DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
KS_Disney_Dad
I am Keyser Soze

Renting A Lot of Points

We're currently working out the details for a family reunion type trip. We'll need a lot of points. I don't want to wait until we get within the booking window because 1) it's a big check to right to write to one person and hope I wasn't scammed and 2) what if no one can transfer the points I need?

We have 2 contracts for 2 different resorts with 2 different UYs. I know that you can do one transfer in per contract per UY. I'd rather get a transfer for 2013 points on resort 1 and 2 and a transfer for 2014 on resort 1 and 2 (basically break all the points I need to get into 4 transactions).

Since we have separate resorts that hinder the 11 month window, the resorts we get our transferred points from doesn't matter.

So my question is how do I get all these points into one pool of points to make the reservation(s) I need? Don't want to bank / borrow my own points and block myself.

Please show all math and no copying off of your neighbor.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Keep in mind under the rules of transferring points, with points transfers there is a limit to One transfer per Membership, either as a transferee or transferer, during a given Use Year.

We have multiple contracts, 2 Memberships. Once we transferred points into our other Membership, we used our One Transfer, and were told that could not transfer points to our mother's Membership as we had used our One Transfer for that Use Year. Our option was to book the reservations separately under our memberships. Member services linked the reservation together once they had us all on the phone.

Transferring is limited to once per membership.
Transferred points can be banked, they retain the Use Year and Home Resort Priority, Banking window of the contract from which they were transferred.
Banked or Borrowed points may not be transferred.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
Transferring is limited to once per membership.
Transferred points can be banked, they retain the Use Year and Home Resort Priority, Banking window of the contract from which they were transferred.
Banked or Borrowed points may not be transferred.
And transferred points cannot be borrowed.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
KS_Disney_Dad
I am Keyser Soze

So best bet is to have two pools of points going? Get the points I can and bank under contract 1 together along with my points (banking and borrowing) and than do the same for contract 2?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Disney_Dad View Post
So best bet is to have two pools of points going? Get the points I can and bank under contract 1 together along with my points (banking and borrowing) and than do the same for contract 2?
If you have 2 different Membership Numbers, you can have one transfer into each of those. The person transferring cannot transfer borrowed or banked points into your account.

However, you can bank any points which are transferred in. So this may help you, in the event you would like to do a transfer in UY 2013. Bank those points, bank your own. Then have more points transferred in UY2014.

And Yes, you can also use your own banked/borrowed points to have more points for the reservation.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Why don't you just rent the reservation from somebody that owns enough points, lock, stock and barrel, and then just rent out as many of your points as you want to, so you can recoup as much of your investment as you can?

Looks like a far easier process to me given all you're up against trying to get this done as efficiently as possible.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Since you have two separate contracts with two different use years, I would try to book at each resort's 11 month booking window first. Sit down with a piece of paper and figure out how many points you would need for each reservation and resort and find out how much you can do with banking and borrowing of your own points. That will help you decide how many points to rent or transfer.

Example:
You want 2 two bedroom units. If you have enough points with banking and borrowing to book one from each resort for the time you need, start there. If you don't have enough, book what you can and rent a reservation that you can then link to your own.

I would NOT try to transfer in points, because it would be exponentially more confusing to do it that way. If you can only book 5 days with your own points, do that and rent a reservation from David's for the remaining nights and have the two linked. It will be MUCH simpler that way.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

I love transfers.. I would totallllly get a transfer for hopefully same resort as 1 of your homes ( the 1 you want to visit) and aim for a transfer of points for enough minus the points at that resort you have now. Transfers are easy, painless, and instant. To the poster about renting.. I cannot imagine wanting to have someone else holding your RSVP for you. incase you add dining, or change dates cause of air fare, or 1 person adds another name/deletes later.. Transfers are much easier.

You could have 2 with 2 different memberships.. but I would try 1 to keep all at 11 month window at same resort. so you can all be together.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
KS_Disney_Dad
I am Keyser Soze

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
Why don't you just rent the reservation from somebody that owns enough points, lock, stock and barrel, and then just rent out as many of your points as you want to, so you can recoup as much of your investment as you can?

Looks like a far easier process to me given all you're up against trying to get this done as efficiently as possible.
But probably would be more stressful for me

We need two 2 bedrooms and I'm not sure I could hand a complete stranger $4-5k for a reservation.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Disney_Dad View Post
But probably would be more stressful for me

We need two 2 bedrooms and I'm not sure I could hand a complete stranger $4-5k for a reservation.
Have you thought about going through Dave's DVC or The Timeshare Store? It's only a dollar or two more a point for peace of mind. . .
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Rent or transfer. What seems best. I have resv at OKW in May using 311 pts for a 2br villa fo 8 nites. I have 29 pts left from aug2013 uy to borrow if needed .I see a 2br villa @ BLT available for same dates @ 414 pts. Should I look for someone who will transfer me 74 pts or can I rent say 2 nites from someone and reduce my resv to 6 nites? BIG question is can those resv be guaranteed to be linked .Do NOT want to move. Thanks

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: