Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Maddle
DIS Veteran

Galveston DCL Airport Transfers

What can you tell me about Disney transfers from IAH (George Bush Houston Intercontinental Airport?)

...and if you have information about Hobby, that might be helpful to other cruisers.

Is Disney running its own branded buses? Are they showing a movie along the way (similar to MCO/Orlando International to Port Canaveral transfers?)

Do they have a check-in computer at the airport like they have at MCO so you are all ready to board the ship when you arrive at the terminal - or will we have to wait in line at the Port?

Our current plan is to stay overnight at the (IAH) Airport Marriott, then come back to the transfer area early the next morning (after we have some breakfast) to catch a bus ride to the port.

Thanks for any information or experiences you can share -

Maddle
Maddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Princess23
Earning My Ears

Hou

We plan on doing the same only we'll be arriving into Hobby (HOU) and we'll be staying at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport.

Also interested in knowing the price of the transfers...and guidance from those off the 1st two Galveston sailings?

Princess23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I called DCL because I didn't even know what airport (s) served Galveston. They said they are running bus transfers from both HOB and IAH for $30 each way, and that HOB was closer.

While I didn't ask, my experience with ports/airports other than PC is that they use rented buses (not DCL cruise line decor) with no movie on the way. They do have a restroom in the back. There is no airport check in at non-standard airports as they don't have the welcome center with computer hook up, etc. They basically have CMs with Mickey hands identifying guests and taking them to one person who has a clipboard indicating who has paid. She did have the ability to book tranfers if you hadn't paid and bill it to the KTTW account. She checks you off and takes you to the bus. I've boarded at at least 4 ports other than PC, and it was essentially the same each time.

In Barcelona they didn't want to get us to the terminal too soon, so they took us on a city tour with a guide!

NOTE- I have not cruised from Galveston; I know only what the CM on the phone said.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
mrsfuzzmo
DIS Veteran

We were on the Inaugeral Magic Gaveston Cruise and booked the Disney transfers.
The transfers were coach type busses, (Woodlands on the side). They were fine. Bathrooms in the back, and while they did have TV screens, there was nothing playing on the way to the port. On the transfers back (same busses) they put the DCL dvd in and it just looped the entire time.

When we got to the luggage area, our bags were pulled and waiting with the DCL reps. (Don't know how they knew which were ours since we didn't put our tags on until we found them there). They took us personally to the coutner and "checked us in", but that was just for the transfer. We still needed to check in at port.

It was all a little disorganized, but I think that was because of it being the first day! Our shuttle driver missed the port and we had to drive down and turn around to get back (we got to see a little more of Galveston this way). They only had about 15 people on the bus and they said they could not fit any more luggage onboard, so we were going to have to wait for the next bus in a half hour. They finally re-organized the luggage and let us board with another 15 or so people.

It was a long drive and I'm glad we booked the shuttles. Took the worry out of having to find the port/parking, etc. We would do this again.
mrsfuzzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
feenie
DIS Veteran

I would be very interested to hear some Houston Hobby specific experiences.
We have a little over 4 weeks until we find out for ourselves, but it would be nice to have a little foreknowledge!

feenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Maddle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddle View Post

Our current plan is to stay overnight at the (IAH) Airport Marriott, then come back to the transfer area early the next morning (after we have some breakfast) to catch a bus ride to the port.

I called today and had my transfers changed from "airport-->cruiseport" to "Marriott Hotel-->cruiseport." So, the pickup will be right at the hotel itself.

I don't know what time that will be. (Hopefully early.) If it doesn't work out, at the worst, I will have to transfer back to the airport to catch the bus.

I confirmed with him that we were talking about the same Marriott at the same airport. He made it clear to me that I was to find my own way to the hotel itself the night before.

Fingers crossed - it will all work out. Anyone have experience with this setup?

Maddle
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Duhey2
Mouseketeer

If you're interested...to get to the IAH Marriott, you'll take the train the one level below baggage claim (regardless of terminal). It's automated and one comes around every 3-5 minutes.

If you're an airline buff, there's a store at the Marriott called the Stopover Store. They have all kinds of stuff related to Continental and United.
Duhey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Maddle
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much! The train was the plan, but I had no idea where it was.

Has anyone been picked up at the hotel itself? I'm sure the front desk will be able to advise, but I'd love to know about someone's recent experience. What was the plan with pick-up time and luggage?

The Stopover Store sounds like a fun idea - we are big United flyers (for better or worse.)

Maddle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: