DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
atkinso
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will say that I did a fair amount of research before putting the money down and spoke with my sales representative multiple times. The ability to use the DVC points elsewhere was a MAJOR selling point made over and over. Interestingly, my sales representative is no longer in that position and I have a new person to talk to now. Easy to deny what was used to sell the points to me that way! I bought in mostly because I have 4 kids with another on the way and figured at least 20 more years of at least one Disney trip each year. The money made sense and probably still does if I can get myself to accept that I won't really ever get to use the points anywhere but DVC. I did see some inklings before buying on this same website regarding the erosion of benefits and maybe that should have raised some suspicion, but so many of you seemed pretty darn happy. I have a call out to my new representative to ask him my options, but haven't heard back yet. If I stay, hope to be a welcome member here for some time. Thanks again and will update when I hear. Best to all.
atkinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinso View Post
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will say that I did a fair amount of research before putting the money down and spoke with my sales representative multiple times. The ability to use the DVC points elsewhere was a MAJOR selling point made over and over. Interestingly, my sales representative is no longer in that position and I have a new person to talk to now. Easy to deny what was used to sell the points to me that way! I bought in mostly because I have 4 kids with another on the way and figured at least 20 more years of at least one Disney trip each year. The money made sense and probably still does if I can get myself to accept that I won't really ever get to use the points anywhere but DVC. I did see some inklings before buying on this same website regarding the erosion of benefits and maybe that should have raised some suspicion, but so many of you seemed pretty darn happy. I have a call out to my new representative to ask him my options, but haven't heard back yet. If I stay, hope to be a welcome member here for some time. Thanks again and will update when I hear. Best to all.

Having a DVC lease (I call it a lease because you have to give it back), has it's pluses and minuses. On one hand if you vacation at WDW every year already at a deluxe resort then DVC will save you money.

On the other hand, if you don't usually take a deluxe vacation, you will have to come up with a the money for a yearly vacation to the same place every year. Many buyers don't take into account the increasing cost of transportation, dues, admission tickets, food, and other things Disney.

I know that our family didn't think that it would be this expensive. Our expenses for 3 adults runs around $3000 per year with a 3% increase each year. That's in addition to our purchase costs who's value has decreased by 30%.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Having a DVC lease (I call it a lease because you have to give it back), has it's pluses and minuses. On one hand if you vacation at WDW every year already at a deluxe resort then DVC will save you money.

On the other hand, if you don't usually take a deluxe vacation, you will have to come up with a the money for a yearly vacation to the same place every year. Many buyers don't take into account the increasing cost of transportation, dues, admission tickets, food, and other things Disney.

I know that our family didn't think that it would be this expensive. Our expenses for 3 adults runs around $3000 per year with a 3% increase each year. That's in addition to our purchase costs who's value has decreased by 30%.

Bill
I think it's a chicken and egg scenario. Does vacationing in deluxe resorts make DVC a money saving option, or does buying DVC allow you to vacation in deluxe resorts. For us, it was the later.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka View Post
So let me get this straight. DVD tried to encourage people to buy direct by removing the ability to trade out resale points. Then, they raised the number of points required to trade out to the point where trading is no longer desireable, and there by devaluing the trade benefit. That makes perfect sense!
The points requirements have ALWAYS been too high to be reasonable for non DVC options, they are simply even worse now. There have been an occasional special situation that worked but in general, it's never been a good value to use points for cash type exchanges. This is nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinso View Post
If your main source of research and faith was retail, you put yourself in a bad position.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
gonzalj1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
just to clarify here, the point requirements for the each DVC resort for the whole year cannot change. any increases in one area have to be offset by decreases elsewhere.

OTOH, point requirements to trade out for cruises and disney hotels can go up with no restrictions.
I see that as semantics more than anything. Tell the couple who bought enough points for 6 nights mid-August that the points are fixed for the resort after their point requirement went up and now they can't go 6 nights in August every year. The simple fact is that the points required for a specific week and accommodation can and have changed.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalj1 View Post
I see that as semantics more than anything. Tell the couple who bought enough points for 6 nights mid-August that the points are fixed for the resort after their point requirement went up and now they can't go 6 nights in August every year. The simple fact is that the points required for a specific week and accommodation can and have changed.
The points have changed 3 times in DVC's history, two of those a single intent spread over 2 years. There was VERY little change for a whole week any of those times. If one bought and did not realize that changes could occur, one didn't do their homework. If one knew it could happen but assumed it wouldn't, they have no one else to blame but themselves. The largest changes for the recent times were for S-F stays. No doubt it one bought X points and now X is not enough, it has an effect. However, there is not a culprit on DVC's or DVD's side in this regard, it's simply the way the cookie crumbles. Plus for every loser, there is a winner since the overall points were unchanged.

Tags
disney cruise line, dvc points, membership

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: