Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
pxydst
Mouseketeer

Question POR Garden view

Are the garden view rooms a step up from the parkinglot view or are they the same?? do they have them in all of the buildings or is there just a a few ? when do we 'request' a room in the AB buildins so we can have a trundle/murphy bed?? thank you for your help!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

We had a standard view at POR and to be honest I'm not sure why there is any difference. We never really looked out our windows and there are no balconies. Next time we will get a standard room again.
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Basically a Garden view guarantees you won't have a parking lot view. We make any requests when we make our reservation. A few weeks before our trip, I usually phone to check that our requests are noted on res.

If there are 5 in your room you have priority for Trundle bed. If there are less then 5 in your room, they will try to give you one if there are extra not needed for families with 5.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Yes, here is the list with a description of the types of rooms POR offer. Got this from the portorleans.org site

Standard: These rooms are the new basic standard, and presumably most rooms in this category will face towards parking lots. Standard view rooms can be located in any of the buildings at French Quarter except for 2, 5 and 6, and any building at Riverside EXCEPT for Alligator Bayou lodges 14, 15, 18 and 27 (which are designated as Preferred).

Garden View: These rooms offer views of the gardens, courtyards, landscaping or bayou. Garden View rooms can be located in any of the buildings at French Quarter, and any building at Riverside EXCEPT for Alligator Bayou lodges 14, 15, 18 and 27 (which are designated as Preferred). $10 per night surcharge.

Preferred Room (Riverside, Alligator Bayou only): These rooms offer close proximity to the restaurants, transportation and main building at Riverside. Preferred room are located in Alligator Bayou lodges 14, 15, 18 and 27 only (there are no preferred rooms located in the mansion buildings). $25 per night surcharge.

King Bed: These rooms feature one king-size bed only, and have a maximum occupancy of two persons. Views and locations vary around the whole of the resort. There is only a limited quantity of these rooms available — just 62 in French Quarter for example. $25 per night surcharge.

Water View: These rooms offer views of swimming pools or other water features. Technically river views are no longer included in this category, but you may get lucky. These rooms are spread around many of the buildings at the resort, for example at Riverside in 16, 17, 18, 24, 25, 35, 36, 39 and the mansion buildings. $25 per night surcharge.

River View: These rooms offer direct views of the Sassagoula River, but they do not guarantee any particular proximity to the main buildings — however at Riverside, all of the directly river-facing rooms give fairly convenient access to the facilities areas anyway. River View rooms are located in French Quarter buildings 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7, or at Riverside in Alligator Bayou lodges 14, 18, 27, 38 and the mansion buildings. $30 per night surcharge.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

It's true, at the moderates there are no balconies to enjoy your view, and I wouldn't bother paying for a water or river view, but I don't want to be on the parking lot so will pay for Garden View.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
pxydst
Mouseketeer

I booked online and that is what we were given, we did not have a choice of views! Thank you everyone, this is our first visit to POR but our 10th visit to the Kingdom!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

I just posted a question about this on the POR forum. (I did a search for a standard POR thread, but this one did not come up) On line they only list the Garden view option for family of 5 AB section, there is no "standard" room option??? What is the deal?

This is our fourth stay at POR, and honestly the way the rooms are situated and the fact that people can just walk by and look in, makes us never keep the blinds open. So the view does not matter one iota to me, in fact it is irrelavant at POR for us. I care about the view at BC or the POLY because we can enjoy it. So why pay for, what you do not get IMHO? Now some may not care that others are walking by their room windows, but we are not that family.

So where are the gosh darn standard rooms in AB?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
I just posted a question about this on the POR forum. (I did a search for a standard POR thread, but this one did not come up) On line they only list the Garden view option for family of 5 AB section, there is no "standard" room option??? What is the deal?

This is our fourth stay at POR, and honestly the way the rooms are situated and the fact that people can just walk by and look in, makes us never keep the blinds open. So the view does not matter one iota to me, in fact it is irrelavant at POR for us. I care about the view at BC or the POLY because we can enjoy it. So why pay for, what you do not get IMHO? Now some may not care that others are walking by their room windows, but we are not that family.

So where are the gosh darn standard rooms in AB?
AB has standard rooms but they may be sold out for your dates, which is why garden view is coming up. It would be the next lowest room category next to standard view.

OP - we booked standard view and ended up with a room they could have very well called a courtyard view - it was third floor and overlooked a nice fountain in the back of Acadian House. But the parking lot was just beyond it. We did keep our blinds closed most of the time and had no interest in dragging a chair out to the public walkway to enjoy any view. Also, if you are a family of 5, you will automatically be put into AB. If you aren't, you can call and add the request for AB at any time.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
AB has standard rooms but they may be sold out for your dates, which is why garden view is coming up. It would be the next lowest room category next to standard view.

OP - we booked standard view and ended up with a room they could have very well called a courtyard view - it was third floor and overlooked a nice fountain in the back of Acadian House. But the parking lot was just beyond it. We did keep our blinds closed most of the time and had no interest in dragging a chair out to the public walkway to enjoy any view. Also, if you are a family of 5, you will automatically be put into AB. If you aren't, you can call and add the request for AB at any time.
sold out for Aug? already that does not seem right?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
sold out for Aug? already that does not seem right?
Were you trying to book under a promotion or pin code? If so, they only allot a certain number of rooms for promos, so standard rooms could be sold out for the promo and possibly available without the promo. If you were not trying to book under a promotion or pin code, then I don't know.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Were you trying to book under a promotion or pin code? If so, they only allot a certain number of rooms for promos, so standard rooms could be sold out for the promo and possibly available without the promo. If you were not trying to book under a promotion or pin code, then I don't know.
no not using a promo code but it could be for the first possible day of free dining so maybe that is the case. hmmmmmmmmm, who da thunk? I am going to play around with the dates now.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
no not using a promo code but it could be for the first possible day of free dining so maybe that is the case. hmmmmmmmmm, who da thunk? I am going to play around with the dates now.
When I booked POR back in September for our upcoming Feb trip, only garden view came up for our dates as well, but I was using the free dining promo.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: