Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
DisneyDarwin
Mouseketeer

Falmouth Tour

I thought I'd share this, since the Fantasy just started calling on Falmouth.

We just finished a tour with Phil Lafayette out of Falmouth and we can highly recommend him. Phil picked us up exactly as planned just outside the port entrance where the independent tours gather. Phil is a great ambassador for Jamiaca and his joy in showing off his country is evident. He is also funny, articulate, and shared a lot of great info about the places we visited. Our tour was to the Blue Hole waterfalls, a beach and lunch. Our party of three from the Disney Fantasy joined a party of 6 from the RCCL Freedom. We were all very comfortable in Phil’s air-conditioned van. Our first stop was a hilltop overlooking the bay where he got us a taste of jerk chicken to go with the view and our beers and rum punches. Phil tailors his tours to suit each day’s group. I needed to stop and get cash because we spent too much money in Cozumel and I didn’t have enough to pay him. And, the other group wanted some snacks, so we made a quick stop at a market and ATM and we were quickly back on the road. Phil narrated as we made our way to the falls. A few of our group rented water shoes for $6/pair near the falls. We parked and Phil turned us over to Cole who led us safely around the falls. There are several small falls and pools and one bigger falls. The climbing and hiking was shorty and easy. We jumped off some small ledges (you could also just watch and swim), and then we moved to the big falls. The guides helped you down about ½ way so you could do a big jump if you wanted to. There was also a crazy hidden rock cave you could go through, a rope swing, and a couple of more big jumps. One 69 year old man was with another group at the falls and he did it all to huge applause. Great fun, and the guides really helped him get in position to jump, and then helped him back up. All in all, a fantastic stop. We made another unscheduled stop to get golf shirts for two of our group that collected them. They were very fast and Phil first made sure we were all OK with the impromptu start, which we were. Phil really seems to customize to the group du joir, but was also very time concious because he said he wanted to be sure no one was cutting their return times too close. He appreciated our group because when he told us it was about time to leave a spot, we were all eager to mount up and go to the next place. Next we stopped at an uncrowded private beach for drinks and a bit of frolicking. We enjoyed a couple of unique beverages there. Then to Scotties for a really excellent lunch. I’ve been in Jamaica before, but this was my favorite lunch spot by far. Great jerk chicken and pork with a variety of sauces and drink choices (hard or soft). You knew it was good because of the number of locals that get stopping by to eat! We all agreed that lunch was wonderful. Phil played reggae music and actually sang to us on the way back. He finally dropped us back at the port with time to shop before we had to be back aboard. We all said our goodbyes after a great day. We’ve been cruising for years and Phil is the kind of guide we look for...easy going, flexible, affordable, prompt, but also organized and concerned about our comfort and safety. Whether Blue Falls or elsewhere, you’ll be in good hands with Phil. www.jamaicaphil.com
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
carolbeech
First time cruiser

Thanks for the recommendation - we were not feeling the Disney excursions in Jamaica. Did you feel confident he knew the schedule and you had plenty of time? Would you recommend this for a family (two girls, 9 & 12)?
carolbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
DisneyDarwin
Mouseketeer

falmouth

sorry for the slow response, I've been busy since I returned. I would be let Phil drive my kids without me, he is that concerned about safety and returning you on time. I was very surprised when he complained to another tour guide about the unsafe chaperoning of their guests --- he saw one of them slip on a waterfall trail and nearly crack his head open, and he went off. I've never seen that in a tour guide, and was particularly impressed. Yes this trip would be good for your kids --- Phil is a good guide, the waterfall is cool as is the swimming, the beach if fun, and we enjoyed the shoppping and lunch, too. They might enjoy doing the Blue Hole falls and Dunn Falls at the same time; my kid was always adventurous. Enjoy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: