Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Global Keratin Treatment

I have an appointment tomorrow to get this Keratin treatment done and was wondering how other people made out with it. Did you have this treatment also? How do you like it? I am nervous about it all of a sudden! I have wavy/curly hair that just frizzes and curls up weirdly in the humidity.

A couple of weeks ago I was at our beach house and it wasn't a great beach day. I blew dry my hair and straightened it since I didn't think I'd be sitting on the beach all day. A friend came over that had this treatment done and we did end up outside all afternoon. My hair frizzed right up while hers stayed beautiful and smooth all day

The cost is way up there but DH is insisting I do it if I really want to. I told him I would accept it as my early birthday persent then so I won't feel so bad about the money

Please tell me it's worth it and my hair will be frizz free and beautiful too!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

anyone??
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

I'm curious about this too. I also wonder if you can get your roots touched up during the treatment.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

We didn't get this done, but we did our research for DD17 who was considering it.

First to Mushy, you have to get your roots and or any color or other processes done prior to this treatment.

The treatment does contain chemicals and it is not 100% safe as stated. Make sure your supplier has a low or no formaldyhyde (spelling) version that they use.

The process is extremely expensive and takes a while to do. If you do not buy the products, you will void any "warrantee" that your salon gives and even on day 2 you will be out of luck. The products are EXTREMELY expensive.

You should consider only washing every other or 2nd. day with the treatment.

Many woman claim that is "dulls" your hair. So any shine you have will be gone or less than normal and a darker color.

DD has very thick and curly hair. It was expected that she would still have some curl but would be able to straighten is much easier and the curls would not frizz up on her.

Average length of time for lasting is averaging 2 1/2 months. So consider this will be an ongoing cost in your haircare if you want to continue it.

As I stated, DD decided the price, chemicals in the process and products were bad for you, and the fact that it wouldn't last that long for the price etc.. She decided against it.

A few of her friends have had it done and in my personal opinion their hair looks greasy and over-processed. (This is just my opinion).

Last but not least, my hairdresser who only rents in her salon but is the top hairstylist, walked me to the car after we said no. She told me that the owner of the shop was pushing it for the profit and to stand my ground and not get it done on DD. Good luck on your decision. I am sure many woman will come in and say they love it. That always happens though.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Bethenny
Mouseketeer

I had this treatment done a few weeks ago. http://www.keratincomplex.com/ There are no chemicals in it. I've had issues with harsh chemicals in straighteners before and my stylist won't use those chemicals on me anymore. I can't speak for the other one, but this one has been great.

My hair is very thick and course. Normally, in order to leave the house, I have to completely dry and then straighten my hair with a flat iron. With this, it dries a lot faster and I can go out of the house without flat ironing. It's not perfect, and I would certainly use a flat iron if I was dressing up a bit. But it looks good enough to go out and run errands. It's made my life way easier.

I've only had it done the one time, but I was told it should last between 5-6 months. I spoke to another client of my stylist who's done it a few times and she had nothing but great things to say about it.
Bethenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Re: the above post, not to be snarky at all, just to educate:

Keratin

Keratin Complex by Coppola contains trionic keratin protein, a keratin-derived compound used for relaxing the hair follicles while damaging them as little as possible. When mixed with an aldehyde solution, as found in Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy, the hair relaxes and becomes more manageable. The patent for trionic keratin protein lists Peter Coppola, the creator of the hair care line, as the inventor of trionic keratin protein.

Aldehyde solution: formaldehyde

Please note: I am very aware that many hair treatements contain chemicals and the side-effects are usually minimal. I also believe many woman will use this treatment and LOVE it. But it also good to know that there have been many adverse reactions to the aldehyde solution as in eye irritation, hives, etc.

If your hair dresser is not telling you the truth about what you are putting on your head, time to get a new hair-dresser.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

My friend gets the Keratin treatment done and it is amazing! Her hair is very curly and frizzy normally and after the keratin treatment, it's sleek and straight.
She can't get it wet for 3 days after the treatment is done. For the first couple of weeks it looks a little limp, but after that it's bouncy and beautiful. She has thick hair, I don't know if thin hair would do well with it.
It lasts about 3 months.
I would do it myself if I wanted to spend the $$ 4 times a year...but I don't. So tempted-how nice it would be not to have to straighten my hair every day!

Vicki

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

I'm not familiar with the others, but can heartily recommend Brazilian Blowout (BB), in case that's an option for you (or others reading). I live in FL and have VERY frizzy hair; it's neither straight nor curly, just frizzy unless blown out and flat-ironed. The BB takes about 90 minutes: hair is washed, solution applied, blown out, flat-ironed, then rinsed. That's it. Frizz-free for 10-12 weeks. No avoiding anything after having it done - I was at the beach and in the pool with my hair in a ponytail 15 minutes after having the BB done and it was just fine.

Just to be clear, though, BB is NOT a straightening process, but a smoothing process. If you have curls or waves to start, you'll still have curls or waves after. Only smooth and frizz-free!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: