over will they open those rides back up?
Most likely no since the shows pretty much go until park closing.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

From the DL FAQ website http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...olorQuestions:

Will some attractions close early during World of Color?
Similar to Fantasyland attractions and Mickey's Toontown closing prior to fireworks, some attractions will close prior to the first World of Color show. These include:

* Games of the Boardwalk
* California Screamin'
* Golden Zephyr
* King Triton's Carousel
* Jumpin' Jellyfish
* Maliboomer
* Mickey's Fun Wheel
* Mulholland Madness
* Silly Symphony Swings
* Toy Story Mania!

Note: Attraction availability subject to change. Some Paradise Pier food and merchandise locations may also close. Check the Calendar or the Entertainment Times Guide at the Disneyland® Resort for exact times and closures.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the feedback and info everybody.

I hadn't seen the info about the rides being closed (although I wondered repeatedly how guests would be getting to and from rides surrounding the lagoon during the show, and just figured I would ask once the show had premiered).

I guess that means my plan for an after 8pm jaunt back over to DCA to use late FP's for Screamin' is foiled, lol! Sigh.

Oh, well. I hope people really enjoy the show, it looks pretty impressive!
Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
The WOC FAQs on the DLR website have TSMM down during the show now too.
Drat the luck! Well, that's a new development! I don't think that was in the original plan, but I guess at least for right now, DLR figures that it's better to keep TSMM closed too, so there is no distraction from WoC whatsoever, in any area of PP. I suppose this will change with the seasons, on nights when there are no World of Color shows (eventually because of weather or something, there will have to be some nights without World of Color). They can keep PP open for a while on those nights if there is no WoC to contend with.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Unfortunately not all CM's got the memo about Midway Mania. I asked and was told it would be open. Went over and it wasn't. It was that way the whole day went I'm afraid.

Aladdin people didn't get the memo that their times had been adjusted by 5 minutes. My dinner was SOOOOOO slow but I still made it over there just in time according to the schedule. They said we were late and then were giving out the wrong time for the next show to everyone who was coming up to get into that show "we just missed". When somebody showed them the schedule they said they'd have to talk to their manager about it.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
brocklesnar69
Proud to be a Villain

Is there a reason why they can't run California Screamin with the lights off?

brocklesnar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklesnar69 View Post
Is there a reason why they can't run California Screamin with the lights off?
My guess is they are concerned about the noise it makes. They ought to have Midway Mania open though.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
disfan07
DIS Veteran

We were just there on the 11th and 12th.

EVERYTHING on paradise pier will be closed during WOC including TSMM. There are signs all over the place and in front of all of the rides saying this.

After seeing the setup of OWC, it makes perfect sense...at least to me.
So yes, basically paradise pier closes around 8PM i think because of World of Color.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: