Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #2116
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JintyB View Post
I've really enjoyed catching up with the rest of your reviews and we agree on most of the particularly good bits (and bad bits) of DLP. I guess for us, it's a little bit of magic close to home and we love it for all it's oddities. But if I had to choose DLP or WDW, WDW would get my vote.

Sorry the weather was so bad for you. We've experienced all extremes - from snow (the lake around BTMRR froze!) to hot sunshine - fingers crossed it's the latter next week

And to pick up on Barb's interesting research, this is the third year I've helped run this school trip and we replaced visits to places like Sacre Couer and Montmartre in favour of DLP after some unpleasant encounters there two years ago. In fact, last summer the Louvre was closed when staff walked out because no one was tackling the pick pocket issues they were experiencing - an organised gang has since been busted!
Glad you've enjoyed the updates, and I can definitely understand your feelings about DLP. For anyone living in Europe (especially places such as France, Germany, and the UK), DLP provides a nice dose of magic without having to travel too far. The castle is a winner, the original park is perhaps the most beautiful Disneyland-style park of all, and even WDS is improving. Walt's Restaurant and Disney Dreams are also fantastic experiences. As a standalone destination, I would say DLP is lacking compared to WDW and DL, but there were individual components that I seriously loved. In fact, I still have the music from Phantom Manor stuck in my head.

Good luck with the weather! Hopefully it won't be raining too badly next week - I'm sure you'll be safe from the snow this time.

I also understand your feelings about "unpleasant encounters" in Paris - the bracelet guys of Sacré Coeur seriously annoyed me. In fact, I witnessed so many scam attempts in Paris, and the scammers were relentless (fortunately they didn't get a cent from me). For that reason, I couldn't wait to return to DLP after a week in the city, and things were definitely better there. So I think you made a great choice switching the school trip to DLP, and the students probably don't mind either.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #2117
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, the DLP updates are awesome! I just can't get over how incredible that castle looks. Thanks for all of the awesome pictures! I would love to get a chance to visit the park sometime in the future. Not sure if it will happen, but I can certainly dream.

Those pictures of the dirty hotel exterior just blow my mind. Like you said, it gives you quite a different perspective and makes you a little more appreciative of all the refurbs WDW always has going on at any given time.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the fantastic updates!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #2118
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Oh my goodness, the DLP updates are awesome! I just can't get over how incredible that castle looks. Thanks for all of the awesome pictures! I would love to get a chance to visit the park sometime in the future. Not sure if it will happen, but I can certainly dream.

Those pictures of the dirty hotel exterior just blow my mind. Like you said, it gives you quite a different perspective and makes you a little more appreciative of all the refurbs WDW always has going on at any given time.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the fantastic updates!
Glad you enjoyed the DLP updates, and you're right about the castle - it was easily the coolest! I hope you can visit DLP at least once, and if you do end up taking that trip to England, there's a direct train from London to Marne la Vallée - Chessy (the train station adjacent to DLP).

The dirty hotel exterior was definitely a surprise, and it emphasized how the resorts in WDW are generally maintained and updated adequately. Fortunately, this particular hotel in DLP is receiving a (much-needed) refurb right now, so within a few months, it hopefully won't look like that any longer.

In spite of my mixed experience overall, I'd still recommend visiting if you get the chance. And while we're still talking about DLP, here are a few more pictures that didn't fit into my previous updates.

A reminder of 'home'

One last castle shot

DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #2119
kitty2kidz
Mouseketeer

Fabulous info!! Following!!!
kitty2kidz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: