Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
HDCooper
Mouseketeer

NOOK color VS LeapPad

My husband and I both have iPads. Our children, ages 7 and 4 love playing and learning on them. iPads are not in the Christmas budget. For DD7, I was thinking about buying the NOOK color. I was originally going to buy them both a LeapPad. Do any of your children have a NOOK color? What are your opinions about them?

After looking at the prices of the games for the LeapPad, I am now wondering if I should get DS4 a NOOK color too. What are your thoughts on the NOOK color VS the LeapPad?
Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
momtotwins
Mouseketeer

this is not exaclty what you asked but very similar. we are buying our 3 year old a kindle fire. dh and i are getting them, and they love games. we figured after a game or 2 the price wont be too far away.
momtotwins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Especially for the 7 year old, I owuld go Nook. You might get another year out of interest in the leap pad, but I doubt it. They are on to bigger and better by that age typically. That, coupled with the cost of games for the leap pad would steer me away.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
mrseace711
DIS Veteran

The LeapPad would be great for your 4yr old. Have you considered an iPod Touch for your 7yr old? The Nooks primary function is an e-reader with options to do other things like play games. The iPod Touch is like a mini iPad.

1st Trip Sept 11-15,2011 All-Star Music
2nd Trip BOOKED Feb.23-Mar.1, 2013 Planning Our NEXT trip 2013
mrseace711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I wouldn't do the Leap Pad, especially for the 7 year old. I think the Leap Frog products are great, but my DS has always been too advanced for them. I would look into the Kindle Fire. It can access apps, books, music etc. I seriously considered getting one, but my mom is now getting us an ipad as a family gift (woohoo!). I also agree with the touch. You might be able to snag an iphone on the second hand market to which can be used as a touch. A lot of people upgrading to the new iphone 4s will be unloading their old iphones. That is what we are doing for DS5. I upgraded my iphone and now he is getting my old one to use as a touch for Christmas. I bought an otterbox case for it and am in the process now of loading it up with music, game and movies for him. He is going to be THRILLED and it only cost me about $25 (for the case and apps I bought for him) as opposed to $200 for a new itouch.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
hsembrick
DIS Veteran

My DD9 has a Nook Color and uses it for reading and some games but the games are very expensive and there is not a lot of them compared to what is available on the apple/android market. That being said the NookColor does have fantastic graphics for the games and playing movies on them is very easy as well.

I have a Nook Color as well and I love it!!!

* 2006 - AKL * 2007 - Off site * 2008 - OKW * 2009 - ASMo
* 2010 - WL * 2011 - POP * Dec 2011 - ASMu

hsembrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: