Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer

How to Pull Off the Surprise?

Good morning! I hope you're all warmer than I am . . . slipped and fell on the walk to school this morning and despite drying off and drinking lots of hot coffee I'm still chilled!

Anyway, on to the question. We (me, hubs, and our 6, 4 and 3 year olds along with my BIL and niece) are headed to WDW in March. The kids have been talking about going back to see Mickey for some time now and we've told them that we're not going any time soon, that we're looking at NEXT year. Because this is a multi-family trip, we're trying to figure out when to spring the surprise on them and how to do it.

Right now the plan is to have the car packed while the older two are in school and the youngest is napping. Daddy will arrive home at some point and we'll load the kids in the car wearing their PJs. I'm hoping that he'll be able to get home shortly after their normal bedtime so that I won't have to carry three dead weight sleeping babies down three flights of stairs. We are abolutely NOT telling them before we load up the car.

I was thinking of getting them new PJs that are Disney themed and have them wear those without saying anything. New PJs are a big deal in our house and occur often enough that it wouldn't be questioned. I also plan to have our Disney themed cups as our car cups (pre-loaded in their cup holders so it won't be a big production). I figure we'll be playing our Disney movies for the ride, which again isn't a big departure from the norm.

The problem I'm having is that I kind of want to have that moment where they realize (well, at least the 6 year old) that we're not taking any old long drive, we're taking a long ride to DISNEY! on tape. Any suggestions on how to move from the subtle suggestions to the "woo-hoo" moment? We are not telling anybody on my side of the family and I wanted to send them the video as our way of letting them in on the secret.

Thanks!
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you have it all planned out. We too are doing a surprise for my daughter, she knows we are going to Disney World this summer but has no idea as of when. We are bringing my mom with us and this is her big surprise. I almost blew it the other day but we have since kept it a surprise. Hoping we can hold out until the night we leave.

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
marymaya
Mouseketeer

We haven't booked anything yet but we plan on packing a little backpack for each kid with disney stuff in it for the plane ride (coloring books, books, small toys), and a shirt that says Disney Bound or something like that and a mickey hat. Not telling them till the morning of...hope they don't catch on.
marymaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
abqgreene
Earning My Ears

My dad is taking my brother, husband, myself and all FIVE grand kids in May. None of them know and we are planning on scooping them up from bed for our 6am flight and telling them on the way to the airport.
abqgreene is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: