Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

Question Town Car Service Tip?

How much do you tip the town car driver? Trying to get all my envelopes ready. Thanks.

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollieplus2 View Post
How much do you tip the town car driver? Trying to get all my envelopes ready. Thanks.
A lot depends on how much they do for you, drive, how far, luggage etc.

Min 10% Max 20%.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
addicted_to_WDW
He's a teenaged skate rat. I'm a 39 year old woman.
If you hear The Imperial March when you see me.. run for cover!

We give 20%, but tip half each way because you may not have the same driver for both legs of the trip.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger

How do you tip for round trip?

I understand we will pay total for the round trip when we are dropped off at the arrival to resort.

Do you just give 1/2 of what the total tip would be...for example $100 round trip would be a $20 tip (for good service ) Do you give the driver for the fisrt leg of the trip $10 and the driver who drives the return $10? Or do you tip the first driver the total?

TIA
NC State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
addicted_to_WDW

I'd give each one 10, mentioning something to the first driver about tipping the other half on the way home.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State Tigger View Post
I understand we will pay total for the round trip when we are dropped off at the arrival to resort.

Do you just give 1/2 of what the total tip would be...for example $100 round trip would be a $20 tip (for good service ) Do you give the driver for the fisrt leg of the trip $10 and the driver who drives the return $10? Or do you tip the first driver the total?

TIA
That's the point--you do NOT pay the first driver the total tip as you may have a different driver on the flip side. Also, if at all possible, do not pay for the full round trip fare at the time of the first leg (I do realize that some companies require this; if so, put it on a credit card). There are always instances of the driver not showing up for the return trip, and if you've already paid in cash you have no recourse.

If you have no alternative to a cash payment, at least keep your receipt!

Another "just in case." People have reported being able to negotiate a rate for a cab to the airport from PC. This is good to know just in case your towncar/limo doesn't show up!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
hollieplus2
Tags always make people happy
I kept saying chewable
My toes might appreciate some alone time

We are just doing a one way from WDW to port and the cost is $130. We will have 5 pieces of luggage. Does $15 sound reasonable? Or should it be more or less. I hate trying to figure out tips. Usually I get all nervous and hand over way more than I should. I hate confrontation. This is why I want all the money already divided out for everything so I don't get pressured by my own doing.

July 2006---Pop, ASMovies, Animal Kingdom
September/October 2007---POFQ
December 2009---WDW & DCL
September 2012---POR/ToT 10 Miler
hollieplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
addicted_to_WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
That's the point--you do NOT pay the first driver the total tip as you may have a different driver on the flip side. Also, if at all possible, do not pay for the full round trip fare at the time of the first leg (I do realize that some companies require this; if so, put it on a credit card). There are always instances of the driver not showing up for the return trip, and if you've already paid in cash you have no recourse.

If you have no alternative to a cash payment, at least keep your receipt!

Another "just in case." People have reported being able to negotiate a rate for a cab to the airport from PC. This is good to know just in case your towncar/limo doesn't show up!
This burned us once. We paid RT up front and our cruise diverted to Ft. Lauderdale due to a tropical storm that closed down PC. DCL did a tremendous job of getting everyone to their final destination regardless of who paid what. I made a half hearted attempt to get my money back from the towncar company for the return leg we didn't use, but I didn't worry that much about it because we didn't pay DCL (in other words we paid for RT and got RT but not wholly from the company we paid).
Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollieplus2 View Post
We are just doing a one way from WDW to port and the cost is $130. We will have 5 pieces of luggage. Does $15 sound reasonable? Or should it be more or less. I hate trying to figure out tips. Usually I get all nervous and hand over way more than I should. I hate confrontation. This is why I want all the money already divided out for everything so I don't get pressured by my own doing.
The normal tip to the driver would be 20%; in fact, read the fine print on your agreement. Sometimes the tip is included. If you are paying $130 for the transportation, the tip should be about $25.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Pinkandproud
Mouseketeer

Great info! Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post

This burned us once. We paid RT up front and our cruise diverted to Ft. Lauderdale due to a tropical storm that closed down PC.
Hurricane Frances, 2004. I remember Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale well.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: